Legend of Grimrock: Destiny's Chance.

Show off your Legend of Grimrock art, fiction, music or whatever!
AnnElfwind

Re: Legend of Grimrock: Destiny's Chance.

Post by AnnElfwind »

Eh... It's okay. So long as you come back to this story at some point.
To be honest, I'm not really playing Grimrock right now either. Got my copy of Assassin's Creed II working again and can't stop playing it. :D
CremionisD

Post by CremionisD »

Wow. I just found this yesterday and had to read until there was no more. I liked this a lot, and hope that perhaps someday the story will be continued!
Sir Tawmis

Post by Sir Tawmis »

CremionisD wrote:Wow. I just found this yesterday and had to read until there was no more. I liked this a lot, and hope that perhaps someday the story will be continued!
It's always fire in the furnace when someone comes along and comments that they enjoyed the story! I may have to return to this sooner than later! :)

First thank you for taking the time out of your day to even read my story! I am greatly honored that you set aside time to read it. Second, thank you for commenting - every writer is a struggling soul needing that validation that what they do is being read and appreciated. :)
Define ... 'Lost.' Neverending Nights - The Neverwinter Machinima that WILL make you laugh!
Also read: Legend of Grimrock: Destiny's Chance here on the forum! Check out the site I made for Legend of Grimrock: Destiny's Chance.
CremionisD

Post by CremionisD »

Sir Tawmis wrote:First thank you for taking the time out of your day to even read my story! I am greatly honored that you set aside time to read it. Second, thank you for commenting - every writer is a struggling soul needing that validation that what they do is being read and appreciated. :)
I've always enjoyed a good story, and your story is too good to be left half read. I particularly enjoyed the fact that you took your creative freedom and didn't just go only with what is in the game.

I'm pretty sure that many have liked this story, (I think) it's the most viewed thread in this particular area! That alone should work as feedback -- Not as good as really commenting, but it's still sort-of feedback, Right?

I hope others who have not (yet) commented will do so...
AnnElfwind

Post by AnnElfwind »

And don't forget me. I'm still around and waiting patiently for an update. :)
It might actually inspire me to write a continuation for my own grimrock story. :D
*can't decide on a mod to send the idiots through next :D*
Sir Tawmis

Post by Sir Tawmis »

CremionisD wrote:
Sir Tawmis wrote:First thank you for taking the time out of your day to even read my story! I am greatly honored that you set aside time to read it. Second, thank you for commenting - every writer is a struggling soul needing that validation that what they do is being read and appreciated. :)
I've always enjoyed a good story, and your story is too good to be left half read. I particularly enjoyed the fact that you took your creative freedom and didn't just go only with what is in the game. I'm pretty sure that many have liked this story, (I think) it's the most viewed thread in this particular area! That alone should work as feedback -- Not as good as really commenting, but it's still sort-of feedback, Right? I hope others who have not (yet) commented will do so...
It's true - I do think it has one of the highest views (but I think that has to do with it having a lot of additions!) But seriously - thank you very much! I'm like every other writer out there (with the exception, of probably Stephen King), who has a fragile writing ego - so kind words are strokes of blazing fire and inspiration! I have really enjoyed writing these little pieces; and as you said; I follow the game, but not completely (because that would make a very difficult story to tell... "The heroes move forward. They move forward again. The torch flickers. They look left. Find a secret button.") ;)
AnnElfwind wrote:And don't forget me. I'm still around and waiting patiently for an update. :)
It might actually inspire me to write a continuation for my own grimrock story. :D
*can't decide on a mod to send the idiots through next :D*
Hah! Thou hath not been forgotten! You were like one of the first fans for this!

I do need to set time aside to get back to this... work has been chaotic, to say the least, with the axe swinging wildly with lay offs... so I have kept busy and kept my head down...

And working on computers, usually when I get home, I stay away from my own. (As a result, my own story I am working on - not Grimlock related - has suffered greatly...)
Define ... 'Lost.' Neverending Nights - The Neverwinter Machinima that WILL make you laugh!
Also read: Legend of Grimrock: Destiny's Chance here on the forum! Check out the site I made for Legend of Grimrock: Destiny's Chance.
CremionisD

Post by CremionisD »

Sir Tawmis wrote: I do need to set time aside to get back to this... work has been chaotic, to say the least, with the axe swinging wildly with lay offs... so I have kept busy and kept my head down...
I have been looking at this forum about once or twice a month to check for a new part to the story... I was really excited when I noticed that you had replied to this thread! Well, it wasn't exactly what I hoping for, but glad to know you're still around!

The world is seems to be going all wrong these days, and I guess things are not easy for anyone. Take your time, keep you head down as you have been, and come back when things improve. I shall wait for you.
Sir Tawmis wrote: And working on computers, usually when I get home, I stay away from my own. (As a result, my own story I am working on - not Grimlock related - has suffered greatly...)
I can totally understand that. I used to be a "hobby" programmer. Once programming became my profession, I hardly write any code for my own enjoyment. So, I mostly play games with my computer these days. How lame is that!?

On a more positive note, I think I might have found the project "not related to Grimrock" you're (slowly) working on -- I'll be sure to take a look at that...
Sir Tawmis

Post by Sir Tawmis »

CremionisD wrote: I have been looking at this forum about once or twice a month to check for a new part to the story... I was really excited when I noticed that you had replied to this thread! Well, it wasn't exactly what I hoping for, but glad to know you're still around!
My goal, when time permits is to add to this at least once a week. It was an amazing blessing and release of stress and energy to be able to write it. I
CremionisD wrote: The world is seems to be going all wrong these days, and I guess things are not easy for anyone.
You are not kidding!
Sir Tawmis wrote: I can totally understand that. I used to be a "hobby" programmer. Once programming became my profession, I hardly write any code for my own enjoyment. So, I mostly play games with my computer these days. How lame is that!?
On a more positive note, I think I might have found the project "not related to Grimrock" you're (slowly) working on -- I'll be sure to take a look at that...
Hah! Not lame at all! I am going to date myself - but eons ago, I used to program for fun using BASIC and PASCAL - and made a few silly programs. That's how I first got into my computers. My friend had one of those text adventure games on his old computer where his disk drive was a cassette tape drive! (Told you, I'm old!) And I remember I did the control break and listed the commands; and that's how I first learned to program. My VERY first program was a "boxing" program where it put player 1 and player 2's health at the very top, then would scroll a bunch of lines really fast, on loop - and you press "F1" and it stops it - and whatever was at the top it would do. So for example, it would say, "Body blow for 2 damage!" and it'd take 2 points off of Player 1's health for example. And press F2, to go again, until one of the players was at 0 or less health. lol

As a huge fan of Sierra games, back in the day, (such as King's Quest, Leisure Suit Larry, Police Quest, Space Quest, Quest for Glory, Gabriel Knight, etc) - I made a text adventure game called "Final Soul" where you're stuck in a house and need to do things to get out successfully. My friend Andrew actually made an installer that uses DOSBOX that allows it to run on modern machines. (http://tawmis.com/finalsoul/ if you're interested in silliness).

I was doing something similar to what I did with GRIMROCK for another game called DRAGON AGE (from Bioware).
http://neverendingnights.com/archives/1930
Sir Tawmis

Post by Sir Tawmis »

After nearly a year... (Nov 2014 was the last time I officially added to the story!)

Blaz’tik emerged from a small brush and help up a large sized egg. “Look what I found! There’s a few others here.”

“Something laid those eggs,” Taren noted. “Something fairly large.”

“Turtles,” Coy replied. “The western coast of this island is full of them.”

“Well that means we eat something other than these little crabs,” Tawmis nudged several crabs that had been skittering by his foot. “And now that we sort of have weapons; we start moving into the island itself and see if we can’t find a way off of here.”

“The only way we’re likely to get off of this island is when we’re dead,” Coy sighed. “And even then, we’ll just be food for something on this island. So I hope you have some spiritual belief that allows your spirit to transcend away from this island.”

“Can someone –tic!- remind me why –tic!- he’s with us,” Blaz’tik muttered aloud.

“Because I’m familiar with the island,” Coy answered shortly, not realizing that Blaz’tik was being sarcastic; though it was always difficult to tell when Blaz’tik was anything other than serious, as insectoids have no influx of their voice; it’s always the same, flat, clicking sound.

The sun was beating down on the four of them as they moved along the shore. At high noon, the sun was becoming unbearable hot, forcing them to take shelter inside a small cavern on the coast’s shoreline. “These a network of caves,” Tawmis noted, exploring the back end of the cave.

Blaz’tik returned from outside, holding a tattered parchment in his hands. “Look –tic!- what I found –tic!- jammed into a log.”

Taren, the massive minotaur, approached Blaz’tik and read it aloud:

“Dear Visitor,

Welcome to my island! I hope your journey was not too detrimental to your health. I think you will find this island to be the most wonderful, yet the most perilous place, on Earth.

I don't have high hopes about your survival, but maybe you can prove me wrong.

Better equip yourself before the night falls.

The Island Master”

Tawmis returned from the back of the cave. “Son of a… So someone purposely shipwrecked us?” Tawmis looked at Coy. “Demons of Dex, who is this ‘Island Master’ Coy?” (1)

“I’ve seen him,” Coy answered, “but I can’t tell much about him. He’s shrouded in a black robe and wears a large key around his neck.”

“A wizard then,” Tawmis muttered. He glanced over at Blaz’tik, “No offense, Blaz.”

“None –tic!- taken,” Blaz’tik assured Tawmis.

Tawmis shook his head. “Why is it always wizards? I’m telling you, magic drives a sane person insane.” He looked at Blaz’tik again. “Sorry, again. No offense. It’s just it always seems to be wizards who are the main source of problems in my life. From my childhood to now.”

“It’s understandable –tic!- you’d feel as you do,” Blaz’tik assured Tawmis, his insectoid tone, flat and monotone. “I was –tic!- consumed by the magic of the –tic!- Undying One… and… for that brief –tic!- moment, I was… -tic!- not of my own mind.”

“Well,” Coy interjected, “I can promise you, without the insect’s magic, we would have never escaped the Grimrock dungeon. And without his magic, we won’t be getting away from this island.”

Taren came to stand, towering over Tawmis. “The rodent is bothersome,” his voice was deep and rumbling, “but he proved to be of great use while we were imprisoned in Grimrock. If he truly does know this island as well as he claims, he may yet again prove useful.”

Tawmis nodded in agreement. “I’m concerned that he may be using us for his own ends. He mentioned his people were on this island. What if he’s just trying to get back to them… and once he does, we’re as good as gone.”

“I shall endeavor to keep my eye on the rodent then,” Taren smiled, his teeth showing rows of glistening sharpened fangs. “I feel you’re concerned about our insectoid friend as well.”

“I am,” Tawmis whispered. “He’s not been the same since his mind merged with the Undying One. He’s not been able to channel magic – which, granted – I am somewhat thankful for. The less mages that exist in this world, all the better. But if this Island Keeper is some kind of mage – then having Blaz’tik at full power might be beneficial.”

Last edited by Sir Tawmis on Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
AnnElfwind

Post by AnnElfwind »

Woot! An update!

I do wonder what agenda Coy has. I mean, he is a rat... Those are generally not trusted. On the other hand, he's a very interesting character and it would be sat if he betrayed them.
So hopefully it will not happen.

And I am already looking forward to the part where there will be more of the Island Master character. Considering that I never actually managed to finish the main game of LoG2, this will be really interesting, I'm sure. It might give me some insight into the map and maybe kick me so hard that I actually return to it.
I mean, I'm still playing Grimrock2, but not really the main map, just mods. :D

Can't wait for the next update. :)