Using gates to your advantage.

Talk about anything Legend of Grimrock 1 related here.
Prometheus2112

Using gates to your advantage.

Post by Prometheus2112 »

I have found this works rather well when you become overwhelmed with enemies. Find a small room with a closable gate. Lure the hoard back to the room. Stop once you get in , shut the gate , sleep/heal up , then open it just enough to launch attack from all 4 characters and shut it again. Repeat over and over. Works great if you are being chased by a hoard of spiders.
Isaac

Re: Using gates to your advantage.

Post by Isaac »

It's an ancient tactic (certainly present in the games they based LoG on); nothing wrong with it... I've used it plenty today.

But something I did notice (that I don't know if it's deliberate), is that in Grimrock's case the inventory UI obscures most door chains ~making it impossible to open or close the door while any character is into their inventory.
Shrugn

Post by Shrugn »

You would have to turn 90 degrees to your Right to get the mechanism at the left side of your screen, when you keep the inventory opened ;)

Yeah, the left rear row guy will get hit if you're not fast enough, or if you time your movement badly, but hey, it works. But, maybe, later on ...
SpoilerShow
It won't work as well!

Also, too bad we can't use the doors to kill the mobs like in Dungeon Master and ( I think, can't remember clearly ) Eye of the Beholder... But then, it was a bit easy to dispatch a monster using this tech !
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

Shrugn wrote:You would have to turn 90 degrees to your Right to get the mechanism at the left side of your screen, when you keep the inventory opened ;)
8-)
Also, too bad we can't use the doors to kill the mobs like in Dungeon Master and ( I think, can't remember clearly ) Eye of the Beholder... But then, it was a bit easy to dispatch a monster using this tech !
You can do tellefrags well enough. :twisted:
I gibbed all the undead in the portal room, where you place the four scrolls. Get them to follow you, step in, wait for a beat, then step back while they are in front of the portal ~they instantly explode (even four at a time).
dbgager

Post by dbgager »

Its a good tactic..But try not to use it to much as it is very time consuming, with all the resting. Therefore it consumes food at a higher rate. You will find yourself starving to death later on, after you run out of food.
jlfreund

Post by jlfreund »

Ya, that's one thing I really miss from DM is the crushing gates.
Patchumz

Post by Patchumz »

Pretty much the only way I was surviving level 9 due to half of my DPS being worthless
SpoilerShow
because those damn things resist ice spells
HeavyMetalMonk

Post by HeavyMetalMonk »

So hit with weapons, don't fight in corridors, don't get cornered and keep sidestepping.

I'm almost finished level 9 and have never had to abuse the gates.
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

HeavyMetalMonk wrote:So hit with weapons, don't fight in corridors, don't get cornered and keep sidestepping.

I'm almost finished level 9 and have never had to abuse the gates.
How is it abuse? What do you consider to be wrong with closing the gate on a slime or a crowern, snail ~or anything in the maze? Why wouldn't a group make use of a door for defense?

** Granted... It'd be nice if certain monsters (those with hands) had the option to pull on the chain too. :twisted:
TΛPETRVE

Post by TΛPETRVE »

Isaac wrote:** Granted... It'd be nice if certain monsters (those with hands) had the option to pull on the chain too. :twisted:
Keep playing. At some point, you'll wish you kept your mouth shut ;) .

As far as the UI obstructing goes: That's why I use the number keys to open/close inventory screens. Not only does it work a lot faster than using the mouse, it also negates some horrible lag that occurs when swapping character inventories during battle and almost got me killed once or twice.
YOU NOW PROSSESS DRACULA'S RIB!