Crossbow more powerful than Crookhorn?

This is the forum for helping you out if you're stuck or if you want to discuss the nitty gritty details of the dungeons within Mount Grimrock. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
Lukasaurus

Crossbow more powerful than Crookhorn?

Post by Lukasaurus »

I've had the crossbow since about level 4 or whenever the earliest is that you can pick it up. I am in level 10 and found a better bow than the earlier bow, but the crossbow is still more powerful. The stats are crossbow strength 20, speed 9, and the crookhorn bow is str 19 speed 11. Does speed make a huge difference?
Gahluisse

Re: Crossbow more powerful than Crookhorn?

Post by Gahluisse »

A good reason to use the bow would be the fact that you should have way more arrows than quarrels, so you will not run out of projectiles against stronger ennemies. But... well, that's also a good reason to keep both the bow and the crossbow.
Cyriel

Post by Cyriel »

Crookhorn has higher speed compared to other bows. The tradeoff is 1 attack power for 2 speed rating, resulting in much more damage over a shorter period of time (especially with double fire)

And, as said, there's more arrows than bolts available earlier in :)
Vermis

Post by Vermis »

I just found this bow as well and I was rather disappointed. Perhaps it's design error? True, there are more arrows early on but I never had a problem with bolts really (the battles early on are over quite fast) and by the time I got my hands on the Crookhorn I had 28 bolts. Enough for every fight I've had so far. In comparison I have 29 arrows.

Also, remember the arrows have attack power 1 and the bolts 2, so in reality the crossbow is 22/9 and the bow 20/11. Both 31 points total. Is the speed really THAT good? I'd accept it if the bow shot magical arrows you didn't have to enchant beforehand, but this seems more and more like an error to me.

Developer opinion?
Darklord

Post by Darklord »

Vermis wrote: Also, remember the arrows have attack power 1 and the bolts 2, so in reality the crossbow is 22/9 and the bow 20/11. Both 31 points total. Is the speed really THAT good?
Killing an enemy with that one extra shot you get before you die = Priceless! :P

It's a matter of taste, personally I go for slow weapons, dance in and do a massive hit, then dance out again. :)

Daniel.
A gently fried snail slice is absolutely delicious with a pat of butter...
Vermis

Post by Vermis »

Indeed, I just love the Ancient Axe on my minotank. Crazy Rampage hits, 300 in one swing! That said, slightly more speed for a little less damage after 6 levels behind the last Iron Door... meh. It just doesn't make sense! 8-)
Darklord

Post by Darklord »

Vermis wrote:Indeed, I just love the Ancient Axe on my minotank. Crazy Rampage hits, 300 in one swing!
Haha, yes me to! I love that Ancient Axe! :D

Only trouble I have is it drains my Mino's stamina like anything! Talk about a one hit wonder! :lol:

Daniel.
A gently fried snail slice is absolutely delicious with a pat of butter...
Poomermon

Post by Poomermon »

Crookhorn is a better ranged weapon. It gives you 2 point speed bonus which compared to crossbow is a 22 % increase. Crossbow does +2 more damage (bolts do 2 damage and arrows only 1) but compared to endgame attack power which should be around 50 or something that 2 damage is only about 4 % decrease.
Empyrean

Post by Empyrean »

Weapon speed is effectively a multiplier. A weapon with 20 speed will attack twice as fast as a weapon with 10 speed. Poomermon's explanation is correct.
Vermis

Post by Vermis »

Thanks, both 8-)