Dungeon Editor Considerations

Talk about anything related to Legend of Grimrock 2 here.
RayB

Dungeon Editor Considerations

Post by RayB »

The new Grimrock 2 dungeon editor is quite a tool! For as complex as it obviously needs to be it works pretty smoothly.

I do, however, have a couple of requests I feel are important and would greatly enhance the editor. When tile mode is selected the left side of the status bar reads:

'Brush tool: hold down left or right mouse button to draw'.

I think this information is unnecessary. Even without the benefit of having used Grimrock 1’s editor it is pretty obvious what to do with the mouse when you see the little tile icon floating around under the pointer. The only issue might be the right click drawing being different from Grim 1, but I think the LMB and RMB information above the map is enough to explain this.

The right hand side of the status bar is fine. No, it is absolutely necessary, as it shows the x-y tile coordinates. However, the left side should show the tile info of the tile that the mouse is hovering over. e.g. Tile – floor – ceiling such as:

dungeon_floor_tiles------------------Floor 1-------------------Ceil 3
(the tile under the mouse)-----(it’s floor elev.)------(it’s ceiling elev.)

Once you have created a section it would be great to know what you have done when you want to go back and change something. Granted, the tiles get lighter and darker when you change floor elevations but it is pretty hard to tell precisely what elevations they are. I also realize you can pick-up a tile using the comma or period keys while hovering over it but, while this is a nice feature, it would be great to see the info by just hovering over the tiles on the map, similar to the way the coordinates on the right show as the mouse moves over the tiles.

And, how about showing the tile names you are about to draw with the left or right buttons just to the right of LMB and RMB above the map? Although they are highlighted in the list box it would be nice to see them above the map as this is where you are mainly looking for general tile info. If room is a problem the whole info line could be moved a little to the left and the control buttons over the preview screen a little to the right.

Just some ideas. Thank you for reading.