Evasion vs protection?

Talk about anything Legend of Grimrock 1 related here.
robc

Evasion vs protection?

Post by robc »

Has anyone seen an explanation of how these work? Is the evasion skill number the % chance the character has to evade an attack or isn't it that simple?
Does the protection rating reduce the amount of damage taken by an amount = to the protection rating?

Thanks
MoreDread

Re: Evasion vs protection?

Post by MoreDread »

its probably not a percentage because i think it can go above 100.
the only thing i know is that evasion only protects you against melee attacks
missiles and magic cannot be evaded, only dodged by moving your whole party.
but evasion seems to be more effective in melee combat than protection.

my rogue almost never gets hit by melee attacks, even when fighting lots of enemies.
a group of 4 means trouble for my fighter, even in half plate, half valor armor because
she does get hit very often. she recieves less damage, but her health drops alot faster.
Velvetwinter

Post by Velvetwinter »

I haven't tested evasion yet, but I do know that's how the resists work, % reduction which caps at 100, and at 100 you are immune to that damage type.

Since that mechanic is being used, it is plausible that evasion could follow it as well. Who knows, maybe protection is % reduction to physical damage as well.
Halk

Post by Halk »

My best guess is that evasion is applied against the accuracy of the person attacking you, and armour is applied as a factor against the damage you take.

Did they hit you? Yes. How much damage did your armour absorb?
robc

Post by robc »

Thanks for the replies. The devs didn't really give enough info for the player to make informed choices.
Ihmemies

Post by Ihmemies »

Currently my warrior has 77 prot and rogue has 95 evasion. With evasion headpiece rogue would have 105, but since he never gets hit anyways I use a dps hat instead. Protection feels weak compared to evasion, my warrior takes more damage and because of the larger HP pool it feels like it takes forever to regen too.

I think it's pretty logical though... taking damage hurts more more than not taking the hits in the first place :)
Soulmancer

Post by Soulmancer »

Evasion > Protection by far... From what I can tell protection is near useless for absorbing melee damage.