Similar games on ipad?

Talk about anything Legend of Grimrock 1 related here.
AEWHistory

Similar games on ipad?

Post by AEWHistory »

So it seems that there won’t be a version of LoG2 on iPad anytime soon, so I will have to go for the next best thing to meet my addiction..... is there anything similar to LoG on the iPad? I’m a old fan of Dungeon Master and these are really the only RPGs that I care for, so I am hoping that there is something.

Many thanks!
Sir Tawmis

Re: Similar games on ipad?

Post by Sir Tawmis »

AEWHistory wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:33 pm So it seems that there won’t be a version of LoG2 on iPad anytime soon, so I will have to go for the next best thing to meet my addiction..... is there anything similar to LoG on the iPad? I’m a old fan of Dungeon Master and these are really the only RPGs that I care for, so I am hoping that there is something.

Many thanks!
Not sure if all of these games are still available (some drop off if they do not maintain the game for current iOS)... but this has a good list...

https://toucharcade.com/2018/02/22/the- ... -and-ipad/

Ones I am familiar with, or thoughts on...

The Bard’s Tale - Not the original classic, but a modernized version of it.

The Deep Paths - Looks like a LOG clone. Exactly like LOG.

Mazes of Karradash 2 - Looks like the classic RPG dungeon crawler.

The Quest - I have this one... reminds me of... a bad version of Realms of Arkania.

7 Mages - Looks like they borrow very heavily from the Wizardry series.
Define ... 'Lost.' Neverending Nights - The Neverwinter Machinima that WILL make you laugh!
Also read: Legend of Grimrock: Destiny's Chance here on the forum! Check out the site I made for Legend of Grimrock: Destiny's Chance.
monkfish

Post by monkfish »

I actually played all of them, so allow me to provide a little more context.
Sir Tawmis wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:25 am The Deep Paths - Looks like a LOG clone. Exactly like LOG.
Both are party based 3d dungeon crawlers, that's right. They feel totally different, though. LOG is much more polished, has more depth and immersion, offers more variety in playing styles, and the way you mange your inventory in Deep Paths is simply beyond the pale.
Sir Tawmis wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:25 am Mazes of Karradash 2 - Looks like the classic RPG dungeon crawler.
I guess the most important info about this one is: no automap. If you're ok with that, expect a simple old school dungeon crawler.
Sir Tawmis wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:25 am The Quest - I have this one... reminds me of... a bad version of Realms of Arkania.
The Realms of Arkania games were party based, and combat happened in an isometric view. The quest, on the other hand, is a solo adventure, and everything takes place in grid-based 3d. While the graphics are not as modern as LOG (and that might very well be intentional), it's actually a decent game with quite some depth, and there's a lot of additional content available.
Sir Tawmis wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:25 am 7 Mages - Looks like they borrow very heavily from the Wizardry series.
In my personal opinion 7 Mages is by far the best of the lot, both in terms of the story (remember the seven samurai?) and settings (e.g. there's a whole underwater level, and one up in the sky, among other things) and because you can split the party, which allows for some interesting puzzles. It took me about 2 hours to get the hang of it, but the first few levels are free, so you can try before you buy. I can't recommend this game enough, but it appears I'm not alone, see this review on pocket tactics https://www.pockettactics.com/reviews/review-7-mages/

On their website, the developer presents a series of interviews with each of the seven mages to explain how the game works, a rather excellent idea http://www.7mages.net/en
Pompidom

Post by Pompidom »

monkfish wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 9:47 pm
In my personal opinion 7 Mages is by far the best of the lot
Of all the games you mentioned I only tried out 7 Mages.
It's hands down the most awful game I ever tried on a touchscreen based platform.

There is not a single aspect about this game that's even remotely enjoyable.

From having to restart the game 20+ times until you roll a character with fair stats to RNG based key battles where the outcome between victory and party wipe are 100% decided on the RNG if your party gets the first turn or the enemy does.

Crappy puzzles, graphics, balance, gameplay.

If that's supposed to be the best of the bunch. Then I can only imagine how atrociously bad these other games must be.