Fighter's Challenge Strategies!! Level 6 to 5 secret

This is the forum for helping you out if you're stuck or if you want to discuss the nitty gritty details of the dungeons within Mount Grimrock. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
bossonova

Fighter's Challenge Strategies!! Level 6 to 5 secret

Post by bossonova »

So what is everyone's strategy for beating the fighters challenge? It really is a tough one.
marcuz99

Re: Fighter's Challenge Strategies!! Level 6 to 5 secret

Post by marcuz99 »

for me this worked:
1) run toward the closest wall, possibly at a corner;
2) throw bombs from the rear instead of missiles (because you would not get the chance to pick the projectiles up in the crowd)
3) having the two melee fighters using fast weapons and having been built to this kind of happenings: one for evasion, one for protection, so at least one stands;
4) having a batch of health potions ready and the inventory open.
Iwar_Iwin

Post by Iwar_Iwin »

SpoilerShow
I first made some healing potions for my two fighters - like three each. I first fought to the gold key, then fought to the door and opened it up then fought from there. I didnt care about my two weak guys in the back as I could not see any way to keep them alive. To be able to move before an alien took the spot of his dead buddy I kept pressing forward while fighting.
Here is another strategy I found out after clearing room
SpoilerShow
There is also a button that opens a wall section that could be used to fight from, but didnt see that till after I was done.
Rob

Post by Rob »

I honestly just equipped all my guys with the most damaging possibilities and preferably with as many area of effect things as possible, and tried until I cried, then tried again. In the end, I managed. Healing potions are key though.
resonansER

Post by resonansER »

In front of me closed door and the inscription "Fighters Challenge". How do I open the door? I'm don't see any lever or button. HELP.
Zialot

Post by Zialot »

resonansER wrote:In front of me closed door and the inscription "Fighters Challenge". How do I open the door? I'm don't see any lever or button. HELP.
You need to conform some conditions. I am not really sure about all of them, but at least as i know:
- you must have a good equipped fighter ( or 2 ) in your party ( not lower than a 7 lvl ).
- you need to fined 2 Swords and equipped by them your first line party members - FireBlade and a Sword of Nex. ( for example, when i was there by myself, door is not opened for my until i put both swords in a hands of my fighters. After that, when it complitly opened, i change 1 of them back to a axe, because i got one of my fighters on axe specialization ).
- before you reach that door, you need to go down stairs to the next lvl, than go back to a fighters challenge.

About Strategy, here on forum, there was already been a good strategy with a video, for a hardcore/old school mod. I used it too. The point is in a fast moving into one of the corners, to get damadge only from 2 sides, not from 4. As for me, i specially equipped my most healthy and heavy armored fighter with all heal potions as i have ( i drink all of them befor, to get more empty potions, and then make more heal ), alchemy tool and herbs ( i've got 27 herb for a heal potions on that moment. And i spend all of them in that fight) and most of all bombs that i have. I leave 2 bombs in each hand of my mage and rogue, just for the first attack.They die very quickly, so it is not nessesary to keep more than that. Before entering into the battle, i also drink a speed potion by my fighter too. After teleporting into the room, i quickly run forward to a closed gate, turn right and run to the corner. Three of my party chars was already killed at that moment. I droped bombs 1 by 1 by myself ( drag it with a mouse button, and drop, one from hole stack, not all of them ), and of course hit with my primary sword. Drinked heal potions and made new ones at the same time ( character sheet, was opened all the time ).

Well, i can say that it wasnt easy for me, i spend 1 hour on the fail rounds, but at last i won this battle :D
resonansER

Post by resonansER »

Zialot, i'm understood! Thank you so much!!!
Lmaoboat

Post by Lmaoboat »

Grab the gold key the Ogre drops and don't use it on the shop, go to the Fighter's Challenge, make a beeline to the gate and unlock it with the key to fight the enemies one at a time, and use the gold key in the Fighter's Challenge for the shop. Also, you could try hiding in the secret on the left, haven't tested it myself.
gambit37

Post by gambit37 »

@Zialot: You only need "Sword of Nex" in your inventory to open Fighter's Challenge. You don't need to do any of the other stuff.
Last edited by gambit37 on Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zialot

Post by Zialot »

resonansER wrote:Zialot, i'm understood! Thank you so much!!!
Glad to help ;)
gambit37 wrote:@Zilaot: You only need "Sword of Nex" in your inventory to open Fighter's Challenge. You don't need to do any of the other stuff.
Well, i wrote how it was for me. I do everything that i wrote and the door, doesnt opened for me until i get in hands of my fighters both swords. I dont know why it happands so, but it was. :roll: