Level 6 - Hall of Fire Pillar Buttons

This is the forum for helping you out if you're stuck or if you want to discuss the nitty gritty details of the dungeons within Mount Grimrock. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
Draken

Re: Level 6 - Hall of Fire Pillar Buttons

Post by Draken »

This one sure is a tough nut to crack. I to spent (im not kidding) 3 hours trying to shuffle around all the gaps in the room... i farmed so many exp from those archons i think i cheated. anyway, yes, the key is
SpoilerShow
using the closed pitfall from the torch. as soon as you press the 4th weapon, tap S to step back into the other platform, as the 4th platform has thrown me down into the pit like 30 times. also, you have to remember that you strafe to the left "A" ONCE... i always ended up strafing TWO times, falling into another open gap... so it's S,A,S,A... then you just turn around with E and try to strafe left all the way over to the 5th button...
once i dodged the pit was always falling into for strafing two times, i made it just in time to press the button, pat myself in the back, go for a slice of cake and soda and come back to get my prize.

also... dont forget
SpoilerShow
Westmost
Ugm

Post by Ugm »

Draken wrote:also... dont forget
SpoilerShow
Westmost
What does note exactly tell? I couldn't find the answer (and yes, I completed this riddle).
Draken

Post by Draken »

look at your map... where does the "westmost" part of that room leads you?
Ugm

Post by Ugm »

Down, there are holes... which I haven't probably fallen into yet. Hmm... I'll go back and check since I'm stuck at lvl 9 anyway.
tomvilfroy

Post by tomvilfroy »

Draken wrote:This one sure is a tough nut to crack. I to spent (im not kidding) 3 hours trying to shuffle around all the gaps in the room... i farmed so many exp from those archons i think i cheated. anyway, yes, the key is
SpoilerShow
using the closed pitfall from the torch. as soon as you press the 4th weapon, tap S to step back into the other platform, as the 4th platform has thrown me down into the pit like 30 times. also, you have to remember that you strafe to the left "A" ONCE... i always ended up strafing TWO times, falling into another open gap... so it's S,A,S,A... then you just turn around with E and try to strafe left all the way over to the 5th button...
once i dodged the pit was always falling into for strafing two times, i made it just in time to press the button, pat myself in the back, go for a slice of cake and soda and come back to get my prize.

also... dont forget
Sorry...but have spent the last 5 hours trying to get that last button and NO matter how much I try, that pit opens before I can even turn around. No matter how many times I've tried to strafe, the pit ALWAYS opens before I can EVEN get a chance to press the 5th button. So what gives??
Drax

Post by Drax »

You need to be memorising the key combinations (S,A,S,A,A etc) then just pressing them. The game will go through with the next movement if you quickly press them. From 4th to 5th, you need to make 2 turns. The rest is just moving.
tomvilfroy

Post by tomvilfroy »

Trust me..on my system it WILL NOT cache them. Trust me..when I enter 3 As..it will do only 2 As..and then the Ws..instant pit death on the 2nd W!

And yes I'm counting the #s of times I'm entering. Thought the first time I had entered one too few...everytime after, it is 3 As..and it is only doing 2 before the W. So there is no cache!!
Drax

Post by Drax »

Try lowering your graphics significantly? I remember someone in a different thread was having issues where the game wasn't rendering the object quick enough for them to use until they lowered.
Aravaine

Post by Aravaine »

SpoilerShow
This may be stating the obvious, but one thing that really helped me is to keep the mouse pointer steady and on the EXACT same spot on the screen as when you push your first button, that way when you get to the other buttons, you wont have to move your mouse at all. I spent the better part of this evening on that stupid room and I'm glad to be done with it.