Some serious suggestions for the future

Talk about anything Legend of Grimrock 1 related here.
gambit37

Re: Some serious suggestions for the future

Post by gambit37 »

Yes, I agree with the potion issue, that's a bit clunky in the current interface. And definitely should be able to shoot through grated doors/fencing.

Not sure I agree with adding more character creation/building abilities though. The beauty of these games is they keep that sort of stuff to minimum and let the player concentrate on action and exploration. Adding more RPG mechanics starts to make it a different type of game.
dazman76

Re: Some serious suggestions for the future

Post by dazman76 »

Yep, another vote for removing (or relaxing) the buffering of key inputs. They should only be sampled again once the move/turn is almost complete - I've actually managed to move forwards 2 complete unintentional squares, while testing how severe the problem was :) If the key isn't down as the current move reaches 80-90% of the distance moved in a single step (would require some tuning), the party shouldn't continue moving forwards at all.

While you could argue (positively) that the current setup requires some skill to use smoothly, it does unfortunately feel like lazy, inaccurate movement. For this reason, I'm mostly tap-tap-tapping my way along, and that isn't really how this style of game should play IMO :) It might make sense when using the mouse movement and single-clicking (queue up 3 tile moves for example) - but if the button or key is being held down, buffering shouldn't take place. Basically, sample the key/buttons when the current move reaches nn% of completion, and if something is pressed, buffer that next move but no more. Rinse and repeat each move :)