[Open / Signup] One Room Round Robin 3 - Calling All Modders

Ask for help about creating mods and scripts for Grimrock 2 or share your tips, scripts, tools and assets with other modders here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
minmay

Re: [Open / Signup] One Room Round Robin 3 - Calling All Mod

Post by minmay »

Difficult to answer without seeing the spells in question :P
But the number itself is probably just low enough to be ok.
Grimrock 1 dungeon
Grimrock 2 resources
I no longer answer scripting questions in private messages. Please ask in a forum topic or this Discord server.
AndakRainor

Post by AndakRainor »

Spell pack reduced to 45 spells uploaded (R038).

I merged all storms and shields, removed some spells and the builtin physical shield spell, darkness, meteor storm.
I did not touch to the functions I promised to improve in previous posts, and there must be some code here and there that should now be deleted since it is no more used, but I did not have the time for all of this. I would like some more feedback about the spell list before doing it.
Last edited by AndakRainor on Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
minmay

Post by minmay »

Adding the spellbook functionality, grammar fixes, ice shards/firebeam fixes, and an original meteor ore model+texture (!!!!) now.

edit: AndakRainor, I think Elemental Shield should give 5 points of resistance per skill point in the element (and always 50 seconds of duration), instead of 10 seconds of duration per skill point. Thoughts? I can easily implement this.
Also, I'd like to roll the movement speed buff from Wind Rider into the air speed condition, so that you cannot stack it to get huge speeds.
I'd also like to make particle effects/lights/sounds for all the spells that don't have them. Do I have your permission to do this?
Grimrock 1 dungeon
Grimrock 2 resources
I no longer answer scripting questions in private messages. Please ask in a forum topic or this Discord server.
AndakRainor

Post by AndakRainor »

minmay wrote:Adding the spellbook functionality, grammar fixes, ice shards/firebeam fixes, and an original meteor ore model+texture (!!!!) now.
Nice! Will you do it for Fire Wall and Scorched Earth too?
minmay wrote:I think Elemental Shield should give 5 points of resistance per skill point in the element (and always 50 seconds of duration), instead of 10 seconds of duration per skill point. Thoughts? I can easily implement this.
It could be easier to track for the player this way, I agree. The 4 conditions having a fixed value, I suppose you want to redefine a merged new condition?
minmay wrote:Also, I'd like to roll the movement speed buff from Wind Rider into the air speed condition, so that you cannot stack it to get huge speeds.
I was surprised the run speed boost was not seen as a puzzle breaking effect to begin with :P. Sure it can be nerfed in that way, no problem. Maybe the bonus can be proportionnal to the standard spell power function in that case, to get a little variation?
minmay wrote:I'd also like to make particle effects/lights/sounds for all the spells that don't have them. Do I have your permission to do this?
Good idea! Some bubbles for water breathing perhaps? :D

Also:
- When testing spells in game; don't forget I added an overpowered necklace example to the wizard class starting gear; it should impact all spells castings. So remove it if you try to find a balanced starting power for a spell. And the spell power bonus staff and orb from Isle of Nex should be changed to use the generic magic school bonus I implemented if every one is okay.
- I saw in your builtin spells implementation thread you were concerned with under-water spell casting, for meteor storm specifically. What is the matter with that exactly? I know there is a way to cast spells under water, with aquatic trait items in both hands. Do you want to prevent this? Or maybe launch slower projectiles with bubble particles added? :lol:
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

AndakRainor wrote:Good idea! Some bubbles for water breathing perhaps? :D
This looks good too, I have done it with a diving helmet.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/e15vl63igde4b ... m.avi?dl=0
minmay

Post by minmay »

AndakRainor wrote:
minmay wrote:Adding the spellbook functionality, grammar fixes, ice shards/firebeam fixes, and an original meteor ore model+texture (!!!!) now.
Nice! Will you do it for Fire Wall and Scorched Earth too?
Those already work fine as far as I know. It's the ice shards creating spells specifically that were broken, because IceShardsComponent creates additional ice shards objects you were creating [range]*4 ice shards when you wanted to create only [range] ice shards.
AndakRainor wrote:
minmay wrote:I think Elemental Shield should give 5 points of resistance per skill point in the element (and always 50 seconds of duration), instead of 10 seconds of duration per skill point. Thoughts? I can easily implement this.
It could be easier to track for the player this way, I agree. The 4 conditions having a fixed value, I suppose you want to redefine a merged new condition?
It'll be 20 separate conditions, but to players it will still look like 4 conditions. Otherwise you end up tracking overlapping durations when multiple champions cast the spell, which is just a mess, and also you can't change conditions' descriptions on the fly so a smooth scale is out of the question unless you define 100+ conditions.
AndakRainor wrote:- I saw in your builtin spells implementation thread you were concerned with under-water spell casting, for meteor storm specifically. What is the matter with that exactly? I know there is a way to cast spells under water, with aquatic trait items in both hands. Do you want to prevent this? Or maybe launch slower projectiles with bubble particles added? :lol:
That was a matter of recreating the builtin spell exactly. If you cast builtin meteor storm and jump into water before all the meteors have been launched (or manage to cast the spell underwater in the beginning), the remaining meteors won't be launched. I'm not bothered by underwater spellcasting itself, but I didn't want to offer an implementation in that thread that was significantly different from the original. I don't think it's really a problem for the spell pack.
Grimrock 1 dungeon
Grimrock 2 resources
AndakRainor

Post by AndakRainor »

minmay wrote:It'll be 20 separate conditions, but to players it will still look like 4 conditions. Otherwise you end up tracking overlapping durations when multiple champions cast the spell, which is just a mess, and also you can't change conditions' descriptions on the fly so a smooth scale is out of the question unless you define 100+ conditions.
So this will negate spell power bonuses from items.
minmay

Post by minmay »

AndakRainor wrote:
minmay wrote:It'll be 20 separate conditions, but to players it will still look like 4 conditions. Otherwise you end up tracking overlapping durations when multiple champions cast the spell, which is just a mess, and also you can't change conditions' descriptions on the fly so a smooth scale is out of the question unless you define 100+ conditions.
So this will negate spell power bonuses from items.
The concentration spell power, including willpower, will still apply to duration. I suppose I could apply elemental spell power bonuses to the durations for their respective shields too but that seems a little weird.
Grimrock 1 dungeon
Grimrock 2 resources
AndakRainor

Post by AndakRainor »

Minmay, that seems fair enough.

Isaac, did you modify the underwater particle system when your effect is active to get that result?
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

This was the way I did it (a spawned cloudspell, and bubble particle system). I have the cloudspell object spawned at a regular interval whenever underwater. The result allows for the party to leave a trail of bubbles behind them as they move...Which is the effect that I wanted. A limited bread-crumb showing where they had been.

*The damage interval should probably be made far longer, (looking at it now); I may have simply not noticed it before.

** If you (or anyone) spot anything terrible about it, or unintended gotchas... do mention it, so I can fix it.

Code: Select all

defineObject{
  name = "underwater_bubbles",
  baseObject = "base_spell",
  components = {
    {
      class = "Particle",
      particleSystem = "underwater_bubbles",
      offset = vec(0, 1.5, 0),
    },

{
      class = "CloudSpell",
      attackPower = 0,
      damageInterval = 0.4,
      damageType = "poison",
      duration = 5,
      sound = "underwater_bubbles",
    },
  },
}

defineParticleSystem{
  name = "underwater_bubbles",
  emitters = {
    -- bubbles
    {
      emissionRate = 50,
      emissionTime = 0,
      maxParticles = 100,
      boxMin = {-1,-1.3,-1},
      boxMax = { 1, 0.8, 1},
      sprayAngle = {0,30},
      velocity = {0.5,1.0},
      objectSpace = true,
      texture = "assets/textures/particles/bubble.tga",
      lifetime = {1,1},
      color0 = {1.5,1.5,2.5},
      opacity = 0.15,
      fadeIn = 0.1,
      fadeOut = 0.3,
      size = {0.03, 0.05},
      gravity = {0,.2,0},
      airResistance = 0.1,
      rotationSpeed = 2,
      blendMode = "Additive",
    },
  }
}
BTW... Even though many bugs have been fixed in the ORRR3, only two appear to be listed so. We need to update the Pivotal Tracker entries as they are completed, or we won't be able to tell ~not without reading through all of the comments in each entry, as we approach the release date.