Level 3 -> Level 4 Jump onto Snail Causes Intersection

Have trouble running Grimrock 1 or you're wondering if your graphics card is supported? Look for help here.
Netjera

Level 3 -> Level 4 Jump onto Snail Causes Intersection

Post by Netjera »

I was on level 3 in the first room. After killing all the monsters, I reopened the trap, saved under my Level 3 save, then jumped down below. This happened just as a snail was underneath, so I promptly squished it and got the "I use gravity as a weapon!" achievement. (Yay!) Saved again, picked up the snail leavings and tried to move forward to search for a way back up to level 3.

"Ugh!" "Ugh!" "Ugh!" That's the sound my character now makes when I try to move in ANY direction. I can only actually move down the hallway, but turning to face the hallway and attempting to move forward, causes a "bounce" and my character to protest in the above fashion as if he's taking damage (although he doesn't actually appear to be). I can turn around in-place in three directions, facing the hallway and left and right of there, but I can't turn around to face the wall, and attempting to move forward, backward or strafe from any facing direction into the hallway causes me to be stuck.

Unfortunately - I saved over the level 3 save instead of making a level 4 save as I usually do, and now if I have to reload, it will be back on level 2. >.<

Aside from reporting the bug, I was hoping someone might know a cheat code or something I can use to pull myself out of the geometry? (I'm thinking of WoW's "stuck" command which moves you one space in any direction into an open location.) Anything? Please?

System Specs:

Toshiba Satellite L675D Laptop
AMD Athalon II P320 Dual Core Processor 2.10 GHz
4.00 GB RAM
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4200 Series 1GB
64b Windows 7 Home Premium

Also currently running: Trillian

EDIT: Nevermind, just ignore me. I just realized that when I picked up the snail bit, it encumbered my fighter. *eyeroll* I'll leave this post up so folks know what happened and can find it, if necessary. I didn't notice, but she had a red snail with an "x" through it. As soon as I moved something to someone else, she stopped grunting and I could move again. Sorry!
"You don't stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing."
PlNG

Re: Level 3 -> Level 4 Jump onto Snail Causes Intersection

Post by PlNG »

The red X is seriously overencumbered, which not only taxes your member, it increases food consumption. I mean I notice a slight change in the tone and speed of movement if even one of my party members is encumbered. You WILL need to be light (as in unencumbered) on your feet for some of the later puzzles of the game. Ditch any weapons and armor you do not need, but do keep potentially (if you plan to fulfill that potential) useful weapons and armor.
Netjera

Re: Level 3 -> Level 4 Jump onto Snail Causes Intersection

Post by Netjera »

PlNG wrote:The red X is seriously overencumbered, which not only taxes your member, it increases food consumption. I mean I notice a slight change in the tone and speed of movement if even one of my party members is encumbered. You WILL need to be light (as in unencumbered) on your feet for some of the later puzzles of the game. Ditch any weapons and armor you do not need, but do keep potentially (if you plan to fulfill that potential) useful weapons and armor.
Hmm I had a LOT of trouble with the gate puzzle on level 3 where you're trying to avoid the rotating teleports. I wonder if this was why? Two of my party are over encumbered. I didn't notice a difference in movement speed, so I kept stuff because I was hoping there'd be a merchant or some other use on a later level. It never occurred to me it would affect how well they reacted. hmm I don't know whether to raise a toast to the developers or cry, rofl. :D Thanks for telling me!
"You don't stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing."