A possible, yet radical solution to easy modding

Talk about creating Grimrock 1 levels and mods here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
lord_boron

A possible, yet radical solution to easy modding

Post by lord_boron »

This is my first post on the forums, even though I've been lurking here for the past few months. I've finished the game once and was drowned in nostalgia and jaw dropping graphics of the game. Running my second party right now.

But back to the topic: Modding.

I would like to ask the devs if the would be willing to create art assets for modding community, and if the modding community would be willing to pay for them. For example, it could be a DLC that has 2 new dungeon sets and 5 new enemy types. The price could be $5 or less. I say less since the whole game costs $14 with a ton of content. This would be easy to produce by the devs because they don't have to play test the levels, triggers and such and they could focus on making more assets and maybe a few more mechanics implemented into the engine, but still get payed for what they do.

I don't intent to insult the devs to make them think that the older dungeon crawlers were better, but I think that LoG has so much potential as a modding platform and a way to relive older titles through it. The map journal could get an update for notes, item list, hints, etc. More spells could be implemented, classes, races too (I guess that would be the easiest thing to do). And all of this could be payed content or some of it could be free. It's up to devs and community to voice it's opinion on this.

I would be ready to pay a few bucks every now and then to continue to support the devs and get new art assets in the process so the modding community can focus on creativity and less on graphics. Plus it would make all the mods look equally good, graphics wise.

Sorry for a long and probably incoherent rant :) I would love to hear your opinions on this and maybe even devs.

Thank you.

Lord Born
Curunir

Re: A possible, yet radical solution to easy modding

Post by Curunir »

Hear, hear, I fully support this kind of idea as well, so +1 !
limner

Post by limner »

yes
i also prefer pay for DLC that enanches the editor than the game or new modules
petri

Post by petri »

The markets for this kind of DLC with no new playable content are pretty small and I don't think they would keep us going for very long. A fully playable expansion with e.g. new monsters, a new dungeon and a new wallset, assets that can be used for modding too, would be a completely different thing :)
wlcina

Post by wlcina »

support this idea too +1
lord_boron

Post by lord_boron »

petri wrote:The markets for this kind of DLC with no new playable content are pretty small and I don't think they would keep us going for very long. A fully playable expansion with e.g. new monsters, a new dungeon and a new wallset, assets that can be used for modding too, would be a completely different thing :)
I suppose you're right. On the other hand I would love to hear what devs think about it. Maybe it's viable for them to release 1-3 $ dlc. If you want to play a certain mod you need to have that dlc. I suppose it's a lot less people who would buy them, but so is the dev cycle for them too.
Whisper

Post by Whisper »

Guys, maybe start a petition for expansion (or pre-order)?

p.s. I cant believe 4 people can do in 1 year game of such highest quality, beauty, atmosphere and depth.
Curunir

Post by Curunir »

I'm absolutely fine with new dungeon + tilesets for a higher price, so yeah, either option works, I suppose.
4bsylon

Post by 4bsylon »

Wow, absolutely amazing suggestion. It also makes it "worthwhile" for the Dev's to put effort into this. :idea:

Annti & Petri - OVER HERE!!! ; )

Best regards
4bsylon
Lex

Post by Lex »

petri wrote:The markets for this kind of DLC with no new playable content are pretty small and I don't think they would keep us going for very long. A fully playable expansion with e.g. new monsters, a new dungeon and a new wallset, assets that can be used for modding too, would be a completely different thing :)
Agreed. I hate DLC* with no playable content. And such content made by players based on DLC could be of questionable quality sometimes.

*) That said: I hate this laughable term - would prefer to wait much longer to get fully designed rightful expansion.
custom Legend of Grimrock printable DVD box insert and disc label: link