Average Age ...

Talk about anything Legend of Grimrock 1 related here.
LiqMat

Re: Average Age ...

Post by LiqMat »

Skirmisher wrote:...my 11 year old nephew likes it; did not think a dungeon crawler would have enough wow factor for todays kids.
Good gameplay is timeless.
pharaon

Post by pharaon »

38 here... Love LoG !
Have been played all dungeon crawlers as possible, if only could have been more of the genre nowadays..
Dungeon Master I + II (Amiga)
Black Crypt (Amiga)
EOB I, II, II
etc...
amicus

Post by amicus »

34 here, almost losing count :P

I think my first RPG was probably Eye of the Beholder 2, but I was so blown away by it, I ended up playing every RPG I could get my hands on. So I played all three of those EOB games, and then all of the Lands of Lore games, Stonekeep, Shadowcaster, all the Krondor games, most of the Wizardry and Ultima games, Summoner, and loads of others. It's sad though because I felt like RPG's peaked some time in the late 90's and then started a slow but steady decline towards "action hack n slash RPG's" which is all we have left these days.

I do have some more modern games which are kind of my mainstay (check out "Project 99" or "Shards of Dalaya"), but it's nice to have a single player RPG but which isn't completely shallow and challenge-less. LoG really fits that bill nicely :)

mike30542 wrote:Seems I could be the oldest. I'll be 70 next month & have been a rpg & strategy gamer for 40+ years.
Loving the game though I do find the real time combat a little difficult (reflexes not what they used to be).
If you want a helping hand you might want to consider getting a posh mouse like a Logitech G500 (not very expensive) or something similar, and it has extra buttons which you can make do anything. With a bit of thinking out of the box and tinkering you could make this game almost play itself. Even just using the mouse itself (and the free software) you could make it so the mouse helps you side stepping. But taking it a step further you could even make a macro so that when you press one of the extra buttons on the mouse, it automatically presses the runes and shoots the fireball.
Halk

Post by Halk »

Skirmisher wrote:my 11 year old nephew likes it; did not think a dungeon crawler would have enough wow factor for todays kids.
Today's kids are starved of what we had in abundance - good challenging solid gameplay. The modern game is just a grind where you are periodically rewarded with new attack graphics and a cutscene. Children are incredibly perceptive and I'm sure that's why your nephew likes it over the modern experience.

I'm 36 and I've played virtually all of the dungeon crawling games...

The Bard's Tale might have been the first I played, it's the earliest RPG I can remember. I did not play Wizardry or Alkabeth till much later. And since Bard's Tale I've probably played most if not all of the major CRPGs since.

The genre has absolutely lost it's way and has any difficulty or challenge has been removed. Legend of Grimrock, and broadly speaking the indie game movement, are reawakening proper game playing.

I shouldn't be too critical of the modern game - Bioware and Bethesda do make some great games, they are polished and involving and they are fantastic entertainment, they just don't challenge.
DAKlives

Post by DAKlives »

49 here and still an avid gamer

I have to say that this game is MORE than a nostalgia trip, it is well thought out, gorgeous AND a fitting homage to games that had eaten up my relative youth :lol:

God bless Almost Human, so good to have a truly challenging fun game rather than what passes for that these days!!
Fade

Post by Fade »

33 :) Miss this type of games. I hope we will see more in the future and it will get the kind of upswing as the Adventure games got latly.
Mythago

Post by Mythago »

I'm 33, and been playing all kinds of computer games since the 80's. This game has been quite a nostalgia trip, I haven't played those grid-based dungeon crawlers in ages, but I immediately felt right at home when I started playing LoG. I'll admit I'm using the automapper though. I did draw the maps for EoB on grid paper back then, but that's one thing I'm willing to let the game handle this time. Still nice to see the option to turn it off, and there's even the empty grid map to print, smiled when I saw that. :)

I just descended down to level 7, and I've really liked the level design & puzzles so far. The clues for the puzzles aren't too obvious (after the first few), but after a while I figured out most of them, so they're very well done.
sevtai

Post by sevtai »

19, just

Love the game, played a few dungeon crawlers, spent a lot of time in Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall, if that counts =p

My earliest memory is sitting on my dads knee, waiting for him to kill all the bad guys on Might and Magic 6: Mandate of Heaven, so I could pick up all the corpses =p been gaming ever since
Yummy, more baked maggots ... bah, give them to the mage ...
maethlin

Post by maethlin »

what a great thread - awesome to see so many people in their 20s (and even younger) enjoying this - goes to show that big game publishers (read: clueless suits) have it all wrong when they decide there is no audience for games like these in today's market.

41 here.
Todbringer

Post by Todbringer »

mike30542 wrote:Seems I could be the oldest. I'll be 70 next month & have been a rpg & strategy gamer for 40+ years.
Loving the game though I do find the real time combat a little difficult (reflexes not what they used to be).
Chapeau bas. :)

Return to “Grimrock 1 Discussion”