Laptop Perfomance Comparison Chart (forum-sourced)

Talk about anything Legend of Grimrock 1 related here.
drailex_mauder

Laptop Perfomance Comparison Chart (forum-sourced)

Post by drailex_mauder »

UPDATED (with original post and a link to Ganimoth's GMA game play video near the end of this message)

Now that my original question has been answered by kreischweide (big round of applause), I've compiled a list of confirmed laptop models and the owner's statements about performance:

Model // Owner // Specs //
Owner's Comment

Lenovo X200T // kreischweide // Core 2 Duo SL9400 1.86GHz, 4GB RAM, Intel GMA X4500HD //
"Got 18-24fps with low/med mixed settings. Dont expect it to be silk smooth"
==== Note: the above X200T is an excellent guide for the lowest playable hardware for LoG ====

Lenovo Y560 // buffyoa // no specs provided //
"1920x1080 (external screen) with full details ... it runs fine but its close to the limit"

Asus G73JW // TheBigMick // no specs provided //
"highest settings possible ... [r]uns smooth as silk"

Asus G53SW // filemon // no specs provided //
"1920x1080, everything on max. Runs very smooth"

Acer Aspire 5750G // lostprophet // Core i5, 8GB RAM, Geforce GT540M //
"runs smoothly on full detail, sadly the max. resolution for me is 1366x768"

================================
NOTES ABOUT INTEL GMA VIDEO
If you are interested in the original post about Intel GMA performance, here's Ganimoth's YouTube video showing the game on GMA video hardware running at 640x480 resolution. Better than nothing!
http://youtu.be/c3Oo1zKZqtE

Just keep in mind Ganimoth's comments about changing resolution below the official minimum setting:
You can also manually decrease resolution to 800*600 by editing config.cfg in (...My Documents\Almost Human\Legend of Grimrock). Beware, some part of game will be unusable - you will just not see buttons - its on your risk. Character creation for example. So decrease it only when youve completed your party.
A big round of applause goes to Ganimoth for these contributions.

ORIGINAL POST
I'm totally interested in buying this game. However, I have a laptop and that isn't changing any time soon.

It is a Lenovo X201 Tablet.
- Intel GMA HD (4500MHD) video
- Intel Corel i7-640LM @ 2.13 GHz CPU
- 4GB PC-8500 RAM
- Intel 320 Series 120GB SSD

Of course, the Intel GMA video is my big concern. It supports DX10 and Shader Model 4.0, but I have no illusions about it being a gaming solution. The primary purpose of this machine is to get me through law school, and Grimrock is likely to be the only game ever installed.

Has anyone tried the game with similar specs, especially Intel GMA video?

DM
Last edited by drailex_mauder on Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:13 pm, edited 6 times in total.
buffyoa

Re: How's Your Laptop Perfomance?

Post by buffyoa »

im playing on 1920x1080 (external screen) with full details on my lenovo y560 (i5, 4gb ram, hd5730). it runs fine but its close to the limit. considering my almost 2 year old gpu has around 3800 points in 3d mark vantage and yours around 330 points you wont be able to play the game at all, even with low res and low details.
kreischweide

Post by kreischweide »

Played it on my x200t for some time. Got 18-24fps with low/med mixed settings. Dont expect it to be silk smooth. You need an external mouse, otherwise your reaction time is too low. Was suprised it worked that well, compred to other games and the GMA.
Ganimoth

Post by Ganimoth »

You can also manually decrease resolution to 800*600 by editing config.cfg in (...My Documents\Almost Human\Legend of Grimrock). Beware, some part of game will be unusable - you will just not see buttons - its on your risk. Character creation for example. So decrease it only when youve completed your party.
kreischweide

Post by kreischweide »

buffyoa wrote:considering my almost 2 year old gpu has around 3800 points in 3d mark vantage and yours around 330 points you wont be able to play the game at all, even with low res and low details.
Thats why those benchmarks are worthless. They compare equal systems and settings on a custom engine. He can run the game and play it, with a bit less details than you have. SSOA, AA and shadowdetails dont matter that much when you only got a ~1280x800 resolution.
Ganimoth

Post by Ganimoth »

I would only worry about end levels of the game, they are somewhat more demanding.
TΛPETRVE

Post by TΛPETRVE »

I have one of these high-end Sony VAIO monstrosities, which I mainly use for video editing, and while it's not really a gaming machine, it runs Grimrock perfectly on max settings. Only when there's a lot of smoke effects on screen - namely, when a bunch of amanita herders are filling the area with poison clouds- things get a little choppy.
YOU NOW PROSSESS DRACULA'S RIB!
drailex_mauder

Post by drailex_mauder »

kreischweide wrote:Played it on my x200t for some time. Got 18-24fps with low/med mixed settings. Dont expect it to be silk smooth. You need an external mouse, otherwise your reaction time is too low. Was suprised it worked that well, compred to other games and the GMA.
Thanks for posting you experiences with an X200 Tablet. Do you have the C2D SL9400 1.86GHz CPU? How much RAM?

Also, have you tried playing the game with your tablet pen instead of an external mouse?

DM
drailex_mauder

Post by drailex_mauder »

kreischweide wrote:
buffyoa wrote:considering my almost 2 year old gpu has around 3800 points in 3d mark vantage and yours around 330 points you wont be able to play the game at all, even with low res and low details.
Thats why those benchmarks are worthless. They compare equal systems and settings on a custom engine. He can run the game and play it, with a bit less details than you have. SSOA, AA and shadowdetails dont matter that much when you only got a ~1280x800 resolution.
Also, when the last game a person has played in the genre was Eye of the Beholder II on an 80286 12.5MHz CPU with 1MB of RAM and a 20MB hard drive, anything is going to be amazing by comparison! I'm not really concerned about all the eye candy. ;)

DM
drailex_mauder

Post by drailex_mauder »

Ganimoth wrote:You can also manually decrease resolution to 800*600 by editing config.cfg in (...My Documents\Almost Human\Legend of Grimrock). Beware, some part of game will be unusable - you will just not see buttons - its on your risk. Character creation for example. So decrease it only when youve completed your party.
Nice tip. Thanks!

DM