[New Mod] Falagar - A Journey

Are you looking for fun Custom Dungeons that you could play or do you want to share your mod with others? Then this forum is for you!
Isaac

Re: [New Mod] Falagar - A Journey

Post by Isaac »

Kirill wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:31 amGood mods have challenging combat and simple puzzles. Also nice quality of places, rich in details.
And I would say that 'good mods' are also the reverse of that; with more challenging puzzles. We do agree on quality scenery, rich with details. 8-)

*But I would be fine with a map that had no monsters—so long as it had some measure of gameplay; just puzzles & traps, or even just incredible scenes.
Last edited by Isaac on Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lorial

Post by Lorial »

Who said there were no challenging fights or situations at all? I believe the game/mod offers enough modifiers for you to create your own challenge. Go solo, grab a branch and go naked - that should do the trick. Have you ever heard the term "house rules" in which you limit yourself in an RP-friendly kind of way? I do that all the time and it makes (re-)playing RPGs so much more fun and entertaining.

One might wonder why you brought it up in the first place, though. Was it simply to boast a little? A poor attempt to make me change the mod? Have you even tried the mod once? Judging a book by its cover has always been a smrt attitude.

When I replied with a simple "bye" I meant that, I am not interested in convincing you to give it a try. See, creating something for everyone just isn't possible. While some wanted the food to be scarce or even have harsh consequences (perma-death perhaps?!), others complained about the lack thereof... it is a "brutal challenge" you simply cannot win. ;)
Zo Kath Ra

Post by Zo Kath Ra »

Now we're discussing what constitutes a well-made mod... :roll:
Kirill

Post by Kirill »

Isaac wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:58 am
Kirill wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:31 amGood mods have challenging combat and simple puzzles. Also nice quality of places, rich in details.
And I would say that 'good mods' are also the reverse of that; with more challenging puzzles. We do agree on quality scenery, rich with details. 8-)

*But I would be fine with a map that had no monsters—so long as it had some measure of gameplay; just puzzles & traps, or even just incredible scenes.
As long as forum do not ban me for expressing "wrong" opinion like Big Tech banned President Trump - i am ok.

So thank you for your feedback.
Kirill

Post by Kirill »

Lorial wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:17 am Who said there were no challenging fights or situations at all? I believe the game/mod offers enough modifiers for you to create your own challenge. Go solo, grab a branch and go naked - that should do the trick. Have you ever heard the term "house rules" in which you limit yourself in an RP-friendly kind of way? I do that all the time and it makes (re-)playing RPGs so much more fun and entertaining.

One might wonder why you brought it up in the first place, though. Was it simply to boast a little? A poor attempt to make me change the mod? Have you even tried the mod once? Judging a book by its cover has always been a smrt attitude.

When I replied with a simple "bye" I meant that, I am not interested in convincing you to give it a try. See, creating something for everyone just isn't possible. While some wanted the food to be scarce or even have harsh consequences (perma-death perhaps?!), others complained about the lack thereof... it is a "brutal challenge" you simply cannot win. ;)
Your wrote yourself that mode is not challenging in combat.

-> So if you are a seasoned player expecting a brutal challenge, look elsewhere. You might want to take care of your resistances, though. I would rate it "M" for medium difficulty.

So many easy-medium mods, but few mods for old-school hardcore gamers who like challenge.
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

Kirill wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:41 pm So many easy-medium mods, but few mods for old-school hardcore gamers who like challenge.
... of which I am one. ;)

My favorite time in Grimrock two was playing Ironman through the Cemetery—and losing six or seven times in the pit of undead at the end; with no save possible, and must complete the entire map before reaching the tough fight at very end. I had to complete the entire map with no reloading; party death a full restart from the front steps. It took several attempts.

But combat is not the only worthy challenge. ;) —It's the one you personally seem to like the most, and you label —the rest of it— all as 'for casuals'. Don't you see that other players can consider the combat part as being —the rest of it— and them preferring the non-combat challenges as the meat of the game.
Kirill

Post by Kirill »

Isaac wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:55 pm
Kirill wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:41 pm So many easy-medium mods, but few mods for old-school hardcore gamers who like challenge.
... of which I am one. ;)

My favorite time in Grimrock two was playing Ironman through the Cemetery—and losing six or seven times in the pit of undead at the end; with no save possible, and must complete the entire map before reaching the tough fight at very end. I had to complete the entire map with no reloading; party death a full restart from the front steps. It took several attempts.

But combat is not the only worthy challenge. ;) —It's the one you personally seem to like the most, and you label —the rest of it— all as 'for casuals'. Don't you see that other players can consider the combat part as being —the rest of it— and them preferring the non-combat challenges as the meat of the game.
Can you recommend challenging (and quality!) mods for LoG2?

Do not want to try like 50+ of them to find some good ones.
Lorial

Post by Lorial »

The mod is going to get updated to version 1.37 soonish with another polishing update, smoother edges, more hints, better puzzles etc.
And it will be extremely challenging, unplayable even. Or maybe not.

Stay tuned.
Kirill

Post by Kirill »

Lorial wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 5:16 pm And it will be extremely challenging, unplayable even. Or maybe not.
You add more puzzles?

Or what exactly will make it challenging?
Cave wizard

Post by Cave wizard »

This discussion about challenging combat sounds off to me. I've played the mod on hard difficulty and there are absolutely challenging encounters in it. Not the kind where you are locked inside a small room with fifteen dangerous enemies that some mods may or may not use, but it's definitely at least on the level of the base game. I don't think anyone will claim that the ice caves can be considered easy. Maybe you'll breeze through with a hyper-optimized party, but mine is at least solid and I had to reload a number of times. Some encounters could stand to be a little harder, but this is definitely not a pure puzzle mod with no enemy resistance.