Old school gaming Vs New games : Thoughts

Talk about anything Legend of Grimrock 1 related here.
Whisper

Re: Old school gaming Vs New games : Thoughts

Post by Whisper »

NakedGranny wrote: A snarky work of pure satyr does not count as evidence. Go back to school, unless you're an American, in which case you should emigrate first.
Satyr? Satire?
If English is your native language, you should go to school yourself, mate.

Back to the topic: wish it was satire, but this is as close to most modern popular games as it can get.
Drax

Post by Drax »

Whisper wrote:
NakedGranny wrote: but this is as close to most modern popular games as it can get.
One video about one genre of gaming encapsulates the past, what, 15 years of gaming?

How bizarre.
Whisper

Post by Whisper »

Drax wrote: One video about one genre of gaming encapsulates the past, what, 15 years of gaming?
How bizarre.
Tendencies in evolution of games, from reasonably challenging into casually-oriented ones, dumbed down and simplified.
Last edited by Whisper on Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bokonon

Post by Bokonon »

Most of new games are not so hard as old school ones. But there are some - EVE Online for example. Many newcomers are leaving this game every day with crying :)
Spathi

Post by Spathi »

Whisper wrote:
Drax wrote: One video about one genre of gaming encapsulates the past, what, 15 years of gaming?
How bizarre.
Tendencies casually-oriented ones, dumbed down and simplified.
I thought that was what quake was? lol lol

What I find is "block buster" hyped games like quake are just like Crysis or whatever. Some dude will make a video about how great Crysis was in ten years.
Bokonon

Post by Bokonon »

I don't play Crysis, but Quake is hell fast, maybe the fastest FPS i know. It makes this game really hard. Maybe its the toughest FPS (depends if you play multiplayer) with old Counter Strike.
Spathi

Post by Spathi »

I found it pretty easy, finished it and played with a friend next door who also finished it and we ran around shooting each other for a day, which was really fun, but got pointless real fast. I would not think of it as a great game though. It maxed out hardware at the time, and was a first for its 3D engine quality.

There was a better fast online game since 1996 that people still play now, Subspace, but that was an enigma to learn how it is fun and where to play and when, but it is crazy skilled fun. Probably hard to get into now as the player influx got stale after about seven years and is just plodding for the last 7 years. Non-fps, but human error is measured in milliseconds.
http://www.extreme-games.net
Last edited by Spathi on Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Drax

Post by Drax »

Whisper wrote:
How bizarre.
Tendencies in evolution of games, from reasonably challenging into casually-oriented ones, dumbed down and simplified.
A video that references very little. That also uses Quake, a game designed to be simple. Note, simple isn't the same as easy. But the challenge of Quake is in the play style, not the game.

Though if you want to judge how challenging is a decade of games by a handful of games from one genre, that's your decision.

Not to mention how subjective 'challenge' is.
gambit37

Post by gambit37 »

The point of the Quake satire video is to show that FPS games used to be FUN. Players didn't need to be told what to do, they didn't need DLC, they just got on and played and had a blast working stuff out for themselves.
Doom and Duke Nukem 3D were the same. Not at all sophisticated or deep by today's standards, but man were they FUN!
FUN is the name of the game and it's not unfair to say that most modern FPSs don't come anywhere close to the fun factor of Quake, Doom et al.
Spathi

Post by Spathi »

Yeah creeping through the bushes 20m deep only to be shot by some dude 3km away from a boat, was disappointing... farcry

I suppose people must have liked Quake. There have been good fun and great fun fps games since Quake though.

I like Dark Messiah and most of the other M&M, but to be fair it is probably a genre thing. I did like Prey, which was a bit closer.
oh and every single Valve game is sexy, but that is a given.

If you like fun, online teamwork rather than endlessly killing other players, although you can do that as well, then L4D is my pick. L4D 1 is slightly better than 2.
Last edited by Spathi on Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:46 pm, edited 6 times in total.