Modding collab's

Talk about creating Grimrock 1 levels and mods here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
ShottyMonster

Modding collab's

Post by ShottyMonster »

Hi all,

I am planning to change career soon, going to university next summer to study games design. This is after a 4 year stint as a mechanical engineer in the UK. Finally got fed up with it!

Anyhow, I need to knuckle down on some serious art skills as it has been a few years since I did any serious painting/drawing. I really would like to get my 3DS-MAX skills up to scratch so I'm offering to do some character modelling/texturing work for any modders out there. Bear in mind my skillset with max is pretty limited until I start to get to grips with it, although I have 4 years experience using various CAD packages so fingers crossed.

Also I wouldn't mind getting stuck in on some scripting, I have only really used Python before but am willing to get up to speed on C#/C++, so once again if anyone needs help with scripting for mods please pm me :-)

I know this is very premature as no mod tools have been released yet, but I just thought I'd get my name out there, also if anyone is able to give me some tips via webcam that would be great, this could coincide with some collab work.

Cheers,

Thomas
takis76

Re: Modding collab's

Post by takis76 »

Are you a good 3D designer? I am planning to create a complete 3D Dungeon Crawling engine after my existing one.
wlcina

Post by wlcina »

ask creator of Return to Chaos for source codes, and update his engine to 3D. :-) Then I can design some dungeons from scratch :D I have lot of experiences with his editor and cfg files :D
ShottyMonster

Post by ShottyMonster »

takis76 wrote:Are you a good 3D designer? I am planning to create a complete 3D Dungeon Crawling engine after my existing one.
Thanks for the reply takis, that depends on what you mean by good 3D desinger... I have experience modelling in real life, however (I really could of explained myself better), as stated in my original post I only have minimal experience with 3D CAD packages, I have used 3DS max before but I wouldn't say I was good at it. I have 4 years experience with 2d CAD packages which will help tremendously in me learning a new package. So ideally I would like to get involved with some 3D design work with someone who is experienced enough to help me, show me where I'm going wrong, what I can do better. I am willing to put the time in to improving my skills while at the same time producing assets for this game in collaboration with someone.

I do have several years of artistic experience under my belt as I studied fine art, have attended hours of lfe drawing classes etc..

With regards to the new engine you are creating, I would seriously love to get involved, due to the nature of dungeon crawling games I assume they are a great way to get your head around the fundamentals of game programming, what language do you use? (once again, please bear in mind my knowledge of programming is limited to some 2d text based games created in python). I am pretty decent at maths due to my engineering background, my maths knowledge does start to get fuzzy towards the differentiation side of things though.

do get back mate :-)
wlcina wrote:ask creator of Return to Chaos for source codes, and update his engine to 3D. :-) Then I can design some dungeons from scratch :D I have lot of experiences with his editor and cfg files :D
Thanks wlcina for the reply as well, however I am not familiar with Return to Chaos, also your suggestion may be slightly beyond my current abilities :D :D :D

As I said to takis I would be more than happy to help with a project, as long as it is feasibly within my abilities. So please do get back to me if you are serious and can offer me some guidance with regards to programming :-)
kitty

Post by kitty »

wlcina wrote:ask creator of Return to Chaos for source codes, and update his engine to 3D. :-) Then I can design some dungeons from scratch :D I have lot of experiences with his editor and cfg files :D
He will not release the source code. He mentioned this on his page...
wlcina

Post by wlcina »

kitty wrote:
I know, but it was long long time ago in a gala... sorry :D - I think when he will be asked nicely he could be persuaded to release them, last RTC update was 4 years ago.
kitty

Post by kitty »

wlcina wrote:
kitty wrote:
I know, but it was long long time ago in a gala... sorry :D - I think when he will be asked nicely he could be persuaded to release them, last RTC update was 4 years ago.
I do not think so. Many ppl tried this and without success.
ShottyMonster

Post by ShottyMonster »

Anyway, it's getting a bit of topic :-/

bump
ShottyMonster

Post by ShottyMonster »

Here is my deviant art page, I will be uploading more examples of my 3D Max work as I improve, I am taking nightclasses soon

http://shottymonster.deviantart.com/

Return to “Modding”