Things the devs didn't think through

Talk about anything Legend of Grimrock 1 related here.
Melvoid

Re: Things the devs didn't think through

Post by Melvoid »

i think this all boils down to the fact that to my knowledge the devs just havent stated anywhere that " yes this is the list of skills but in a reasonable playthrough of this this FIRST dungeon in a series !!! you will not be expected to max all these trees although maybe max one for the hell of it"
I like to think that the next expansion will be such that you will be able to progress your characters further up the trees etc etc till maybe a THIRD expansion at which point they might re-upholster the skill trees and say to the community "right here you go you have all the mod tools you need you have played these dungeons to death , now go do something amazing with it"

I live in hope 8-)
Intruder313

Post by Intruder313 »

The OP is right: the Ability paths suggest a much higher level cap - or you have to over-focus on 1 path to pursue some of the "best" features but at the expense of a rounded character

I think the game needs either more XP/Levels or more Skill Points per Level
or
Foreknowledge of what sort of level you'll reach so you can plan accordingly

My Fighter was quite Athletic and could carry a lot but his Melee skills were crap - I was planning to develop those later...
My other Fighter was OK with his Axe but lacked in other areas

And so on. I reckon a lot of people will have ended up with 4 completely "meh" characters - sure they can complete the game but why include all those tempting abilities if you can't really reach them.

I don't want the ability to make 4 perfect super-characters but right now the balance is off.
Darklord

Post by Darklord »

Intruder313 wrote: I think the game needs either more XP/Levels or more Skill Points per Level
or
Foreknowledge of what sort of level you'll reach so you can plan accordingly
You can complete the game just how it is now, more XP/Skill points would make it easier. Instead you have a choice of going extreme in one skill or having a bit of several.
Intruder313 wrote: Foreknowledge of what sort of level you'll reach so you can plan accordingly
Well you don't really need to know everything for your first play through, and by your 2nd you've learnt this yourself. If you do want to know all the tips and tricks for your first play through then you will probably view a guide which tells you this along with other useful hints. :)

Daniel.
A gently fried snail slice is absolutely delicious with a pat of butter...
Drax

Post by Drax »

Having to view a guide to clarify details of stats isn't good.
Darklord

Post by Darklord »

Drax wrote:Having to view a guide to clarify details of stats isn't good.
Well there is a lot of detail in game, anything that isn't you don't really need to know. I do understand that many of us do like extra detail though. :)

Daniel.
Loktofeit

Post by Loktofeit »

CV77 wrote:The auxiliary skills come to mind.

I mean nobody can ever get anywhere near Iron Body (Athletics), Armor Master (Armors), Ninja Master (Dodge), Master Assassin (Assassination), Archmage (Spellcraft) and Staff Master (Staff Defense) simply because you'd have to put 0 points in your weapons/magic skill trees in which case you'd never leave the first level alive.

Or am I missing something?
It's not a matter of missing something, but a matter of perception of what the game itself is.

What Grimrock really is :

The spell system, gear, skill trees, level range, etc is all created with future campaigns - player created or dev expansions - in mind. Legend of Grimrock is just the beginning of the adventure in a game system created specifically for extensibility and replayability far beyond the dozen or so levels released. This is why you have a campaign selection option at the beginning of a game with only one campaign.

Had players been able to max out two or more skill trees, it would have reduced what can be gained in later content.
Had there been more than a couple dozen spells, it would have greatly reduced the options available for user-created spells.
Had players been able to get to 50 in the current dungeon, there would be no room for leveling in later dungeons.

when looked at as a base kit designed specifically for a much longer term functionality, Legend of Grimrock is actually brilliantly designed, with an incredible amount of foresight on the part of the developers.

Last edited by Loktofeit on Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Darklord

Post by Darklord »

Loktofeit wrote: when looked at as a base kit designed specifically for a much longer term functionality, Legend of Grimrock is actually brilliantly designed, with an incredible amount of foresight on the part of the developers.
Exactly, as opposed to the title of this thread, I think, "The devs DID think this through" ;)

Daniel.
t0tem

Post by t0tem »

Ugh, Don't show pictures of DD4E here man. We're 30+, we hate that shit.

EDIT: Thank you!
Last edited by t0tem on Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Loktofeit

Post by Loktofeit »

Yyyyy wrote: I'm yet to figure out what makes the uggardians and lvl9 creature respawn or what is the time, but it's long
SpoilerShow
Drop down a pit.
Loktofeit

Post by Loktofeit »

t0tem wrote:Ugh, Don't show pictures of DD4E here man. We're 30+, we hate that shit.
Was looking for 2nd Edition but this was the first that came up. I feel your pain, though. :)

EDIT: Fixed.