GPU Overheating

Have trouble running Grimrock 1 or you're wondering if your graphics card is supported? Look for help here.
armando2002

Re: GPU Overheating

Post by armando2002 »

Not to double post, but I'd also like to mention that this game is only taking up about 6% of my CPU and only about 10% of my memory, so the demand seems sorely on the GPU.
Ashtray

Post by Ashtray »

well.. developers are ex-Futuremark guys, so they are used to programming code that overloads GPU :D
My GPU stays below 70C now as I installed one 8cm and one 12cm extra fan.
snoozy

Post by snoozy »

Ashtray wrote:well.. developers are ex-Futuremark guys, so they are used to programming code that overloads GPU :D
My GPU stays below 70C now as I installed one 8cm and one 12cm extra fan.
I'm gonna do that too, thanks for the advice, friend.
Beastman666

Post by Beastman666 »

For those with nVidia overheating and possibly shutting down the pc (as i have discovered with my laptop):

vsync didn't solve my problem, shutting down my laptop after 10 minutes of gaming (longer at lower resulution and options)... but seems i have found a solution:

use nvidiainspector and set the fps limit (i have set it to 58 at 60 hz no lag and i was aber to game for about 45 minutes at 1366x768 with option full on high without shutting down and temperature going only as high as 84 degrees).
pilgrimboy

Post by pilgrimboy »

I would also like to note that the game completely crashed my computer. Not good.
Beastman666

Post by Beastman666 »

so. 1.5 hours with nvidia inspector limited 58 fps at 1280x720 fullscreen high textures, high filter, med shadows, med ssoa, vsync on wait... a step into the right direction...but i guess i have to play on my desktop to not ruin my laptop... :-(
Mayster

Post by Mayster »

In short, not a laptop friendly game.

FPS is not limited which results in excessive heat that can fry your GPU if not monitored.

Either use a FPS Limiter or wait till the actually limit the frames via in game patch.
atngnd

Post by atngnd »

I've got a passively cooled Gigabyte Radeon 4850 and the top temperatures I saw were 106°C. I need to improve my cooling ;-)
The computer in fact once shut down without warning, which I presume was due to the high temperatures. It was fine after waiting a minutes and turning it back on.

I notice that disabling SSAO makes the biggest difference, and of course reducing the resolution a bit.
Ihmemies

Post by Ihmemies »

My overclocked HD6970 at 2560x1600, everything maxed runs under 60C. I have vsync on though as in all games.

I think there's a problem in computer's cooling if software causes the components to overheat. Cooling should be adequate for all computing scenarios :)
Psykoyul

Post by Psykoyul »

Ihmemies wrote:My overclocked HD6970 at 2560x1600, everything maxed runs under 60C. I have vsync on though as in all games.

I think there's a problem in computer's cooling if software causes the components to overheat. Cooling should be adequate for all computing scenarios :)
Sure! And the fact that numerous users have this overheating problem only with Grimrock is mere coincidence :roll:

Srly... :lol:

Great coding job guys! be assured that I won't forget Almost Human anytime soon :lol: