Random party setup?

Talk about anything Legend of Grimrock 1 related here.
Thels

Re: Random party setup?

Post by Thels »

Eobersig wrote:Pizard is the boss, fighter with willpower 16, that guy has charisma! :)
Guy? The right two portraits are girls, not?
Merethif wrote:Actually Willpower comes handy for unarmed fighters/rogue. I've found out that my rogues that fights unarmed use lots of energy.
I can assure you that Swords also uses a lot of Energy. Not as much as Unarmed, but still a lot.
Eobersig

Post by Eobersig »

Thels wrote:
Eobersig wrote:Pizard is the boss, fighter with willpower 16, that guy has charisma! :)
Guy? The right two portraits are girls, not? ...
I'm not that educated about the gender of minotaurs, lizardmen and insectoids. The random number generator wouldn't let me have that hot red-haired human lass! :) Just arrived at dungeon level 3.
SpoilerShow
Spiders,
here we come!
Merethif

Post by Merethif »

I've tried this random generator (only one roll for skills though) and that's result:

Insectoid Rogue, Strong Mind and Though, Str 12, Dex 11, Vit 10, Will 20, skill: Daggers 3
Minotaur Fighter, Poison Resistant and Demon Ancestor, Str 15, Dex 10, Vit 16, Will 11, skill: Arnour 1
Minotaur Mage (the only female), Head Hunter and Strong Mind, Str 19, Dex 6, Vit 18, Will 11, skill: Fire Magic 1
Lizardman Fighter, Aura and Fist Fighter, Str 16, Dex 12, Vit 12, Will 9, skill: Unarmed 3

This Lizardman Fighter seems pretty good actually - rolling Fist Fighter and Unarmed on the same character was a big surprise.
Minotaur Mage is a bit awkward though, with Head Hunter trait and high Strength she will probably end up with some throwing weapon or spear to back up her low mana ;-)
Thels

Post by Thels »

At least the Mage has Strong Mind. :)

But the other 3 seem quite ok. The fighters could make nice tanks if you go Unarmed on one, and Armour 8/Swords on the other. :)

Actually, Daggers 3 on the Rogue is perhaps a bit of a waste, since you'll already have 2 fighters to put in the front. And well, that 20 Willpower is useless for Archers/Throwers.

If only you could swap the stats on the Rogue and the Mage, it would be a near perfect party. ;)

Good luck there, Eobersig.
Eobersig

Post by Eobersig »

Thought I should keep the interested people updated: dungeon level 5 now and big difficulties with the random team.
SpoilerShow
The flying things with shock attack, no idea what they're called, looks like I can't get past them, and there are at least two of them on the level. They have a distance attack and you get one while you're trapped in a corner,
thus no room or distance to move. Might be the end of the random team. :)
Merethif

Post by Merethif »

Eobersig wrote:(...) Might be the end of the random team. :)
Thanks for update and don't give up!
SpoilerShow
I think those creatures are called Wyverns. Anyway if you mean the ones at the pits near key, you can try to close pits and run to another room before the walls rise and let those monsters free. If you means the ones after you open locked door then there are lots of those 2x2 rooms but I guess it's tricky to win when you get cornered. Note that there is crystal just after those two wyverns, so it's only one party member that have to survive this encounter.
I'm at the same level, just several rooms further. Playing without almost any ranged attack is somewhat difficult as I'm not used to it. Both my previous parties relied heavily on ranged attacks and spells. I hope I will find Scroll of Fireball soon.

And here are my random heroes if anyone interested:
SpoilerShow
Eobersig

Post by Eobersig »

Nice party Merethif.

I reckon my main problem is my insectoid fighter in the front row. He has 89 hitpoints, I'm trying to get his armor up so that he can use heavy - but I'm unsure whether he can carry it, he can only carry 51 kgs. :)

Anyway, the random party made it past the Wyverns, even with my private "no death" rule still intact, but it took a lot of detours. Kiting the things into a room where I had both space to move and a door to hide behind. And kiting some others into a room where I could jump down into the pit when things got ugly. :)
Merethif

Post by Merethif »

I've just finished LoG with my first random party generated with the rules from this thread.
My private rule was that the skill rolled during character creation has to be main skill for that character, or at least significant one (in case of defensive or auxiliary skills).
Below are character sheets of this party:
SpoilerShow
I was quite lucky to roll two decent fighters - especially this lizardman with Fist Fighter trait and Unarmed.
The minotaur mage turned out to be very refreshing character. Actually she was a priestess of Svarog, a fiery deity from minotaurs' pantheon. Inspired by divine wrath, she stroked enemies with purifying flames and sacred throwing axes. The minotaur fighter was a temple servant, sent forth as her guardian, hence his high Armours and Athletic skills.