Is LoG a shameless copy of a classic?

Talk about anything Legend of Grimrock 1 related here.
Loktofeit

Re: Is LoG a shameless copy of a classic?

Post by Loktofeit »

earthyearth wrote:its like saying that all MMORPGS are copies of World of Warcraft just cuz they are MMOs in fantasy settings
A little part of me just died inside when I read that. :cry:
Vestilence

Post by Vestilence »

earthyearth wrote:its like saying that all MMORPGS are copies of World of Warcraft just cuz they are MMOs in fantasy settings
'Everquest'
seebs

Post by seebs »

Not in the least. First, WoW is a relatively late-model fantasy MMO; if there was a game like DM before DM, I never heard of it. Secondly, it is very, very, clear from the interviews and materials and dungeon design that this game is trying very hard to reflect DM's basic choices -- look at the graphics for the teleporters, for instance.
t0tem

Post by t0tem »

Short answer: yes. so?
quester99

Post by quester99 »

Of course it is. And I LOVE it.

But, I would have to argue the choice of the word 'shameless'.

I think almosthuman is 'proud' to have paid honor to dungeon master with this great new creative work. I know I am proud of them. They have nothing to be ashamed about. Why should they? They put a lot of love and dedication into this project.

There is almost unlimited choices of genres and game offerings nowadays if they want a different style. Personally I am so glad to have this type of game and hope it leads to more.
eternal

Post by eternal »

Just like with any of the arts there will always be some level of replication. You can't escape it. But what you can do is take something that worked and expand on it and make it better. This is what we have with LoG.
This guy is throwing words like "shameless" around with no real idea of what it means. If he does know what it means then ironically he is a bigger idiot for using it in this context. And i say this being one of the people who don't think LoG is as good as the majority of reviews make it out to be.
krayzkrok

Post by krayzkrok »

Um, is something being lost in the translation there? It may be that he actually means it in a complimentary manner, nuances lost by Google Translate. Otherwise, if LoG is a shameless copy, where does that leave Eye of the Beholder, Lands of Lore, Captive, and dozens of other games directly influenced by Dungeon Master? There's no shame in homage or inspiration, especially when it improves upon the formula.
Rob

Post by Rob »

And as others have pointed out: Where does it actually leave Dungeonmaster itself? Tracing they lineage of all these things only make people angry at each other.
Scase

Post by Scase »

Loktofeit wrote:
A little part of me just died inside when I read that. :cry:
Haha my thoughts exactly.

Newsflash WoW was a copy :P
Pumpelche

Post by Pumpelche »

Journalists tend to play bad-boy-with-pencil sometimes. It does not allways work.