D3DError - D3DXCompileShader failed

Have trouble running Grimrock 1 or you're wondering if your graphics card is supported? Look for help here.
veector

D3DError - D3DXCompileShader failed

Post by veector »

Hi friendly developers

I've had a rough time getting the game going on my primary gaming rig. All of my other PCs seem to run the game fine, however, I'd really like to figure this out since this PC has the nicest GPU.

After sorting out a DirectX issue by deleting the DLLs then reinstalling DirectX, I'm getting this error on launch:

The following error occurred while starting up the game:
D3DError - D3DXCompileShader failed: ERROR_BAD_EXE_FORMAT

Please check that your computer meets the minimum system requirements, DirectX 9 is properly installed, and that your graphics and sound card drivers are up to date.

This happens with both the standalone and Steam versions of the game. I'm positive the game is well below my system specs and I'm got everything installed correctly. DXDiag reports no issues.

EDIT: System specs & setup
AMD FX-8120 CPU
HIS Radeon HD 6950 displaying in Eyefinity 5760x1080

I'll try this with Eyefinity disabled.

Thanks
veector

Re: D3DError - D3DXCompileShader failed

Post by veector »

Disabled Eyefinity. Same issue.
uk_uk

Post by uk_uk »

Your DirectX is up-to-date?
antti

Post by antti »

My suspicion would be a faulty installation of DirectX.

Trying to uninstall DirectX by directly deleting DLLs sounds like bad news to me: Direct3D, among a few other DirectX libraries, is integrated to the OS (in Windows Vista and 7 at least) and Direct3D is not included in the DirectX end-user runtime installers since it is assumed that the user has the DLLs if his Windows install is ok. Updating these libraries is handled by Windows update and, to some extent, by game installers like ours and what goes into Windows registry can be terribly convoluted with libraries like these so manually manipulating the files can make things go loopy. For example, deleting DLLs by hand might still leave their registry keys intact causing Windows to think that the DLL is still installed and therefore will not try to add the DLL again when our game, for example, tries to install some Direct3D libraries.
Steven Seagal of gaming industry
LoneWolf2k1

Post by LoneWolf2k1 »

Same problem here :(
Was really looking forward to LoG, just grabbed it off steam and it doesn't even start.

Trying to run it on Windows 7, 64bit - I think the error might be 32/64bit related...
Exkain

Post by Exkain »

I got the same error when running the hardware compatibility test build using Window 8 (preview build 64bit) but when the full version came out the game ran fine. I did reinstall DirectX 9c and the hardware test build still refused to run but the full version works fine.

Just pointing this out to the developers, not sure if it will be helpful...
wolfwing211

Post by wolfwing211 »

Not sure if it's the same problem I had, but try right clicking on the game shortcut then "properties" and check "Disable display scaling on high DPI settings" in the compatibility tab and apply.
LoneWolf2k1

Post by LoneWolf2k1 »

Thanks for the suggestion, wolfwing211!
Unfortunately, neither enabling Windows XP compatibility mode, nor "Disable display scaling on high DPI settings" (or a combination thereof) get the game to start
:(
petri

Post by petri »

It seems like DirectX is messed up and it's trying to load a 64-bit version of DirectX when it should be loading the 32-bit version.
Could you try reinstalling DirectX from here:
http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/de ... px?id=8109
LoneWolf2k1

Post by LoneWolf2k1 »

Downloaded, installed, restarted system- no changes :|

If any other specs are needed, I'm happy to provide any info!