Report: runs on 13" Macbook Alu late 2008

Have trouble running Grimrock 1 or you're wondering if your graphics card is supported? Look for help here.
DaveI

Report: runs on 13" Macbook Alu late 2008

Post by DaveI »

I am very happy to be able to report, Grimrock runs fine on a good three year old Macbook 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo / 4G Ram / NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB @ 1280 x 800 using Wineskin. Naturally, quality settings are low.

It even helped me figure out my fan was dust filled, since performance would drop to unplayable. After cleaning, it runs smoothly. You might as well sell Grimrock bundled as a wineskin wine application for Mac users. IIRC there are already well written tutorials somwhere in this forum. In short: Create Wineskin App, install DirectX 9 full, install MSVCP1000(?), install Grimrock -> run.

Thanks a lot.

Note: Couldn't make it run on an iMac late 2008(?) with 128 Mb ATI graphics card: blanks out after showing loading screen.
manderson

Re: Report: runs on 13" Macbook Alu late 2008

Post by manderson »

When I run LoG through WineSkin I do not see any textures. The initial cinematic played and I could see the images and text, but when in the game itself everything is black except for a couple of blue boxes in front of me.

This is my first time using WineSkin so I may be doing something wrong. I've tried running it with both the WS8Wine1.5.1 and WS8Wine1.4 engines with the same results.

There are a couple of things in your comments that I didn't quite understand. What do you mean by "install DirectX 9 full"? Is that something I have to manually do? And what does "install MSVCP1000(?)" mean? I don't see this as an option anywhere.

Thanks for any help you can provide.
DaveI

Post by DaveI »

For DirectX, see: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1004&p=11503&hilit=directx#p11503
For MSVCP 1000, see: https://www.microsoft.com/download/en/d ... px?id=5555 (should be this one, forgot where I downloaded it)
manderson

Post by manderson »

Still no luck. I did as DaveI suggested and when in game I get nothing but a black screen with a blue box that I believe corresponds with a door. After I looked around a bit more I noticed that there's a DirectX and vcredist directories distributed with the game which I believe are the packages DaveI mentioned installing.

I can take a screenshot and post it if it might help.

Any one else have this problem? Is anyone else running this on a Mac?

Thanks, Mike
manderson

Post by manderson »

No one can help me? I hate having purchased a game only to find out I can't play it.
DaveI

Post by DaveI »

manderson wrote:No one can help me? I hate having purchased a game only to find out I can't play it.
Can you give the specs of your System? That might help to identify the culprit.
alandale

Post by alandale »

Try Wine 1.3.32, or just use the wrapper from the Porting Team.
See this thread for more info.
manderson

Post by manderson »

The wrapper from the porting team worked like a charm. Thank you very much for the assistance.

BTW, I'm running an early 2011 17" MacBook Pro.
Patchumz

Post by Patchumz »

manderson wrote:The wrapper from the porting team worked like a charm. Thank you very much for the assistance.

BTW, I'm running an early 2011 17" MacBook Pro.
The reason it worked is because of an ATI graphics issue that exists above Wine version 1.3.36 or so, so just using a lower version solves the problem. (And the guy at the porting team thought ahead and used the lower version to solve this problem)