Sandbox mode?

Talk about anything Legend of Grimrock 1 related here.
i00

Re: Sandbox mode?

Post by i00 »

spreadsheets wrote:
Food, torches and ingredients for antidotes are plentiful and restoration stones recharge themselves
Oh ... i heard that they run out if u use one too much :?

Kris
spreadsheets

Post by spreadsheets »

i00 wrote:
spreadsheets wrote:
Food, torches and ingredients for antidotes are plentiful and restoration stones recharge themselves
Oh ... i heard that they run out if u use one too much :?

Kris
Not from my experience.
On normal, mind you.
I was just assuming that someone who was asking for a sandbox mode has no qualms with just turning down the difficulty level. :D
Jack Dandy

Post by Jack Dandy »

Jesus669 wrote:grimrock could see more sales and more positive publicity if there were features for the more casual player.
I disagree. The Demons/Dark Souls series built a name for itself out of relative obscurity, based on the simple fact it didn't hold the players hands at all. It now has a massive fanbase who like that series for that fact alone.

If it wasn't for the good design and difficulty, it would be just another hack&slash game.
Last edited by Jack Dandy on Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Darklord

Post by Darklord »

This would rip the heart out of the game and makes me sad. :cry:

Daniel.
A gently fried snail slice is absolutely delicious with a pat of butter...
Sol_HSA

Post by Sol_HSA »

The 'easy' difficulty is already pretty casual friendly. You practically don't need to dodge any attacks anywhere, etc.
Reminder: moderators (green names) don't work for almost human. | http://iki.fi/sol/ - My schtuphh..
wickermoon

Post by wickermoon »

Don't cater to the casuals!

Sorry...I know it's just an option for casuals, but really? You casuals fucked up gaming pretty hard, in my opinion. If the game starts to cater to casuals, they'll come and gather and demand an whine and what-not. I don't like you as gamers. And I don't want you to play the games I enjoy because of their difficulty, so that you can whine about how difficult it is. Go play Hello Kitty Online or WoW (essentially the same, or so I've heard).

Yes, I am intolerant on this topic.
No, I don't think everybody has to agree with me.
Yes, I will not change my mind about Casual Gamers.
No, I don't hate them as a person, just as a gamer.

Bye,
wiki
Ashtray

Post by Ashtray »

Worry not casual gamers. As level editor is coming, it is possible to make Grimrock for modern day casual gamers.

I think monsters are too hardcore, so let's forget all monsters. Also puzzles are probably too difficult for modern games who think that "Journey" is difficult to complete, so no puzzles. And all those passages in different directions, they are too distracting. So straight tunnel then, would be nice, just go forward and you complete the game.
Fadobo

Post by Fadobo »

I think the team shouldn't focus on this while there is other stuff to do, but it might be a neat addition. The amount of gamers is so much bigger than back in the day and you cannot expect everyone to be "as hardcore" and can devote "as much time" as you. Offering a great experience to a completely new target group with minor changes can be a great thing. Nobody is forced to use it and you can just de-activate achievements to keep the core-crowd happy.

Myself for example, I love difficult games (i.e. Dark Souls), but I hate timers. I love taking my time exploring everything, preparing well for difficult tasks and sometimes going back to "grind" to be better prepared. The food-meter is nothing but a timer with limited re-fills. In Grimrock you have more than enough food on lower difficulties, but I can see how this one thing can completely turn people off.

And if somebody says: "I can not have fun with this game, because it has a mode where somebody who is different than me can enjoy it in a different way" than you should realize, that you are being one hell of a douche.
Filipsan

Post by Filipsan »

Stalkingwolf

Post by Stalkingwolf »

you get every level an orgasm?
He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster