Headache Wont Let Me Play LoG

Talk about anything Legend of Grimrock 1 related here.
oOldXman

Re: Headache Wont Let Me Play LoG

Post by oOldXman »

Saxi wrote:I've played almost all dungeon crawls, and almost every genre there is. I've never had this feeling before in a game. I've played all the way back from dungeon master and ultima underground days. My eye site is better than perfect, and I have well above average hardware.

I think it is something they can fix, I am not 100% sure of the problem, but it is likely related to head bobbing, motion blur, or some other visual effect that causes it. I feel it in minutes of playing and it lasts a good hour or two. I'm a heavy gamer and I play 1-4 hours almost every day.
DJK wrote:I can honestly say Im used to gaming.... been playing since 1985 and never really stopped. I don't have to work and for the last 6 years have played games 10-13 hours a day 7/7.. almost 365/365.. (usually get up at around 13:30.. start gaming at 14:00 and go to sleep at about 04-05 at night...

When Cataclysm expansion hitted in wow I went for server first archaeology and that took 37 hours straight grinding (digging, flying to new dig site, digging, flying to new... etc) without one break at all... I went to the toilet while flying and my gf gave my some quick to swallow food here and there... so, I call your notion, as another poster already said.. rubbish :)
Hold it! This is not a geek display. It supposed to be half-serious thread for hypochondriacs. Pff... There is no need to show off, we all know that I am the biggest geek around (Chuck Norris Approved) :mrgreen:.
HeavyMetalMonk

Post by HeavyMetalMonk »

I wouldn't even bother replying to that guy, that's his only post and I doubt he'll be back.

He is incredibly uneducated, though.
Sir Richfield

Post by Sir Richfield »

Soo... I tried a few things:
PS: I'm not affected, strangely enough. I find something strange in the way the game is displayed, but as of now it does not trigger me. I just feel that it *should* trigger me.

So, as far as I can see there is no deliberate motion blur when moving.
The Texture Filtering makes walls a bit "blurred" when moving one tile from it, but that is not the problem.
You might consider setting Texture Filtering to LOW and SSOA OFF.
Not that I went from *strange* to *that did it*, but it might do the trick for some of you.

My "Problem" is still the "headbob". That; I think, is not that hard to fix.*
At least it's not "The way you display textures" or "right angles make me sick".

Pro-Feature: The "Oldskool" Display Setting: No Headbob, almost no transition while moving or turning. ;)

*Meaning: No, I'm not a games programmer, but claim to understand enough about programming to know that making the "camera" move in a straight line instead of a curve is indeed possible to implement without taking the code to pieces. IF the guys knew their work.
An option to turn it off will be great.
regomar

Post by regomar »

This game doesn't give me a headache at all despite my eyes being so bad I'm a step from being legally blind. No idea why it's giving some people trouble.
Cyrco46

Post by Cyrco46 »

I have this problem with some game, not with Grimrock.
Saxi

Post by Saxi »

I'm noticing it isn't as bad now. It was really bad at first, but now I hardly notice it.
oOldXman

Post by oOldXman »

Saxi wrote:I'm noticing it isn't as bad now. It was really bad at first, but now I hardly notice it.
Yes, tested again, this time with Texture Filtering set to low and SSOA turned off and in window mode. Played about two hours, now I have minor headache, but the eye pain is still as intense as before plus I feel sick. Later I will try again this time in fullscreen and so on. Perhaps it is the motion sickness, in this game every turn is a big 90 degree turn, it leaves the impression of a rough ride.

Ohh and besides, this game is really fun! I can already see testing out new calculated with precision builds for each character. This is very similiar to Diablo where you are always having in mind "just one more monster, just one more", whereas in Legend of Grimrock it is more like "just one more corner, just one more" :).
BlindGrim

Post by BlindGrim »

I've experienced the same thing - nausea while playing LoG for quite a while. Even watching the YouTube vids made me nauseous. In my case, the "go-stop-go-stop" tile movement is affecting me. If the game couldn't run at 60fps, then I would probably puke after just 15 minutes of playtime. I attribute it to motion sickness, since I have a tendency to feel nauseous riding in cars with drivers with "heavy feet" on the pedals. Since this is one of the very few games that have this sort of movement, I've only experienced it here after more than 10 years of gaming. I doubt the devs can transition the game to smooth tile movement, since I think that will defeat the purpose of the core gameplay. I'm glad my friend had me try this out, since I was suspicious from watching the YT vids. I would have loved to purchase the game and support the devs, but unfortunately it's not a good idea for players like me.

P.S. - If it weren't for the nausea, nobody would have been able to pry me from the PC during my first try. It's a great game. Cheers to everyone else who can play it without any side effects! :D
Hariolor

Post by Hariolor »

I felt eyestrain/motion sickness at first, as well.

I've adapted to it as I got used to the game.

I also tinkered with the graphics settings to get a smooth movement. If you're FPS is too low you'll almost certainly feel ill from the choppy movement.
theblackfrog

Post by theblackfrog »

i have nearly the same problem with this game, dunno if its motion sickness but i feel not good after playing for a while but doesnt matter here coz the game is too good to left behind.