Overall gameplay speed (elderly gamer)

Talk about anything Legend of Grimrock 1 related here.
Minax

Re: Overall gameplay speed (elderly gamer)

Post by Minax »

While there already is an option for changing monster speed (easy, normal and hard difficulty) I support adding one for timed puzzles (as long as it is optional).
Personally, I have no problem with the timing required but I can see how some people might encounter difficulties.
"Oh what secrets we could tell if you'd listen and be still
Rid the stink and the noise from our skirts
But you haven't got the clue and perhaps you never will
Mute we stand on the cold plains of Wiltshire "
Horrorscope

Post by Horrorscope »

Hey there are two paths to slow the game down and doing that changes everything. We can take the horse to the water but we can't make them drink it.

If you have an issue with the speed of the game and you don't do one of the mentioned fixes... all you are doing is putting something you can do on someone else. Takes a few minutes to set up once and seconds thereafter.

AH can totally feel free to add more features for you. But now I'm starting to feel like games have to meet some type of Handicap quota. The game is what it is, there are things for you to do to slow it down today, as in right now. DO IT! (We aren't console players, we are pc players, this is what we do. lol)

Read this as being direct to the point, but not trying to be harsh in tone. Still scratching at 50 being elderly... by anyone.
dark

Post by dark »

Auto Hot Key would not be necessary if the developers would implement an all attack button. This would really help some of the older folks having issues with timing. This is why Eye of the Beholder 3 had the all attack button. I really think the devs should seriously consider adding this button as a pop up option like they did with the arrow keys.
Last edited by dark on Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bluesshoe

Post by bluesshoe »

Well... In level 4 I nearly bit into my keyboard a few times, because the "moving bridge" part was quiet tough... But after retrying it again and again, I finally managed to beat it.
Damn... it seem I'm getting old.

Many years ago ( I am 50 years of age too ) I loved to play "Dungeon Master" and "Eye of the Beholder", because those games were so special and they took me away into another world.
Now I have the same feeling again with Legend of Grimrock!
It was a long time, but it was worth the wait. :-)
Thank you guys from Almost Human Games!
Pipsissiwa

Post by Pipsissiwa »

Horrorscope wrote:Hey there are two paths to slow the game down and doing that changes everything. We can take the horse to the water but we can't make them drink it.

If you have an issue with the speed of the game and you don't do one of the mentioned fixes... all you are doing is putting something you can do on someone else. Takes a few minutes to set up once and seconds thereafter.

AH can totally feel free to add more features for you. But now I'm starting to feel like games have to meet some type of Handicap quota. The game is what it is, there are things for you to do to slow it down today, as in right now. DO IT! (We aren't console players, we are pc players, this is what we do. lol)

Read this as being direct to the point, but not trying to be harsh in tone. Still scratching at 50 being elderly... by anyone.

But it could be argued that the Easy/Normal/Hard setting for combat speed is a 'Handicap' setting in game already - it makes combat easier for those who don't like it/can't do it. That is its purpose. This suggestion really isn't any different (except its not in game atm and some people sadly seem to be unfairly flaming anyone suggesting the devs change anything) and I (and obviously plenty more) think its a damn good idea. We don't know if the devs thought about this and if they did why they left it out.

Plus for me, just my own personal feelings/choice I will stress, using the debug console or scripts feels like cheating (I never use it in any game unless it has utterly bugged out and I have no other choice) - if this time option was an official feature in game I wouldn't feel bad doing it.

I don't personally mind if the devs delay a map editor/DLC/expansion/sequel by a few weeks/months because I haven't finished the first/main game yet (and don't look likely to any time soon either at this rate). I'm also hoping to replay with a different party setup now I know what seems to be useful (or not) for my style. I certainly appreciate that others can't wait for more content - I hope to be in that situation eventually too. This is purely my personal mileage.

A sudden thought - with all this fuss about timed puzzles I bet there will be a overload of them by those who can do them when the editor does come out. LOL

Aye, 50 ain't elderly - I think it was meant a little bit tongue in cheek. :)
"I'd let you live but I can't, I'm a willing servant of Evil"

Pipsissiwa
Geek Girl/Gamer Girl
seebs

Post by seebs »

Long story short: If you can get access to the developer console:

gameMode.timeMultiplier = 0.7

This may introduce bugs in some cases, but it seems to work most of the time.
TheBigMick

Post by TheBigMick »

I'm 50 as well and I noticed that I too have a few problems with timing now as opposed to my old DM and EoB gaming days.
The only real problem I had was getting that one feathered cap, where you had to push a button and then run around a few corners before the door dropped, man it took me forever to do that one till I realized all I had to do was memorize the step sequence to get there and just go without turning in the direction I needed to move, got in there the first try after I did that.
...And that's all I have to say about that.
bluesshoe

Post by bluesshoe »

seebs wrote:Long story short: If you can get access to the developer console:
How can I get access to the developer console?

I'm in level 5 and the "chamber of pits & secret" is driving me nuts!
Horrorscope

Post by Horrorscope »

Pipsissiwa wrote:
Horrorscope wrote:Hey there are two paths to slow the game down and doing that changes everything. We can take the horse to the water but we can't make them drink it.

1. But it could be argued that the Easy/Normal/Hard setting for combat speed is a 'Handicap' setting in game already - it makes combat easier for those who don't like it/can't do it. That is its purpose.

2. This suggestion really isn't any different (except its not in game atm and some people sadly seem to be unfairly flaming anyone suggesting the devs change anything) and I (and obviously plenty more) think its a damn good idea. We don't know if the devs thought about this and if they did why they left it out.

3. Plus for me, just my own personal feelings/choice I will stress, using the debug console or scripts feels like cheating (I never use it in any game unless it has utterly bugged out and I have no other choice) - if this time option was an official feature in game I wouldn't feel bad doing it.

4. I don't personally mind if the devs delay a map editor/DLC/expansion/sequel by a few weeks/months because I haven't finished the first/main game yet (and don't look likely to any time soon either at this rate). I'm also hoping to replay with a different party setup now I know what seems to be useful (or not) for my style. I certainly appreciate that others can't wait for more content - I hope to be in that situation eventually too. This is purely my personal mileage.
I numbered your comments.

1. Well even with those settings some still want it modified more. And some have said that easier settings make monsters easier but not timing of traps. Speed modification affects both positively for someone struggling.

2. The only difference is a player right now can do it and not wait on devs to possibly do this. Where I come from, I'd just do it. Face it our great-grandfathers would roll in their graves over us thinking doing these simple steps is anything resembling hard work.

3. That is a mind game you are playing on yourself then. It's a single player game. Assume it's an Elder Scrolls mod. You are tweaking it to your personal liking. Coming up with that slant "feels like a cheat" is just silly on your end. I see if they were to add the same thing that we could do today, that is then ok with you. M-kay.

4. Well I would think it wouldn't be that much work and doubt it would delay much. That said if it did, then don't be so stingy and just do it yourself, now.

I hear yah, but it sounds like you'll sit there, stop, complain (a little) and not just do what you can right now to slow it down to continue on. Sounds like my 14 year old a bit. Sorries.
seebs

Post by seebs »

bluesshoe wrote:
seebs wrote:Long story short: If you can get access to the developer console:
How can I get access to the developer console?

I'm in level 5 and the "chamber of pits & secret" is driving me nuts!
Check the modding forum, I am not sure what the current state of this is; there's a file I downloaded which gave it, but they've since posted terms that prohibit sharing such files.