DEX, STR and such.

Talk about anything Legend of Grimrock 1 related here.
klemzo

DEX, STR and such.

Post by klemzo »

Hey.

Tell me, why does DAGGER skill give you Energy + DEX when you level it up? Why in the world would dagger using rogues need dex + energy? makes no freaking sense, or am I missing something?

At that, as it seems DEX does not increase bow damage, which is retarded. Why does the skill itself give you DEX then?

In addition, I've heard that VIT is by far the best stat, following by DEX and then STR. Supposedly, STR caps at some point and then only gives +1 power per level, which is crap (I think at 13 or 18?)?

Also, I have my FIRE Magic at 24 now. Do I need to get higher? Besides the Fire Resistance, which I do not even need as I haven't been hit by a fire spell yet, what good does it do? The question here really is do skills give you increase on something, mainly damage, when you skill them? (even if the skills itself doesn't say). So if I skill fire to lets say 50, I'll also get a big damage increase in all fire spells? Or is the leveling just for the shown bonuses?
And if so, does this apply to all other skills as well?

What are Bone Amulets for?
What does Compass do?
And how many skulls there are in total? Got only 2 and I'm on lv 7.

Thanks
sevtai

Re: DEX, STR and such.

Post by sevtai »

Hey.

Tell me, why does DAGGER skill give you Energy + DEX when you level it up? Why in the world would dagger using rogues need dex + energy? makes no freaking sense, or am I missing something?

"Dagger attacks still use Energy, especially the special attack [Flurry of Blows] you unlock, there for more energy = more special attacks
Also rogues are all about hitting EVERYTIME for a medium amount of damage, dex increases chance to hit, and evasion, so a rogue with dex, never misses, and never gets hit"

At that, as it seems DEX does not increase bow damage, which is retarded. Why does the skill itself give you DEX then?

"Dex increases chance to hit ... bows hit 100% of the time ... your right this is silly"

In addition, I've heard that VIT is by far the best stat, following by DEX and then STR. Supposedly, STR caps at some point and then only gives +1 power per level, which is crap (I think at 13 or 18?)?

"Im not sure, so im afraid i cant give an answer"

Also, I have my FIRE Magic at 24 now. Do I need to get higher? Besides the Fire Resistance, which I do not even need as I haven't been hit by a fire spell yet, what good does it do? The question here really is do skills give you increase on something, mainly damage, when you skill them? (even if the skills itself doesn't say). So if I skill fire to lets say 50, I'll also get a big damage increase in all fire spells? Or is the leveling just for the shown bonuses?
And if so, does this apply to all other skills as well?

"Increasing the fire skill DOES increase general fire damage, along with the increased power fireball perk"

What are Bone Amulets for?

Hint
SpoilerShow
"Look rather plain doesn't it, in older games like DM, the most mundane of items, still have there uses"
Solution
SpoilerShow
"Youll need this for a riddle/puzzle near the end of the game"
What does Compass do?

"Look at it in your inventory/hand and turn sideways, youll see the compass change direction ... useful if your playing Old School mod ... a novelty if your not,
SpoilerShow
However it still might be usefull in some puzzles."

And how many skulls there are in total? Got only 2 and I'm on lv 7.

"5 i think"

Thanks
Yummy, more baked maggots ... bah, give them to the mage ...
Chiller

Post by Chiller »

Dex improves your accuracy. Also your evasion, which is useful if you are in the front row. Energy is used for melee special attacks (which occur randomly once you unlock them) and melee Rogues tend to go through their energy bars pretty fast.

I think every point of Fire magic improves spell damage. But you will want to invest in Spellcraft too.

Answers to the other questions:
SpoilerShow
A bone amulet is required for a puzzle on a lower level.
The compass shows you which direction you are facing :)
There are 5 skulls in the game.
Whisper

Post by Whisper »

klemzo wrote:Hey.

Why does Fire magic gives Str?
Why does Sword gives +hp?
petri

Post by petri »

Skills are more complex than just increasing the damage with a weapon. Practicing with a dagger does not only make you better at wielding a dagger but it also makes you faster and helps in dodging blows (= dex increment). Swinging a heavy mace is a physical exercise (= vitality increment). Practicing Fire Magic fills your body with demonic energies (= Strength increment). And so on.
petri

Post by petri »

klemzo wrote:Also, I have my FIRE Magic at 24 now. Do I need to get higher? Besides the Fire Resistance, which I do not even need as I haven't been hit by a fire spell yet, what good does it do? The question here really is do skills give you increase on something, mainly damage, when you skill them? (even if the skills itself doesn't say).
From the Fire Magic skill description:
"This skill represents your character's training in Fire Magic. You obtain the power to cast new spells and increase the efficiency of fire spells as you advance in this skill."
Whisper

Post by Whisper »

Maybe we should make FAQ with developers replies )

Because this question was already answered:
petri wrote: Well, I tried to explain it in my previous post :)
Dex bonuses are there so that the skill would be more than just a flat one dimensional bonus to damage. That is,the dex upgrades give advantages that are not directly related to the weapon class. Other example is Swords skill which increases Health for instance.
p.s. I will test (fire) magic damage. I was under impression (from damage numbers) that with additional skill points - damage from (fire) magic spells don't increase. Or maybe its small increase, so this is why i didn't notice (maybe bug? or me not being attentive).
gasgas

Post by gasgas »

There is still no explanation for missile weapons buffing dexterity. Practicing with a bow or crossbow doesn't make you more accurate in meele (and dexterity has been said to only represents meele accuracy and evasion) if we follow the same argument as above.
As for the bidimensial skill bonus, swords increase a secondary attribute for warriors, but missile weapons skill doesn't do anything to a backline rogue.
As for the fire mage having a strenght bonus it's more explicable because he could have a spear or even be in the front row as a great damage dealer, something you can't say for a missile rogue, (he needs both hands).
Crashone

Post by Crashone »

petri wrote:Skills are more complex than just increasing the damage with a weapon. Practicing with a dagger does not only make you better at wielding a dagger but it also makes you faster and helps in dodging blows (= dex increment). Swinging a heavy mace is a physical exercise (= vitality increment). Practicing Fire Magic fills your body with demonic energies (= Strength increment). And so on.
When you say "practicing with a dagger", do you mean "use a dagger" or "put points in the speciality" ?
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

Crashone wrote:
petri wrote: Practicing with a dagger does not only make you better at wielding a dagger but it also makes you faster and helps in dodging blows (= dex increment).
When you say "practicing with a dagger", do you mean "use a dagger" or "put points in the speciality" ?
The latter, "practicing with a dagger" meaning that you develop the skill by putting points in the speciality as if the character is improving the skill from the usage of it.