Editor licensing / agreements / copyrights

Announcements and discussion regarding the forums.
paprik123

Editor licensing / agreements / copyrights

Post by paprik123 »

Hi Guys,

I was looking for any information about using the Editor commercially and how to obtain agreements or copyrights to be able to do that.

It looks like the developers are not in touch anymore or they just ignore those questions. I see that the Editor is linked to the Workshop so to be able to use their tool would have require unlock and remove programs from Grimrock to become a standalone program.

Does anybody has any answers from developers about how to use their Editor and additional apps to release your own game with your own assets?? The Editor would have much more value as standalone.

Thanks
minmay

Re: Editor licensing / agreements / copyrights

Post by minmay »

The modding terms explicitly forbid what you propose:
Running the mod must require an original copy of Legend of Grimrock 1 or Legend of Grimrock 2. Running the mod may not require, or perform, any modifications to the original game installation.
You cannot charge money for your mod. Using voluntary donations or advertisements in moderation are acceptable on the websites used for distributing the mod but not within the mod itself.
You may only modify or redistribute those original or modified Legend of Grimrock game assets contained in the Grimrock asset pack for the purpose of creating mods. The redistributed assets must be contained in a package file (.dat file) generated by the Dungeon Editor. Any other use, commercial or non-commercial, for these assets is forbidden.
No commercial usage, no usage outside of Grimrock.
I suggest that you write your own editor for your game.
paprik123 wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 3:06 pmI see that the Editor is linked to the Workshop
The only Steam Workshop integration in the dungeon editor is the "Publish to Workshop..." option in one dropdown menu. Nobody's forcing you to use it. I've publicly released several custom dungeons, all of which were created with the dungeon editor, and all of which were not published to the Steam Workshop.
Grimrock 1 dungeon
Grimrock 2 resources
I no longer answer scripting questions in private messages. Please ask in a forum topic or this Discord server.