Character damage display complaint

Talk about anything Legend of Grimrock 1 related here.
Darlos9D

Character damage display complaint

Post by Darlos9D »

So I posted this in the LoG 2 suggestion thread, but it's not some massive gameplay change or anything and might even be patch-worthy (plus nobody really seemed to address it there), so I'll make a new thread for it.

I have a problem with how damage to your characters is shown. Namely, the fact that the red blob that shows the damage completely covers your heath and energy bars briefly. I think this is pretty inconvenient, since it's the moment after your character gets hit that you're going to want to see their health bar and decide whether or not it's time to retreat or move characters around or chug a health potion. With the way it's set up now, it's impossible to make that determination right away. This is particularly bad in situations where characters might be getting hit rapidly (like Fighter's Challenge or something), since when that happens you basically can't see their health bar at all! This basically makes the health bar useless, which is kinda bad UI design, to be frank.

I'd very much appreciate it if some consideration was given to this issue. I think the easiest solution would be to just move the damage indicator to the character's portrait, which is a UI element one typically doesn't care about.
teviko

Re: Character damage display complaint

Post by teviko »

I kinda agree with this, as long as you can still click on portraits even with the 'damage' popping up.
Darlos9D

Post by Darlos9D »

teviko wrote:I kinda agree with this, as long as you can still click on portraits even with the 'damage' popping up.
Oh well of course. It would be silly if you couldn't. It's not like you'd lose track of where the portrait is.
podbelski

Post by podbelski »

+++
very annoying...
b8w2N7r6Wz0q5e

Post by b8w2N7r6Wz0q5e »

UI behavior I found annoying:
  • As mentioned, damage display covers too much stuff.
  • Damage/healing display is delayed until spell menu is closed - misleading.
  • Spell menu covers up health/magic gauges - too much menu management.
A party of 4 mages exacerbated the problems.
podbelski

Post by podbelski »

... there was an option in EotB to display health in numbers instead of a graphic bar, I also miss it in LGR
Darlos9D

Post by Darlos9D »

podbelski wrote:... there was an option in EotB to display health in numbers instead of a graphic bar, I also miss it in LGR
You're right. Though even if you had that option, it'd still be obscured by the damage display when you are hit. So that's not really a solution.
podbelski

Post by podbelski »

Darlos9D wrote:
podbelski wrote:... there was an option in EotB to display health in numbers instead of a graphic bar, I also miss it in LGR
You're right. Though even if you had that option, it'd still be obscured by the damage display when you are hit. So that's not really a solution.
sure
I mean it's good to have that option implemented when 'damage display' thing is fixed
WaterKnight

Post by WaterKnight »

It is severe when standing in a poison cloud because it effects all characters permanently. Maybe that is even wanted to be a bit more realistic that you cannot immediately measure your wounds and especially poisons disguise themselves. Gameplay-wise, it is too much for four characters.
Darlos9D

Post by Darlos9D »

WaterKnight wrote:It is severe when standing in a poison cloud because it effects all characters permanently. Maybe that is even wanted to be a bit more realistic that you cannot immediately measure your wounds and especially poisons disguise themselves. Gameplay-wise, it is too much for four characters.
Yeah, you could make that argument. But the games that this game is based on were never like that, so it seems a bit arbitrary since this is supposed to be a throwback.