Just 10 minutes playing, enjoying it more than Skyrim

Talk about anything Legend of Grimrock 1 related here.
Radioman970

Re: Just 10 minutes playing, enjoying it more than Skyrim

Post by Radioman970 »

I love Skyrim. But I haven't played it in a while since I had some texture problems. A driver update fixed it (I hope) but... now this game had come out and well... . I'm playing this. :)
I'd take one of the four wooden clubs I was carrying and just bash open doors with it.
- if life were like Dungeon Master

I'd click FIREBALL much more on New Year's Eve
- if life were like Eye of the Beholder
Curunir

Post by Curunir »

Skyrim saddens me deeply, as it's just Oblivion with somewhat sharper textures.

Oblivion was great (with enough mods), but it was such a huge leap in tech, beauty and freedom compared to Morrowind (even if Morrowind had more varied locations and better story and gameplay overall).
Bethesda had to give players much much more if they wanted to step up things just as much with the Obliv to Skyrim transition.
Dalton

Post by Dalton »

Don't worry. In Elder Scrolls VI, you'll get to see sweat on your character's face with REAL WATER PHYSICS. Each blade of grass will be an individually rendered entity, able to be blown by actual physics-driven wind, and you can even cut the grass and watch it grow!

... seriously, how demanding are you people of a video game?
Dalton

Post by Dalton »

Curunir wrote:(even if Morrowind had more varied locations and better story and gameplay overall)
You know my favorite part of Morrowind? Standing there letting a mud crab hit me for two hours so my shield skill would level up slightly. Combat entirely based on "Wail away at whatever is standing in front of you and hope that you hit them more than they hit you".
dogthenine

Post by dogthenine »

Botiquita wrote:This game produces a sense of atmosphere and tension, that Skyrim pales in comparison. Of course, it is a personal opinion.

Thank you very much my dear Finnish comrades !
While I think Skyrim is a better game, I am definitely enjoying LoG more. I pretty much had to force myself to play Skyrim. Not having that same problem with LoG!
Devater

Post by Devater »

To be honest Legend of Grimrock is by far one of the most thrilling games i have played so far...Not a single game (to this moment) has been so hard and mind blowing....In fact ...so far iv gotten to level 9 of the mountain...but i decided to call one of my old friends with who i played Dungeon master So much in the past, that i cant remember how many hours i have wasted of my life...So i got him and now we are playing on Hard / Old School mode and trust me...having someone to do the moves ingame and someone else to map everything out on a piece of paper just brings back so many memories and its really REALLY fun...i suggest you all try to do so :D :D

But you really Cant compare one game to another...when they have nothing in comon...LoG is a Dungeon crawler and Skyrim is a wide open world RPG which has dungeons for you to go in bash things and loot chests....While in LoG when you find a secret or some very rare item, the joy fills your soul so much :D
Radioman970

Post by Radioman970 »

they can both be great, one doesn't have to slaughter the other. ;)
I'd take one of the four wooden clubs I was carrying and just bash open doors with it.
- if life were like Dungeon Master

I'd click FIREBALL much more on New Year's Eve
- if life were like Eye of the Beholder
SecretSantana

Post by SecretSantana »

Agree, this experience is far more enjoyable than any Elder Scrolls experience.
I've been sick of "immersive 3D worlds" since the late 90s. They are almost the opposite of immersive.
veector

Post by veector »

Xcomet wrote:Agree so much, just my personal opinion but for atmosphere, gameplay and faithful representation of "the good old days" this beats Skyrim hands down for me :D
Same for me!
xdeath

Post by xdeath »

I'm getting a little sick of the Skyrim Comparisons. Two games that only share the RPG classification and nothing else. There are a LOT of other RPGs out there people, why not compare Dragon Age or Final Fantasy instead?
I think it would be better to compare Grimrock to other indie titles instead. Such as Amnesia: The Dark Descent, they both share a similar atmosphere and sense of exploration.