Missing Mouse Cursor Arrow

Have trouble running Grimrock 1 or you're wondering if your graphics card is supported? Look for help here.
FragInc

Missing Mouse Cursor Arrow

Post by FragInc »

When I start the game, the mouse cursor arrow is missing sometimes. It seems to be "invisible" because I can move my mouse around and the
menu items light up as the invisible mouse cursor passes over the different options. I have to restart the game (sometimes several times) and
then eventually it shows again. This was an issue with the BETA test program that was issued a couple months prior to game release. Any ideas
as to how to fix this issue?
antti

Re: Missing Mouse Cursor Arrow

Post by antti »

It's potentially caused by mouse cursor trails. Could you check the mouse settings in Windows?
Steven Seagal of gaming industry
FragInc

Post by FragInc »

"Display pointer trails" is not enabled.

I am running Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit - Service Pack 1

Other than this particular issue, I am enjoying the game.

Thanks for the quick reply too.
Ilsyde

Post by Ilsyde »

Is it flickering or simply invisible? Could be an issue with cursor acceleration, but I haven't seen an in-game hardware/software setting.
Have a look in Control Panel > Display > Settings > Advanced > Troubleshoot and see whether hardware acceleration is set to Full. If it is then try moving the slider to the left by one blip.
FragInc

Post by FragInc »

antti wrote:It's potentially caused by mouse cursor trails. Could you check the mouse settings in Windows?
It does seem to be associated to the cursor trails setting. I noticed that it happened again, checked the mouse properties
again and the box was checked! I did not enable this but it seems that there is a glitch with windows arbitrarily enabling it.
How frustrating is that?!? No idea what that is about and now a trouble-report is sent to Microsoft on that issue. Thanks!
quuxman

Post by quuxman »

I had the same problem but different solution. Replying here since this is the first search hit for "legend of grimrock invisible cursor".

For me, the problem was fixed by rebooting. I can't explain it. Definitely no cursor trails enabled here, I even tried turning it on and off to no avail, so that is not the only possible cause of the problem.

Windows 8 64-bit and AMD Catalyst version 12.10.