magic system...hmm a bit sad =/

Talk about anything Legend of Grimrock 1 related here.
hefa

Re: magic system...hmm a bit sad =/

Post by hefa »

I love the rune based system, but I do admit that I miss the way it was implemented in Dungeon Master. I could try to cast any spell I liked, but I had to start from weak versions first and practice even for that to work. As I practiced/used the spell more I could move to more powerful variants. And there was always a possibility for a spell to fail and for a spell to succeed. The feeling when you first casted a full power fireball was fulfilling. :)

I also miss the fact that every character had a rune set. I'm also sure that I was not the only one whose characters were fully armored battle mages at the end of dungeon master ;)

This is also a different game and I am loving every minute of playing so far, but I do hope that possible mods in the future could try to alter spell system a bit also. :)
Mychaelh

Post by Mychaelh »

Sol_HSA wrote:...Some of my more weird ideas can be found here: http://iki.fi/sol/magic.html
Just watched the Arx Fatalis clip. Best magic system in an CRPG ever. That's what I call 'occult'. :D
And I like your ideas. To dabble with 'arcane energies' has to be like dabbling with dangerous chemicals.
One should never be total sure about the outcome....
synthetictruism

Post by synthetictruism »

hefa wrote:I love the rune based system, but I do admit that I miss the way it was implemented in Dungeon Master. I could try to cast any spell I liked, but I had to start from weak versions first and practice even for that to work. As I practiced/used the spell more I could move to more powerful variants. And there was always a possibility for a spell to fail and for a spell to succeed. The feeling when you first casted a full power fireball was fulfilling. :)

I also miss the fact that every character had a rune set. I'm also sure that I was not the only one whose characters were fully armored battle mages at the end of dungeon master ;)

This is also a different game and I am loving every minute of playing so far, but I do hope that possible mods in the future could try to alter spell system a bit also. :)
I totally agree with that!

I loved that fact that the two characters I had up front - Stamm and Hawk had no Mana at all. With the help of a teowand, or a few other items, I was able to get them enough mana to cast the most basic LO FUL and LO VI spells to get a level or two and eventually develop into master wizards by the end of the game ready for CSB. Obviously they were not as powerful as my more specific mages - Wuuf and Tiggy - but could hold their own. In fact, on the flipside by the end my two wizards were quite tough...

It's a shame that's not really an option in LoG - characters seem a bit locked-in.
That's not really a complaint as such - I'm still loving the game!
Welcome back brave adventurers.
It is too bad you did not discover the true secret of the firestaff. Now that I have it I have no further need for you.
gonnarule

Post by gonnarule »

Just to recall my OP post, I'm not complaining about how to use magic in LoG, because I like it. Selecting the runes while avoiding mobs to cast a spell is fun. If you want to talk about that, there are so many others posts to do so. No need to reply here :)

OP was about the learning and discovering issue of spells in the game, and the fact that you are kinda forced to train in a specific school to unlock 1 spot for 1 spell of this school (and the one dev putted at this place in the school tree).
As someone said before, no, my tank had 0 pts in axe and could use an axe, and a sword, and whatever he found. Maybe later in the game weapons will have prerequisite, but yet he can equip what he wants. Same for my rogue.

School tree of melee characters just give more stats / power for a specific type of weapon, but none are mandatory to use a weapon.
For casters, school tree are mandatory to be able to cast (it seems, but I can be wrong), that's what I find a bit "unfair" and boring for my caster.

And please, for further replies (if any :D), just don't speak about "but I prefer using no runes ! I prefer a button for each spell !"... because it's not what's talked about here...
wickermoon

Post by wickermoon »

Well, I can understand part of the complaint. I would've loved for spells to be "explorable" by find a valid combination without having to unlock that spell slot in its respective mage school.

I'd revise the system so that you have a skill to unlock spell slots - so it basically unlocks the number of spells you can cast - and several spell schools that determine how effective spells from that school are. So for example you've unlocked 2 spell slots via the spell skill and you've found 2 combinations of spells (either through scrolls or by trial-and-error). Let's say Fireball and Enchant Ice Arrow. You are able to cast those spells, but the effectiveness of those spells (e.g. damage, duration, mana use) is determined by how many skill points you've spent in their respective schools.

So if you had spent 3 points in the Fire School and 2 in the Ice School your fireball would deal 20dmg and your ice arrows would add another 2 points of damage and have a chance of freezing an enemy, whereas if you spent all 5 points in Fire, you fireball deals 45dmg but your ice arrows only add another 1 point of damage.

This would enable mages to learn all spells - for example I couldn't open the iron door on lvl 6, because I was stupid with the fire blade and my mage couldn't cast fireball yet, so I had to return later - but the effectiveness of your spells still depend on your specializations.

Of course this is just another concept and personally I'd prefer it over the current LoG system, BUT that doesn't mean that I dislike the current LoG system!

Also, I miss enchanting or re-enchanting weapons (other than arrows and bolts). That would be awesome! :D
Simmox

Post by Simmox »

i found the shock spell just by experimenting with runes,of course you dont know what its called til you find the scroll,but you know what it does:P
killed my front rank doing it,but,found it just the same:)
xlaZuRelx

Post by xlaZuRelx »

gonnarule wrote:Just to recall my OP post, I'm not complaining about how to use magic in LoG, because I like it. Selecting the runes while avoiding mobs to cast a spell is fun. If you want to talk about that, there are so many others posts to do so. No need to reply here :)

OP was about the learning and discovering issue of spells in the game, and the fact that you are kinda forced to train in a specific school to unlock 1 spot for 1 spell of this school (and the one dev putted at this place in the school tree).
As someone said before, no, my tank had 0 pts in axe and could use an axe, and a sword, and whatever he found. Maybe later in the game weapons will have prerequisite, but yet he can equip what he wants. Same for my rogue.

School tree of melee characters just give more stats / power for a specific type of weapon, but none are mandatory to use a weapon.
For casters, school tree are mandatory to be able to cast (it seems, but I can be wrong), that's what I find a bit "unfair" and boring for my caster.

And please, for further replies (if any :D), just don't speak about "but I prefer using no runes ! I prefer a button for each spell !"... because it's not what's talked about here...
Well there is a very strong valid reason for it. You get auto hits and aoe damage to swarm mobs. They hurt like a bit*h and ice spell freezes enemies. Making it quickly available really spoils the game. I understand the need for versatility, sometimes i really want a fire spell to counter an ice immune mob. But then it would be unfair to have all utility spells available without points.
FrogConsortium

Post by FrogConsortium »

Budenzauber wrote:
Bottomline --> this is NOT World of Warcraft (gladly!!!!)
Please don't, no really... please, don't.
Kurgen

Post by Kurgen »

Budenzauber wrote:Bottomline --> this is NOT World of Warcraft (gladly!!!!)
...which has absolutely bugger all to do with the thread topic. Well done. :roll:

...or is snide inference going to be the common response to anyone suggesting any kind of change in this game?