Forum Clean Up - Pruning Users.

Announcements and discussion regarding the forums.
Sir Tawmis

Forum Clean Up - Pruning Users.

Post by Sir Tawmis »

So the forum had over 335 pages of users; a large portion of those are clearly spambots hitting the forum and "registering" accounts.

I have gone through and pruned all users that had 0 posts that joined after Jan 01, 2013 (that gave them 3 years to at least post ONE post). As a result, some actual posters, who registered and lurked, would have had their accounts purged. For that, I apologize. Simply register, and post something (even a quick hello, intro, question, etc) and that will save you from any potential future purges. (Don't know if I will be doing it in the future; just thought the spam bot problem was getting way out of hand with a ton of "registered" users with questionable links in their profiles). So I figured I'd wipe the slate clean with anyone who had 0 posts since Jan 1st, 2013. Again, I apologize if you were someone who registered (legitimately) but never posted; but I feel like it was something that needed to be done. Now that I am more actively watching users who register, I hope to destroy the spambot registered users before it gets out of hand again.

Thanks for understanding!

- Sir Tawmis
Destroyer of Spambots.

EDIT: Purge is complete. Went from 335 pages of "registered" users to 250 pages of registered users, who at least have 1 post or more since Jan 01, 2013. I hope to keep an eye on new folks who register and determine if they're spambots or not.

EDIT 2: I checked the member list; and even with that prune, we had about 40 pages of "Registered" members with 0 posts. I put the purge date to 4-01-2012, and purged. The purge is complete.

EDIT 3: Still 10+ pages of 0 posts - so knocking the date back to March 1st, 2012. Purge complete.
Define ... 'Lost.' Neverending Nights - The Neverwinter Machinima that WILL make you laugh!
Also read: Legend of Grimrock: Destiny's Chance here on the forum! Check out the site I made for Legend of Grimrock: Destiny's Chance.
Dr.Disaster

Re: Forum Clean Up - Pruning Users.

Post by Dr.Disaster »

Seems a good idea to me. Just make sure the site admin's account (it also has 0 posts) ain't killed off alongside.
Sir Tawmis

Post by Sir Tawmis »

Dr.Disaster wrote:Seems a good idea to me. Just make sure the site admin's account (it also has 0 posts) ain't killed off alongside.
I set the date after the creation of the forum (by a few months). But also, admins are immune to purge.
Define ... 'Lost.' Neverending Nights - The Neverwinter Machinima that WILL make you laugh!
Also read: Legend of Grimrock: Destiny's Chance here on the forum! Check out the site I made for Legend of Grimrock: Destiny's Chance.
Komag

Post by Komag »

Good work man!
Finished Dungeons - complete mods to play
Sir Tawmis

Post by Sir Tawmis »

Komag wrote:Good work man!
Thank you, sir.
Sir Tawmis

Post by Sir Tawmis »

Since we now have a fresh restart - those with 0 posts for more than a week, I am sending them a PM on the forum to ask them what their favorite thing about any LOG game is - and if they don't reply, I am going to purge their account and suspect that they're spammers, essentially giving them 2 weeks to post something and 1 week to at least respond to my PM, which ever happens first.
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

I have forum accounts that are more than 7 sears old with maybe 5 posts on them, but I still like to log in, and like that the Join date is ancient. Is there no way to tag them as needing moderator approval before posting, rather than deleting their accounts outright?

(Obviously some value their accounts more than others. :mrgreen: )
Sir Tawmis

Post by Sir Tawmis »

Isaac wrote:I have forum accounts that are more than 7 sears old with maybe 5 posts on them, but I still like to log in, and like that the Join date is ancient. Is there no way to tag them as needing moderator approval before posting, rather than deleting their accounts outright?

(Obviously some value their accounts more than others. :mrgreen: )
Yes, there is. I've mentioned that to the admins - but they haven't turned that function on. That would be the ideal way of doing this. So, until (if?) they do - just going to handle it this way. :)
Tarbomb

Post by Tarbomb »

Don't purge me lol.

Also I can't wait to see when this new engine I hear about on the forums comes to fruition, registered just so I could be sure to be in on the latest news because I am yearning for something new from here, another Grimrock or not.
Sir Tawmis

Post by Sir Tawmis »

Tarbomb wrote:Don't purge me lol.
Also I can't wait to see when this new engine I hear about on the forums comes to fruition, registered just so I could be sure to be in on the latest news because I am yearning for something new from here, another Grimrock or not.
By posting, you've been saved from the Great Purge. :lol: