Developer's attitude and the community

Talk about anything Legend of Grimrock 1 related here.
Curunir

Developer's attitude and the community

Post by Curunir »

I am staring to think the community for this game suddenly became waaay too demanding just because AH are indie devs who listen to fans. But some people are carrying this a little too far, it seems.

There are topics asking for about 50 changes / additions to be made. Seriously, people, the developers made a game. You liked what you saw of it and read about it so you bought it. But maybe you can't expect devs to radically change the game or add a ton of things to it just because someone thought they're cool. Mod tools - sure, knock yourself out. But stop throwing random suggestions all the time. AH made the game the way it is and the way they intended it to be played. If you disagree, wait for mod tools, work on mods. If not, well, tough luck. The devs have been very responsive so far but you understand they can't please everyone and that none of this 'pls add/change x" would fly with any bigger dev/publisher...

Just don't abuse AH's goodwill.
Myeka

Re: Developer's attitude and the community

Post by Myeka »

Sorry, but I disagree.

Even if there are a lot of requests from players, maybe there will be 1 or 2 that might give developers new ideas they will want to had to their game. Maybe 99% of all suggestions are crap, but it worth the remaining 1% and you just don't know what kind of suggestion could ring a bell in a developer's mind :)
germanny

Post by germanny »

yeah, agreed!
The game is running fine, feels and looks best too.
I didnt see any major problems - as to lvl 8 by now ;)
Dungeon Master Resource Pack worker and passionated Beer drinker
Zola

Post by Zola »

I agree with you in terms of to much demands.

But I think that suggestions are always good, as long they are focused and no flames. As well as not changing the core game too much to something the game isn't intended to be (We have mods for that purpose usually with games).
murkscale

Post by murkscale »

I don't really think that an indie studio that decided to make their first title an old school niche game with an above average difficulty curve that WAS unlikely to become a succes (obviously it did become one) is very likely to give in to popular demand from players that are used to games letting them win without much of a fight, autocasting features and obvious puzzles... unless the suggestion is in the spirit of the game. Almost Human is, as far as I can tell, not in this for the money so it's not very likely that they'll betray themselves and their ideals just to make a profit.

I do however think, and to some extent fear, that the devs don't quite realize that they're on the path to something much bigger than originally anticipated and might end up doing something dumb on a financial level. A lot of players have been waiting for a game like LoG for years, including myself, and unlike "mainstream" games LoG's fanbase mostly consists of adults and adults have money to spare and are willing to spend it on things that they like and while Almost Human may not be the moneygrapping kind of company I do not for a second doubt that they could easilly raise the funds for expanding the game, univers and maybe even create an actual franchise.

...I'm sorry if I'm incoherrent but I haven't slept for like 24 hours because I had an all nighter with LoG. :D

EDIT: Long story short; people just need to stop being twats.
Last edited by murkscale on Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Screw you guys, I'm famous!
CV77

Post by CV77 »

Zola wrote:I agree with you in terms of to much demands.

But I think that suggestions are always good, as long they are focused and no flames. As well as not changing the core game too much to something the game isn't intended to be (We have mods for that purpose usually with games).
This.
regomar

Post by regomar »

Exactly. Completely agree with the OP. The amount of whining in these forums demanding changes made is out of control.

I'm sick and tired of seeing people whine about puzzles being too hard or not being able to move fast enough because they're old or something equally inane (I'm almost 40 and I play this game fine thank you very much)

The devs made an amazing game. I'd hate to see them dumb it down or waste time developing options to dumb down this game when that effort could be focused on designing more devious levels, level editor, or even a sequel.
Halk

Post by Halk »

regomar wrote:Exactly. Completely agree with the OP. The amount of whining in these forums demanding changes made is out of control.

I'm sick and tired of seeing people whine about puzzles being too hard or not being able to move fast enough because they're old or something equally inane (I'm almost 40 and I play this game fine thank you very much)
I'm sick and tired of you turning every request or suggestion into something you need to defend against, and you attacking people.
choasrepeated

Post by choasrepeated »

I also disagree with OP.
The whole point of indie developers and why they are good is they listen.
Now listen doesn't mean they'll do every thing. It does mean that they are connected with their audience in a way that AAA games are not.
Personally I think the game is awesome as it is. The challenges around magic and strength versus dex actually add to my immersion.
But I fail to see how games providing via the forums ways they would like to see the game improve is is abusing the developers.
I would like to believe that they would be flattered that the gaming community has become so emotionally connected with their game that they are trying to suggest ways to improve it.

And Im sure the developers who made bold choices like not including vendors, healing classes or pet classes due the overall negative impact on the game wont be cowled into including poor suggestions just because they are made on the internet.
regomar

Post by regomar »

Halk wrote:
regomar wrote:Exactly. Completely agree with the OP. The amount of whining in these forums demanding changes made is out of control.

I'm sick and tired of you turning every request or suggestion into something you need to defend against, and you attacking people.
I'm sick and tired of you stalking me on these forums and blathering your inane drivel at me. Get over it and move on.

OMG people like the game the way it is, the HORROR!