[Preview] Requiem for Kraken's Arm

Are you looking for fun Custom Dungeons that you could play or do you want to share your mod with others? Then this forum is for you!
Ixnatifual

Re: [Preview] Requiem for Kraken's Arm

Post by Ixnatifual »

That snow scenery looks so harsh and uninviting. I'm looking forward having my party freezing to death there :)
sapientCrow

Post by sapientCrow »

The snow area looks awesome. Based on the screenshot it looks a lot less square and definitely unique.
Looks great!!
minmay

Post by minmay »

Skuggasveinn mentioned a rope ladder in the thread for his snow tileset, so now I have to post a screenshot of my rope "ladder" (which is unfinished) so that I have proof in the future that I did not steal anything from him:
SpoilerShow
This is not an interesting screenshot in any way, just an unfinished model with an incorrect UV map and no animation yet. But if you look carefully you can see one of the mod's finely detailed snowflakes.
Grimrock 1 dungeon
Grimrock 2 resources
I no longer answer scripting questions in private messages. Please ask in a forum topic or this Discord server.
Drakkan

Post by Drakkan »

minmay wrote:Skuggasveinn mentioned a rope ladder in the thread for his snow tileset, so now I have to post a screenshot of my rope "ladder" (which is unfinished) so that I have proof in the future that I did not steal anything from him:
SpoilerShow
This is not an interesting screenshot in any way, just an unfinished model with an incorrect UV map and no animation yet. But if you look carefully you can see one of the mod's finely detailed snowflakes.
that rock and flake seems high quality textured. I wonder how performance is going to be up :) also it is little unfortunate that we will have TWO great snow assets, on the other side maybe combining it together would bring even better feeling. Looking froward to it !
Breath from the unpromising waters.
Eye of the Atlantis
minmay

Post by minmay »

The rock texture is just a recolouring of the original beach/forest rock, with the same resolution (2048x2048). Texture memory requirements should end up being about the same as the original campaign since a lot of standard textures aren't needed. Maybe slightly higher. You can always reduce texture resolution in the options if you have to.
Grimrock 1 dungeon
Grimrock 2 resources
I no longer answer scripting questions in private messages. Please ask in a forum topic or this Discord server.
Azel

Post by Azel »

Enough with the teasing, release the Kraken, bra' :mrgreen:
Grimfan

Post by Grimfan »

Can't wait to play this dungeon. So many innovative features that will set it apart from most other mods (particularly those of us without your classy skills). Curse me for not starting to learn this stuff until I was old, grey and half-senile. :)

By the way, I think of your rope ladder as more of a knotted climbing rope than a "true" rope ladder (that basically resembles a ladder made out of rope). If you eventually release your rope for public use I would probably use both your rope and Skuggs rope ladder together, as the more climbing options there are in the game the better.
minmay

Post by minmay »

Yeah, that's why I put "ladder" in quotes. I know it's not a rope ladder; just a plain old rope, that happens to be functionally identical to a ladder.

And yes, the entirety of the mod's assets will be released for public use at the same time the mod is, under the most permissive licensing possible; same situation as Lost Halls of the Drinn. The way licensing information is listed in the source is also greatly improved: every file has a corresponding .txt file detailing all sources used and the resulting most permissive possible license. Most assets are CC BY or CC 0 compatible with some CC BY-NC.
Grimrock 1 dungeon
Grimrock 2 resources
Grimfan

Post by Grimfan »

minmay wrote:Yeah, that's why I put "ladder" in quotes. I know it's not a rope ladder; just a plain old rope, that happens to be functionally identical to a ladder.
Did I mention my failing eyesight along with my encroaching senility. :roll:
minmay

Post by minmay »

A big weakness of Lost Halls of the Drinn was that it didn't work properly with low rendering quality. Translucent models became invisible, that sort of thing.
This will not be the case with my Grimrock 2 mods. Not only does the new Config.getRenderingQuality() function allow me to adjust asset definitions accordingly, I've added many other graphics options:
- The detail of weather effects, such as the rain, clouds, and lightning shown in previous screenshots, can be adjusted, or they can even be turned off entirely. Combat particle effects can also be adjusted.
- For running on really low performance computers, you can limit draw distance.
- You can adjust the distance at which models stop animating and/or switch to their low detail meshes. Compare these two screenshots side by side for a demonstration; the first one is default, the second is max detail (models always animate and use their high detail meshes). The difference in the screenshots is subtle but it's very noticeable when you're actually playing.
- Most importantly, these options don't require any saving/reloading like changing resolution etc. does. Some aren't quite real-time - the mesh distance one has about a 100ms delay (depending on the level) since it has to update so many models - but they don't cause any significant wait.
Grimrock 1 dungeon
Grimrock 2 resources