Brilliant game... but. A letter to AH and complainers.

Talk about anything Legend of Grimrock 1 related here.
cryocore

Re: Brilliant game... but. A letter to AH and complainers.

Post by cryocore »

There is a world of difference between saying
"I would have preferred *example" and "You should/must/need to change this" or "This is wrong/broken/flawed"
One is respectful, the other two are self entitled and disrespectful.

There are multiple issues being lumped in here. I will just clarify my stance.
I am not saying that every suggestion/idea is wrong or unjustified.
I am not saying you shouldnt express your opinion
I am not saying that my opinion is more important than anyone elses

I am saying that how you express your opinion is important. Claiming flaws/broken design is strictly a subjective opinion, and suggesting yours is better than the developers is arrogant. Offering alternatives is great, but saying that a change will be an improvement is disrespectful.

I am saying that people who find the difficulty as a negative are not the target audience. I found parts of the game difficult, but I enjoyed that and found it a compelling part of the game. The game was promoted as being a difficult game. Saying that the timed puzzles are bad because they are hard means you have an issue with the style of game and what the game is. It is hard. It is supposed to be.

I am saying that anyone wanting the difficulty decreased are not the target audience. I am not saying that every alteration suggested/demanded is about changing the difficulty.

Please keep this civil. We all were attracted to this game for various reasons. Most love the game, some are disappointed, and a few dislike the game, but we're all gamers and our community is unique so please lets not let this forum become another vitriolic insult slinging place where expressions of opinion are attacked.

All I am really wanting is for everyone to be respectful of everyone else.
Suggesting an alternative is not the same as asking for a change.
Saying something is flawed is different to saying you would prefer a different execution.
Expressing an opinion about a game element is different to wanting a game changed to suit your needs.
Just as improving a game is different from streamlining/simplifying
Arctor

Post by Arctor »

Put another way - a lot of players have truly missed the point of LOG. It's sad, but unavoidable.
Rednecksith

Post by Rednecksith »

OP, you pretty much lost all credibility when you pretty much told Jag (someone with a disability) that 'this game isn't for him'. I suppose you tell folk in wheelchairs that stores without ramps, 'aren't for them' too, eh?

Nothing wrong with people asking for an OPTION to slow things down a bit so they can cope. They don't want the game slowed down for everyone, they want the OPTION to slow it down for themselves so they can enjoy it properly. And last I checked, having more options available for a wide variety of players was a GOOD THING.

BTW the only person I've seen being arrogant in this thread is YOU.
Sometimes I wish the world was flat so I could push people off.
Sol_HSA

Post by Sol_HSA »

jagintedu wrote:what if you cant complete the game without support due to big ass creepy spiders? :) aint that hard fighting them. if they were looking like ants or something.
Compare:

"I have a severe case of arachnophobia. Would it be possible to optionally switch the spiders to something else so I, and others like me, could enjoy the game?"

To:

"I demand that all spiders are removed from this game because they creep me out!"

..and I think even my second example is pretty mild to some of the demands we've seen here =)

I'm sure AH welcomes feedback, and naturally people disagree with each others' opinions.. which is okay. Let's try to keep things civilized nevertheless.

Everybody experiences the game somewhat differently, and different folk draw from different pools of experience (comparing the game to WoW, EOB, DM, tabletop games, whatnot), and lots of the suggestions are powered by the simple desire to bring whatever they loved from some earlier game to this one. Which, again, is OK. Whether AH wants to implement these (which, in my opinion, in most cases, would be a rather bad idea), is up to them.

Still my point here is: there's a difference between making suggestions (along with rationale) and making demands.
Reminder: moderators (green names) don't work for almost human. | http://iki.fi/sol/ - My schtuphh..
Kurgen

Post by Kurgen »

Arctor wrote:Put another way - a lot of players have truly missed the point of LOG. It's sad, but unavoidable.
Care to enlighten us? What was this oh-so-obvious "point" of the game, other than to * :o shock :o * enjoy playing it?
The_ShadoW

Post by The_ShadoW »

Rednecksith wrote:OP, you pretty much lost all credibility when you pretty much told Jag (someone with a disability) that 'this game isn't for him'. I suppose you tell folk in wheelchairs that stores without ramps, 'aren't for them' too, eh?
And he's right, however "horrible" that might sound to some people. The fact that some facets of life CAN be potentially adapted to people with disabilities doesn't mean that every facet of life MUST be adapted (by whom, anyway?) to people with disabilities.

For example, the only thing that keeps this forum free from complaints coming from blind people if the fact that it's already pretty hard for the blind person to post on a "horribly un-adapted" phpBB forum.
Last edited by The_ShadoW on Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Curunir

Post by Curunir »

I think trying to reason with people like Krugen is useless - they will just use bold text, colors and underlined words to show you how wrong and evil and disrespectful you are and how you're oppressing their fragile internet persona with your brutish posts.
Loktofeit

Post by Loktofeit »

Sol_HSA wrote: "I have a severe case of arachnophobia. Would it be possible to optionally switch the spiders to something else so I, and others like me, could enjoy the game?"

To:

"I demand that all spiders are removed from this game because they creep me out!"

..and I think even my second example is pretty mild to some of the demands we've seen here =)
Other than that guy who wanted a refund because Steam release was delayed by an hour, I guess I missed these extreme demand posts you're referring to.
Kurgen

Post by Kurgen »

Loktofeit wrote:
Sol_HSA wrote: "I have a severe case of arachnophobia. Would it be possible to optionally switch the spiders to something else so I, and others like me, could enjoy the game?"

To:

Other than that guy who wanted a refund because Steam release was delayed by an hour, I guess I missed these extreme demand posts you're referring to.
I'm having trouble finding those posts myself... Weird.
Kurgen

Post by Kurgen »

Curunir wrote:I think trying to reason with people like Krugen is useless - they will just use bold text, colors and underlined words to show you how wrong and evil and disrespectful you are and how you're oppressing their fragile internet persona with your brutish posts.
I use it to get my point across, and to eliminate any ambiguity in my posts. In short, I'm using the facilities this forum provides, in order to proceed in a timely and planned manner. I'm sure you'll see the parallel, yes? ...or should I forego the coloured text and parentheses on the off-chance I'm gaining an unfair advantage over my fellow, but gnarlier, "true old school" posters?