1.1.4 Patch Progress

Have trouble running Grimrock 1 or you're wondering if your graphics card is supported? Look for help here.
quester99

Re: 1.1.4 Patch Progress

Post by quester99 »

Bargeral wrote:Um, I've killed my games by hitting quick load by mistake. If you add a quick save/load please add an "are you sure" dialog to the load half.
Kind of defeats the purpose of quick save/load. Better to have an option to turn on/off this feature. Once the option is 'on' then buyer beware so to speak.

Quick is quick...People wanting quick save/load don't want to be slowed down with dialog boxes.
Halk

Post by Halk »

quester99 wrote:
Nwardezir wrote:Another request for more replayability : randomize items.
Suggestion pulled from this topic : viewtopic.php?f=13&t=831
Ugh! PLEASE DON'T. This is not Baldur's Gate or Diablo. This is a Dungeon Master derivative. Plain and simple.
I think it could be done... for example the major weapons could all be in game but the sword might be where the mace is and vice versa. Where you're picking up a piece of minor armour there might be a different piece there every time.

Absolutely not the loot system from modern RPGs, no way no thanks!

But mixing specific items up would be fine. I don't know that it would add a great deal to the game, but it'd perhaps mix things up a little and stop people playing relying on a sword being there and an axe being elsewhere.
quester99

Post by quester99 »

Halk wrote:
quester99 wrote:
Nwardezir wrote:Another request for more replayability : randomize items.
Suggestion pulled from this topic : viewtopic.php?f=13&t=831
Ugh! PLEASE DON'T. This is not Baldur's Gate or Diablo. This is a Dungeon Master derivative. Plain and simple.
I think it could be done... for example the major weapons could all be in game but the sword might be where the mace is and vice versa. Where you're picking up a piece of minor armour there might be a different piece there every time.

Absolutely not the loot system from modern RPGs, no way no thanks!

But mixing specific items up would be fine. I don't know that it would add a great deal to the game, but it'd perhaps mix things up a little and stop people playing relying on a sword being there and an axe being elsewhere.
Yes sir, it could definitely be done. That is not the question, with programmers anything can be done.

However, I am expressing this opinion:
Yes it is old school BUT THAT IS THE POINT hahaha. Hopefully the sales reflect people's desire for this type of gameplay. Please don't change it.
My 'vote' is for what the developers have given us: Old school, Dungeon Master gameplay. I love the respect and authenticity of the game given to us by the autthors. I am not pretending to be wanting anything other than traditional Dungeon Master gameplay or at least as close to that as possible.

A game can be altered by any number of permutations or variations, but to me what is special about this game is how 'focused' and 'true' the experience is to those of use who were around when the original Dungeon Master came out for the Atari ST and Amiga.

Maybe I am a dinosaur hahaha but then maybe 'Almost Human' is too. But I hope their sales are reflecting that there are a lot of dinosaurs wanting this gameplay experience. Peace.
Halk

Post by Halk »

I'm afraid I still feel I'm being misunderstood. I'm as old school as it gets... that change wouldn't make make or break it's old school credibility :)

Bard's Tale and Gold Box had random loot... DM had preset loot. I'm saying I prefer preset loot but if they were going to mix it around - not random loot - then I'd not be bothered. It's not on my list of must have features though.
quester99

Post by quester99 »

Halk wrote:I'm afraid I still feel I'm being misunderstood. I'm as old school as it gets... that change wouldn't make make or break it's old school credibility :)

Bard's Tale and Gold Box had random loot... DM had preset loot. I'm saying I prefer preset loot but if they were going to mix it around - not random loot - then I'd not be bothered. It's not on my list of must have features though.
I can see your point of view friend. Definitely some people would find benefit in random loot, some people would not care and some people would oppose it.

Personally, when I got all the Lyte and Darc armor sets in Dungeon Master it was glorious. I had to solve the puzzles and traverse the trials and tribulations to acquire the full sets. There was nothing random about it. I earned it and that made it memorable :D.

I am with you, I prefer the preset loot in this game. The difference is I *would* be bothered if they changed it. DM and its inspirations like Grimrock are based on solving hideous puzzles and challenges and being rewarded with certain inventory items.

I loved Champions of Norrath and would farm bosses endlessly to collect coveted items. But that is not the Dungeon Master/Legend of Grimrock experience (in my opinion).

Different games, different gameplay experiences.
Halk

Post by Halk »

I didn't realise until just now we were having the discussion in two different threads... Anyway. Just for completeness in case anybody picks it up.. I don't really think there's much more to add. You don't like the idea, which is fine. I'm ambivalent about it.

However Chaos Strikes Back did it... it mixed up the more powerful items so that you didn't know what you were going to get! :)
sprawler

Post by sprawler »

random loot is bad idea, imagine this you just solved a hard riddle open chest and thers some random bad items. then you spent hours and hours on randomizing chest just to get good stuff- BAD . Or you must finish games 3-4 times to get good stuff , not everyone has time to play like crazy one game and completing it 6 times just to have some good items , or reloading several times one each chest , waste of time .

randomze loot is good for games that absorb you life and for poepole who want to play them over and over , and have time for such playing . It is good for mmo or hack and slash games.
DesiQ

Post by DesiQ »

I don't know if this has been mentioned, but I just wanted to report an inconsistency: when attacking enemies on the other side of a gate (not a solid door), spears cannot hit them. I can understand that swords wouldn't hit them since they're short-range slashing weapons, but spears and arrows and such should.
glyn_ie

Post by glyn_ie »

MINOR BUG: On level 9 at the west end of the pillared hallway, the textures of the right-hand side corridor wall pillar flicker. This is triggered by free-looking around with the mouse (double checked).
RMariano

Post by RMariano »

Oh, How I'd love to be able to print the level maps in full page size...

Would it be possible to provide the images of the level maps 1024x768?

Many thanks in advance....
Regards,

RMariano