Things the devs didn't think through

Talk about anything Legend of Grimrock 1 related here.
rossman86

Re: Things the devs didn't think through

Post by rossman86 »

As someone mentioned, the exp scaling suggests that nobody in their right mind will break level 14. I think if they had balanced the game so that at 14 you had 75-80 skill points, you would be able to specialize heavily into one tree and have enough points leftover to experiment a little.
seebs

Post by seebs »

Halk wrote:Farming/grinding breaks dungeon crawlers/RPGs. The games are designed to be difficult. The skill for the player is to overcome that difficulty, as efficiently as possible while creating the most resilient and effective characters. It defeats that mechanic if you just stop and gain a few levels before continuing.
But overpowering stuff is also a game. I knew someone who had characters in DM that basically couldn't die -- their regeneration was too fast for even max-power fireballs and poison to noticably harm them. Which is sorta cool.

And this plays into another issue, which is that many people (including me sometimes) will intentionally "level up" to make the game more about puzzles and less about the challenges of combat.
bugnomore

Post by bugnomore »

Halk wrote:Farming/grinding breaks dungeon crawlers/RPGs. The games are designed to be difficult. The skill for the player is to overcome that difficulty, as efficiently as possible while creating the most resilient and effective characters. It defeats that mechanic if you just stop and gain a few levels before continuing.
not this kind of crawler, where the challenge comes (or at least should come) mainly from puzzles. combat and character stats are already for the most part trivialized by circle strafing, grinding breaks little in this case
Halk

Post by Halk »

bugnomore wrote:
not this kind of crawler, where the challenge comes (or at least should come) mainly from puzzles. combat and character stats are already for the most part trivialized by circle strafing, grinding breaks little in this case
I think that's really down to opinion. I enjoy the combat, and from what I've read over the years a great number of people do as well. It's difficult, you have choices to make, you decide if you push ahead and risk getting surrounded, or if you play it safe.. you decide if you're going to rest up and waste food or if you can push on etc.

Once you start powerlevelling past any difficulty in combat then it skips a great deal of the game. If you're going to make the point that combat is trivial in the game, then you may as well start the game and hex edit yourself up to 1K hps.
seebs

Post by seebs »

Even if you level up quite a bit, combat can still be pretty lethal. In DM, anything short of "left joystick on autofire on an ability overnight" for power-levelling would not let you trivially kill the tougher monsters; you still had to pay at least some attention. It's just that if you outlevelled stuff a lot, you could make a couple of mistakes in a one-minute fight and win, instead of making one mistake in a five-minute fight and losing.
Exiled

Post by Exiled »

After reading this topic it feels kinda spoily and i want to restart my current progress because i was investing into 3 different skills for each hero. Thought it's okay to have one strong defensive and offensive abilities with some support stuff. At least now i will start spending skill points with more focused way i guess as i'm only past third level.
But i think that being able to max out one skill and get another to let's say a half is proper way of how it's should be done.

I think what people said about skillcap and awaiting to introduce new levels by developers might be true. I just hope it won't be released as DLCs, i don't really like to purchase games on instalments.
Halk

Post by Halk »

Exiled wrote:After reading this topic it feels kinda spoily and i want to restart my current progress because i was investing into 3 different skills for each hero. Thought it's okay to have one strong defensive and offensive abilities with some support stuff. At least now i will start spending skill points with more focused way i guess as i'm only past third level.
But i think that being able to max out one skill and get another to let's say a half is proper way of how it's should be done.

I think what people said about skillcap and awaiting to introduce new levels by developers might be true. I just hope it won't be released as DLCs, i don't really like to purchase games on instalments.
People keep saying expansions are fine but DLC isn't... To me they mean the same thing. All I can think of is that people don't want ripped off...

Would you be ok if they released a second dungeon, where your characters could go after this one. Another x number of levels, about the same amount of gameplay and they were looking for 1/2 the cost of the game? To me that sounds pretty good.

Additionally there will be fan made dungeons available for free too.. part of what we've paid for is a full set of modding tools, so expect to see greater things coming.

As for restarting - That is very very much my point about the current way it works. You're right now feeling screwed by the skill system because it has big rewards for chasing one skill only.... to the point where there's a massive difference between powerplaying and not powerplaying.
Baxter

Post by Baxter »

The OP has a point in that in order to actually master a skill you literally cannot put anything into any other skill, or you have to pump skill books the average ending level of 13 only allows for 13x4+1-4 skill points, meaning you have 53-56 skill points as default. This isn't really an intuitive way to have a skill system, as most RPG's instead allow for a character to invest in and master a couple of skills and having a balanced skill set, the amount of skills available to master depending on the rules system in use.
t0tem

Post by t0tem »

You mean you guys didn't max staff defense?
Darklord

Post by Darklord »

One thing I really like about having so many skills is it gives you many choices and when we get expansions that allow us to continue with our characters you'll be able to continue upping a variety of skills and possibly even further increase those at 50, who knows? :D

Daniel.
A gently fried snail slice is absolutely delicious with a pat of butter...