Any help for MAC owners?

Talk about anything Legend of Grimrock 1 related here.
Velshu

Re: Any help for MAC owners?

Post by Velshu »

Patchumz wrote:It's coming eventually. For now (when it comes out) try it with Wine, see if it works. That's what I'll be doing.

And if you don't have Wine, shame on you :P. (All true Mac gamers should be ready with alternatives ^^)
I don't have Wine. Now that you mentioned it, which Wine I should download to be able to play games on Mac OS X? :o I'm no good with gaming stuff when it is related to computers :D
Patchumz

Post by Patchumz »

Velshu wrote:
Patchumz wrote:It's coming eventually. For now (when it comes out) try it with Wine, see if it works. That's what I'll be doing.

And if you don't have Wine, shame on you :P. (All true Mac gamers should be ready with alternatives ^^)
I don't have Wine. Now that you mentioned it, which Wine I should download to be able to play games on Mac OS X? :o I'm no good with gaming stuff when it is related to computers :D
The easiest way is with this: http://winebottler.kronenberg.org/

Just install, then it becomes the default program for running .exe's and stuff.

Ideally you'd want the command line version, since it's much more up to date, but ultimately it's not needed, this will work fine. And the command line version is a lot more work to set up, so I don't recommend it if you're not good at that kind of stuff ^^.

Not everything runs in Wine, looking the game up on http://appdb.winehq.org/ can usually tell you if it runs in Wine. (Not everything is on there though)
Velshu

Post by Velshu »

Patchumz wrote:
Velshu wrote:

The easiest way is with this: http://winebottler.kronenberg.org/

Just install, then it becomes the default program for running .exe's and stuff.

Ideally you'd want the command line version, since it's much more up to date, but ultimately it's not needed, this will work fine. And the command line version is a lot more work to set up, so I don't recommend it if you're not good at that kind of stuff ^^.

Not everything runs in Wine, looking the game up on http://appdb.winehq.org/ can usually tell you if it runs in Wine. (Not everything is on there though)
Thank you! This helped a lot! =)
PeyloW

Post by PeyloW »

One problem with using Bootcamp, WMWare, or Parallels on your Mac is that the required Windows license cost at least 5 times as much as the announced price for Legend of Grimrock. I tried to get the hardware test build to run on WIne, with no success. Thats about as much hassle I want, there is a reason why I chose to use computers that Just Work™.

Purchasing a Windows license to play a game is not worth it. I earn my living as a software developer so no piracy is a matter of principle, not even for Windows. Even if I did buy a Windows license it is against my principles, not that I am against Windows, but because me buying Windows to play a game sends the wrong signals to game developers. If I cave in and buy the Windows version then the actual demand for Mac games gets hidden behind a false demand for Windows games.

So I bide my time, and buy the Mac version when it arrives. As I did with Rage, Civilization V, and so many more. My favorite game devs are Blizzard, they ship Mac and PC on the same day, and on the same disks, but then they have quite deep pockets compared to almost human.
Patchumz

Post by Patchumz »

PeyloW wrote:One problem with using Bootcamp, WMWare, or Parallels on your Mac is that the required Windows license cost at least 5 times as much as the announced price for Legend of Grimrock. I tried to get the hardware test build to run on WIne, with no success. Thats about as much hassle I want, there is a reason why I chose to use computers that Just Work™.

Purchasing a Windows license to play a game is not worth it. I earn my living as a software developer so no piracy is a matter of principle, not even for Windows. Even if I did buy a Windows license it is against my principles, not that I am against Windows, but because me buying Windows to play a game sends the wrong signals to game developers. If I cave in and buy the Windows version then the actual demand for Mac games gets hidden behind a false demand for Windows games.

So I bide my time, and buy the Mac version when it arrives. As I did with Rage, Civilization V, and so many more. My favorite game devs are Blizzard, they ship Mac and PC on the same day, and on the same disks, but then they have quite deep pockets compared to almost human.
They already planned to make a Mac version, priority lies in actually keeping the company afloat though :P. The hardware test isn't a good indication.

Also, Microsoft isn't worth money. If I need windows, I "find" my own. (Still charging $100-300 for a 10 year old OS, lol)
Darklord

Post by Darklord »

Patchumz wrote: The hardware test isn't a good indication.
Well it isn't definite, but it is mostly the same program, I'd say it's promising if nothing else. :)

Daniel.
A gently fried snail slice is absolutely delicious with a pat of butter...
Patchumz

Post by Patchumz »

Darklord wrote:
Patchumz wrote: The hardware test isn't a good indication.
Well it isn't definite, but it is mostly the same program, I'd say it's promising if nothing else. :)

Daniel.
There were also Wine bugs that have been fixed since then, including a massive Wine update.
ironmadeit

Post by ironmadeit »

I am an mac owner and use code weaver "crossover" most indie games work and it is the only program i use, it is good not to need a licence, on the other hand if you have space (i own an macair with limited space) i sure should use bootcamp then everything works good luck ;)
Patchumz

Post by Patchumz »

ironmadeit wrote:I am an mac owner and use code weaver "crossover" most indie games work and it is the only program i use, it is good not to need a licence, on the other hand if you have space (i own an macair with limited space) i sure should use bootcamp then everything works good luck ;)
CrossOver is one of the most popular Wine front ends ^^. I'd use it if they didn't charge a ton for continued use of an otherwise free product.