Regarding DEX.

Talk about anything Legend of Grimrock 1 related here.
Whisper

Re: Regarding DEX.

Post by Whisper »

r3sistance wrote:@Whisper

Was there any point to your response? I have already noted that Rogues using Assassination, Daggers and Unarmed will still need Dexterity. Most people are use to Dexterity being used for Ranged Attacks, I was simply stating how it was different in this game; in my opinion strength makes more sense than Dexterity for ranged attacks.
Different games = different systems.

And talking about "realism" in fantasy game, ok lets do it. I think fireballs are unrealistic. (And talking about "people used to") Also they, fireballs, hit for 1d6 per level - that what people are used to - so why they hit for more in this game?
gasgas

Post by gasgas »

I would have much preferred fixed damage on bows/crossbow (with just some little bonus from skill points in missile weapons) and increasing accuracy based on dexterity, rather than fixed accuracy and increasing damage. Makes more sense.
But I also understand it would be more complex this way,(even if more reasonable).

Edit: that "realism" sentence was useless, we are talking about realistic mechanics not realistic worlds.
r3sistance

Post by r3sistance »

Whisper wrote:
r3sistance wrote:@Whisper

Was there any point to your response? I have already noted that Rogues using Assassination, Daggers and Unarmed will still need Dexterity. Most people are use to Dexterity being used for Ranged Attacks, I was simply stating how it was different in this game; in my opinion strength makes more sense than Dexterity for ranged attacks.
Different games = different systems.

And talking about "realism" in fantasy game, ok lets do it. I think fireballs are unrealistic. (And talking about "people used to") Also they, fireballs, hit for 1d6 per level - that what people are used to - so why they hit for more in this game?
who brought "realism" to the table! Go wash your mouth out with soap now.

I said it makes more sense, which in a way it does since bows need to be pulled back and how well they're pulled back affects both the power and accuracy of a bow but that relies on strength more than dexterity. Also fireballs are not unrealistic, magic is unrealistic but who cares about that? tis dirty talk in computer games which leads to the wrong streets in soho.
Whisper

Post by Whisper »

gasgas wrote: Edit: that "realism" sentence was useless, we are talking about realistic mechanics not realistic worlds.
If mechanics would be realistic - their would be 1) no magic 2) would take much more factors in bow damage not just one stat. Also wind blowing, distance, material of arrows, humidity, how long was bow used etc.
seebs

Post by seebs »

Still curious as to what the dex implementation that's being discussed is. What is it doing? What did you expect it to do? Why is this better?
Whisper

Post by Whisper »

seebs wrote:Still curious as to what the dex implementation that's being discussed is. What is it doing? What did you expect it to do? Why is this better?
People who never hold bow in their hands (otherwise they would have known how much Strenght is important for kinetic power of arrow), discuss how Dexterity should have more effect on bow damage then STR.
r3sistance

Post by r3sistance »

seebs wrote:Still curious as to what the dex implementation that's being discussed is. What is it doing? What did you expect it to do? Why is this better?
As I've said, Dexterity has no effect on ranged attacks at all, most people are use to dexterity being the ranged attack stat which actually doesn't make much sense at all. Dexterity is melee evasion and melee accuracy which makes it about the most important attribute for warriors; and the only rogues that would need it are front line rogues or assassin rogues (as assassin rogues can use daggers/unarmed from the backline @ assassin level 12).

For a ranged character Strength is the best stat and for a mage willpower but for melee characters you have to balance strength, dexterity and vitality (unless a backline assassin rogue where vitality isn't as important). Where Strength and Dexterity are probably slightly more important than vitality.
seebs

Post by seebs »

Whisper wrote:
People who never hold bow in their hands (otherwise they would have known how much Strenght is important for kinetic power of arrow), discuss how Dexterity should have more effect on bow damage then STR.
So what does dex do? Is it just evasion?

FWIW, having used real bows, I'd observe that strictly speaking, a given bow ought to have pretty stable damage, with STR determining only whether or not you can use it at all. :)
seebs

Post by seebs »

r3sistance wrote:
As I've said, Dexterity has no effect on ranged attacks at all, most people are use to dexterity being the ranged attack stat which actually doesn't make much sense at all. Dexterity is melee evasion and melee accuracy which makes it about the most important attribute for warriors; and the only rogues that would need it are front line rogues or assassin rogues (as assassin rogues can use daggers/unarmed from the backline @ assassin level 12).

For a ranged character Strength is the best stat and for a mage willpower but for melee characters you have to balance strength, dexterity and vitality (unless a backline assassin rogue where vitality isn't as important). Where Strength and Dexterity are probably slightly more important than vitality.
Oooh. That is very surprising to me, but it totally explains why my fighters have always sucked!

I just assumed str was offense and dex defense-or-ranged (usually justified in that it lets you aim more accurately, which can increaase damage done on most targets). Didn't occur to me that warriors would need a ton of dex also.
r3sistance

Post by r3sistance »

Well Strength does increase damage but the damage is meaningless if it's not landing so you need to be accurate before you're heavy hitting, of course you'll still take some hits too so you'll need some vitality but the better your reflexes and the move evasive your characters the less vitality you need.