DLC

Talk about anything Legend of Grimrock 1 related here.
Drax

Re: DLC

Post by Drax »

Zeful wrote:
Drax wrote: There's no excuse for zero-day DLC. If you spent development time before release creating it (and it was completed), why is it not in my copy?
Because that's not how software design works at all.
The time between gold and release is where you're saying DLC comes from. Yeah, but there's no reason to charge for it as zero-day. You're employing your programmers anyway.
PiIsExactly3

Post by PiIsExactly3 »

Jack Dandy wrote:A DLC I'd love to see is something that's on par with a true "Expansion packs" of old.
Seconded. Perhaps something like a high level dungeon, a new class and race or two. Take one party through both and even have fun trying new stuff in the original dungeon.
Ottyk

Post by Ottyk »

Halk wrote: Ottyk, you're perhaps missing something with Minecraft. The game has been designed to allow that kind of modding to take place. So while you could criticise Mojang for being behind the curve with their updates... I don't necessarily agree - the victory for Minecraft is the way the game has been created has allowed mods to become so amazing.
You have a good point Halk, I guess it's a win-win situation for us end users anyway.

I also wanted to mention that when I first started up the game and saw the option for other dungeons I immediately got the impression that the version of Grimrock I was playing was merely the first piece of the game and that there would eventually be many more dungeons in the game, whether they were a free update, an expansion/dlc or a community made mod. Because of this I couldn't help thinking "Wow, if this is only the first dungeon, I can't wait to see what the next ones will be like!" It kinda made me really excited for upcoming dungeons.

On a side note, if AH want the game to have any kind of longevity at all it need more dungeons or more floors. Grimrock isn't incredibly long, especially once you know the puzzles etc and there are only so many party combinations you can try.

Oh and finally, I'm lol'ing at all you guys complaining about Bioware. I stopped buying triple A titles around 2007. Gaming is all about money these days, games are repetitive and designed to take as much money from you as possible. Indie gaming ftw.
Zeful

Post by Zeful »

Drax wrote:The time between gold and release is where you're saying DLC comes from. Yeah, but there's no reason to charge for it as zero-day. You're employing your programmers anyway.
That's a marketing issue, not one of design, and I agree. Ideally, day-one DLC should just be free for new copies of the game, as an incentive for buying new, to reduce the power of the used sales market. But it really shouldn't be on the disk, as anything completed before the game goes into the final phase of production (making and distributing the physical media, should it exist) should be part of the core game.
Zere

Post by Zere »

If by DLC you mean expansion pack (Read real content), it's fine as heck for me.

If by DLC you mean "few new spells", "one cool armor and sword" or "new cool effects" then it's a high no from me.
Sheep

Post by Sheep »

It would be nice to have some DLC or expansions. For instance a one dungeon for 5$(or more ) is quite fair if you would do as terrific job on it as you did on Grimrock and plus if you can use the characters from Grimrock (and there items) when you have completed it. I would be more than happy to pay for more. But It would be nice to have something different environment for example: an ice castle deep in the north abandon for century's lost and forgotten by many what great treasures could our travellers find inside. But first they have to find a way to get inside these frozen halls
regomar

Post by regomar »

Hell, I'd PREOPRDER DLC. People will whine about anything, as I'm sure the devs are finding out with all the feebs on here complaining that the game is too hard :roll:

Just call it an expansion, not DLC and that will stop half the whiners in their tracks since it's the word DLC that has their panties in a bunch.

Take my money!
Professor Paul1290

Post by Professor Paul1290 »

I really don't like release day DLC for the reasons that have already been mentioned. It feels like they could have included it with the base game.

That being said, I wouldn't mind having to pay for some expansions or DLCs for Legend of Grimrock that added new dungeons and extra content.

I think that "Expansion" sounds better to me than "DLC" because when I think of an "Expansion" I usually thing of something that extends the game (like a new area or campaign) while when I think of "DLC" I think of a new item or something like that. Both terms are very interchangeable of course.
Zola wrote: What annoys me the most is the overpriced DLC's of kind, like a train for 30 bucks with a rail to drive along included. If you buy all trains you are done with over 1k €. That's what I call overpriced! Not mentioning game names here, but the game I talk about is probably already more then infamous.
Railworks a.k.a. Train Simulator is an exception because that market works very differently from other games.

First of all, lot of their DLC is made by third-party developers, not the developers of the game.
Also, their DLC is only intended to be purchased by a handful of users each. Players are not expected to eventually purchase all the DLC to "complete" the game because the game by itself is already "complete".

Another way to understand it is that the vast majority of Railworks players only purchase a handful DLCs. However, each player often purchases a completely different handful of DLCs, which is why they make so many.
If they didn't charge for some of the DLCs then some of the DLCs wouldn't be made, then you'd have some players complaining about the specific train they want not being available to them.

It's also worth noting that there is plenty of "freeware" content for Railworks that continues to be made and content occasionally is added to the base game for free, so it's not like the developer and third-parties aren't releasing free content.

Railworks/Train Simulator is not the only game that works this way. Flight sims like Microsoft Flight Simulator and X-Plane also work the same way, they just aren't on Steam for everyone to see.

Yes I know this is really off-topic, but it feels wrong to me when a fan of one non-mainstream genre criticizes how another non-mainstream genre does business because they don't quite understand how the other genre works, so I feel a strong need to inform and correct such misunderstandings.

(I do this elsewhere when I try to explain to others why Legend of Grimrock is tile-based and works the way it does) :lol:
Curunir

Post by Curunir »

Poll? What poll, just shut up and take my money! :D

Seriously though, I'd gladly pay for DLC that contains a new dungeon or new tilesets to use in an editor or used in said new dungeon.
DLC is only evil when it comes with all the negative implications that accompany the world lately. I thought I'd buy Modern Warfare 3 dlc. Then I was like "So it comes 5 months late on my PC, contains 4 maps that are ok for a game that is broken and costs 15 EUR? Thanks, but no thanks!"

On the other hand DLC for Grimrock which is more like that thing people used to call EXPANSION PACKS in the past, which actually add content to the game and that are not hacked together over a weekend... THAT I'd pay good money for.

p.s. YES, give us DLC/expansions/content because we love you and will pay for it because you do an awesome job!
AnaLoGMunKy

Post by AnaLoGMunKy »

Its as simple as this...

If you charge me for access to all extra content, I wont buy the game.
If you release some content for free, I will buy your game.

I dont mind if you charge for your own huge expansions but let me play user dungerons for free. Dont charge me for a map editor either.

When I see games like skyrim with huge mods left right and center, then I see games like ME3 that make you pay for, oh I dont know, polkadot panties to make your guy look cool, well, I feel a bit sick really, and Im not talking about the polkadot panties causing my nausia.