Problem with spiders, severe arachnophobia

Talk about anything Legend of Grimrock 1 related here.
SirDigby

Problem with spiders, severe arachnophobia

Post by SirDigby »

Hi there. I was really enjoying Grimrock, possible my best game of this year. However, then I stumbled across the spider enemies. I have very severe arachnophobia and find it very hard to play with spiders as enemies, especially when they are so close up and their attacks practically come out of the screen. Other than 'Manning the f**k up' is there any suggestions you guys have to help with this problem, maybe a way to change the look of the spiders, switch them out with other enemies or disable them? Any help is appreciated because it is near impossible for me to progress in the game at this point.

Thanks in advance.

SirDigby
Drax

Re: Problem with spiders, severe arachnophobia

Post by Drax »

The designers talked about an arachnophobia setting though there's nothing concrete. You'll have to wait for either that or modding.
Goffmog

Post by Goffmog »

SirDigby wrote:Hi there. I was really enjoying Grimrock, possible my best game of this year. However, then I stumbled across the spider enemies. I have very severe arachnophobia and find it very hard to play with spiders as enemies, especially when they are so close up and their attacks practically come out of the screen. Other than 'Manning the f**k up' is there any suggestions you guys have to help with this problem, maybe a way to change the look of the spiders, switch them out with other enemies or disable them? Any help is appreciated because it is near impossible for me to progress in the game at this point.

Thanks in advance.

SirDigby
Spiders are cute.
LethalBlade

Post by LethalBlade »

SirDigby wrote:Manning the f**k up
This is my suggestion. Seriously? It's a video game. The spiders are fake. I have arachnophobia too. I jump like a skittish cat when a crawling insect catches me off guard. But I don't have any issue with video game spiders.
Loktofeit

Post by Loktofeit »

I have a dreadful fear of spiders, but I really like the spiders in this game. They are fast, sometimes seem to come out of nowhere and have twice made me actually jump while playing. I guess it's like the whole horror/slasher movie things for me - I like a good scare, especially when harmless. I can see, though, how someone with an even worse fear of them could find it distressful.
theIMP

Post by theIMP »

i'd say just try to play it, and just be patient, mod supports goingto come very oon, and i have no doubt that people will be eager to pick up your request.

p.s 'its just a video game' is a silly thing to say, i have a frear of heights and sespite playing 'just video games' i still feel creeped out when im going across a rope bridge and look down etc... and another problem is that the grid system means the spiders take the whole screen, especially when attacking so this is perfectly understandable...

i also have a fear of trolls but this is just a video game trololol
oh you didn't work out the puzzles... you... you used a guide...
in that case we're like kellogs and nestle... we're just too different
SirDigby

Post by SirDigby »

Thanks for all the feedback guys :) Hopefully that setting will be added :oops:
xoseph

Post by xoseph »

Open door; punch spider; close door; repeat.
sojhin98

Post by sojhin98 »

SirDigby wrote:Thanks for all the feedback guys :) Hopefully that setting will be added :oops:

Something else you may want to try, is not really looking at the screen(i have arcnaphobia as well, but i tend to focus on the UI and use periperal vision to get by, seemed to make it a lot eaiser for me anyway.
seebs

Post by seebs »

xoseph wrote:Open door; punch spider; close door; repeat.
You seem to be misunderstanding. The problem isn't "spiders are hard to kill", it's "spiders are upsetting to look at because they are spiders". Identical stats on a mob that looked like something else wouldn't be bugging people.