Newb question re spell casting

Talk about anything Legend of Grimrock 1 related here.
Creosote

Newb question re spell casting

Post by Creosote »

Just downloaded and fired up the game, good old school dungeon crawling, great!
However, I cant find a manual (is there one, if so where is it?), and so far havent really needed one except for casting spells.
My Mage can cast the first fire spell, but each time I wish to cast it I have to click on the right hand, go into the spell inventory, select the first upper left icon, then click the blue glowing icon.
Is there a way to "set" that spell so I only have to right click the hand each time to cast the same spell without going into the spell inventory?
Thanks.
Jack Dandy

Re: Newb question re spell casting

Post by Jack Dandy »

If it's via Steam, it's in the extras section. (store page > game manual).

Also, you can't do magic shortcuts. Spells should be carefully executed. :twisted:
Fadobo

Post by Fadobo »

Is there a way to "set" that spell
Nope, the way you do it is the only way. Allegedly to make castings magic a more complex than swinging an axe (which it probably would be).
Weetu

Post by Weetu »

Hi,

The manual is in the extras directory inside the install directory of the game (e.g. C:\Program Files\Legend of Grimrock\extras).

The spellcasting system works just the way you are describing it. Spellcasting is not supposed to be trivial ;)
Ilsyde

Post by Ilsyde »

The only way you can make it easier is to prepare the spell by selecting the glyphs but not clicking on the blue 'cast' button. Those glyphs will stay highlighted until needed, even if you fiddle around in your inventory. But during a prolonged fight you'll have to manually click the glyphs every time that spell is required. Keep moving around and don't let enemies hit you while doing this.

List of available spells can be found here. (minor spoilers, obviously)
Creosote

Post by Creosote »

Many thanks for the fast and descriptive replies. Great forum.

I understand why its been made this way, but I feel it may become tedious after a while. May as well have it each time a sword is swung you have to select that sword etc. Seems a bit daft to me, but whatever, it is what it is! I shall see I go and if it isnt good for me will restart without a mage.

Thanks again!
Mychaelh

Post by Mychaelh »

See it this way:
Swinging a sword is a mundane thing, not demanding special attention.
To channel arcane energy 'out of the astral realm' demands inward concentration and puts your attention 'out of this world' for a little moment.
wickermoon

Post by wickermoon »

I wouldn't say mundane. Swinging a sword surely is, but swinging a sword effectively is everything but mundane. Still, concentrating on your incantations, summoning phrases and hand gestures in a fight is probably much more complicated than swinging a sword (which becomes instinct after a while). Then again, I couldn't imagine that simple spells aren't cast by instinct, either.

So maybe spells you've used heavily may become available as "quick cast" with an additional casting time (in addition to the current wait time between spells). But that would be limited to only the simplest of spells and the amount of usage would probably be quite big. That said, I love the way the casting system is implemented. :)

edit: that's not a change suggestion for the current casting system. Just a random thought on an advanced version of it, for the sake of pondering. ;)
Point08

Post by Point08 »

You guys are applying WAY too much logic to a game not based in reality. :lol:
wickermoon

Post by wickermoon »

Point08 wrote:You guys are applying WAY too much logic to a game not based in reality. :lol:
After all, it's a mix between fantasy and reality. And for a fantasy world to be acceptable and appealing, it should make a certain amount of sense. Otherwise it'll get ridiculous. That's why Tolkien's Middle-Earth is so appealing. It all makes sense. :)