[Open / Signup] One Room Round Robin 3 - Calling All Modders

Ask for help about creating mods and scripts for Grimrock 2 or share your tips, scripts, tools and assets with other modders here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
Isaac

Re: [Open / Signup] One Room Round Robin 3 - Calling All Mod

Post by Isaac »

Last version, and I will update to that one. :)
AndakRainor

Post by AndakRainor »

ORRR3 - R049 uploaded: Spell pack updated.

So it's been a long time we agreed to wait for more contributors. What is the state of the project?
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

I don't think anything has happened with it in a long time. I am going to look through R049 tonight; the whole thing.
THOM

Post by THOM »

Hi Folks.

There has been no traffic here for a long time. It would be very sad, if ORRR3 would never see the light of the day. So many people gave so much energy into everything so far.

So I say, I take in my hands to get this project finished. If you like.

My skills are clearly storytelling and leveldesign (or better "levelconcepting"). [My profession is being an actor, director and writer.]

My skills are not technics or scripting - even if I got my experiences here over the last years. So I would need help if we would come to more elaborated tasks...

What I would like to do next would be
- revisiting the whole mod
- adding features to tell a main-story
- giving the common areas a pleasing and atmospheric design
- contacting every roomdesigner and discuss glitches and bugs (I found some already)

The common areas are still in an unsatisfying state and need a great overhaul. There are no big ideas at the moment. What I miss the most is a great element for a hub or another important spot on the map (like the main hallway of ORRR2, which was very impressive).
Therefore we hava a lot of free space in our filesize it should absolutely be possible to add something special. Right at the moment I havn't a certain proposal yet. If I get an idea I will discuss it here - or you make some suggestions.

So, if you want me to do all this, I would start right now. With a bit luck we can finish ORRR3 till the end of the year.
THOM formaly known as tschrage

Post by minmay »

THOM wrote:Therefore we hava a lot of free space in our filesize it should absolutely be possible to add something special.
I think you're on your own there. The last time a room was added was about two years ago. I doubt there are many people still interested in working on ORRR3 at all, let alone making new art assets for a new feature when the mod doesn't even have a proper beginning or ending yet.
Grimrock 1 dungeon
Grimrock 2 resources
I no longer answer scripting questions in private messages. Please ask in a forum topic or this Discord server.
Komag

Post by Komag »

Just cobble together whatever half-baked thing you can and get it out the door!
Finished Dungeons - complete mods to play
AndakRainor

Post by AndakRainor »

Hi Thom!

If you are really motivated to do it, you can count on me to help. My only condition is that the goal must be to give the project closure, and not keep it indefinitely open to hypothetical future contributions.

When I contributed with one room, I was really disappointed to see others coming to the thread to say that it should be kept open. At that time I understood that it was nearly completed, at least on the rooms contributions aspect, so it was an unpleasant contradiction to me. Time has passed and I'm sad to see what I feared was right and the project was left dying.

I did not play test it globally so I don't really know how much is missing to make it a complete experience. Also I'm not sure you can count on all contributors to discuss/rework their rooms, I guess some of them aren't present on the forum anymore. But I don't think this is really an issue, I volunteer to fix broken rooms if their authors are not available.

So if I help you on technical aspects, do you think we can finish the mod?
THOM

Post by THOM »

minmay wrote:I think you're on your own there.
We will see...
Komag wrote:Just cobble together whatever half-baked thing you can and get it out the door!
That will not be my way to do it. Should be going on properly [I'm a German, you know... ;) ]
AndakRainor wrote: If you are really motivated to do it, you can count on me to help.
That's good to hear. 8-)
AndakRainor wrote: My only condition is that the goal must be to give the project closure, and not keep it indefinitely open to hypothetical future contributions.
As far as I see, the project is closed because we do not have any free space anymore. Only Isaac could add his room if he still want to...
AndakRainor wrote: I did not play test it globally so I don't really know how much is missing to make it a complete experience.
I'm on the way to find out...
AndakRainor wrote: Also I'm not sure you can count on all contributors to discuss/rework their rooms, I guess some of them aren't present on the forum anymore.
As far as the user-statistic says, only two seem to have left completely (three if you include John Wordsworth). All others seem to be still active or at least visit the forum from time to time.
AndakRainor wrote: I volunteer to fix broken rooms if their authors are not available.
I am not afraid, too, to make small alterations if they are necessary to get the experience/atmo/balance or whatever right. I would prefer to have this by the author himself, but if they are not interested, I undertake it. And if you help me on things, I can't do, it will get great.
AndakRainor wrote: So if I help you on technical aspects, do you think we can finish the mod?
Ansolutely.

The fist step for me will be to get an overview what we have and what has to be done. Right at the moment doing exactly that.

I will tell when I reach the next step and got some ideas what is needed and has to be done next...
THOM formaly known as tschrage

Post by kelly1111 »

Although I never contributed, I would love to see this project come to a good close. Loved versions 1 and 2
minmay

Post by minmay »

I think pretty much all the issues in my list from Oct 2016 are still present:
minmay wrote:Nothing is balanced yet.
The final boss has not been finished.
There is no ending.
The beginning is nonsensical.
The town is missing many animations for the ratlings:
- The guard ratling standing at the gate
- The guard ratling opening the gate
- Kaeli standing up while waiting for you to place the meteorite ore on the anvil
- Kaeli recoiling from the explosion when the Sealbreaker is made
- The drunk ratling sitting or leaning on the wall
(These currently use a placeholder standing animation and some placeholder standard assets animations)
Possibly the ratlings should be cut instead.
The meteorite ore doesn't have a good item icon.
The soul charm doesn't have a good model or item icon.
The Founder's Orb doesn't have a model, item icon, or description at all.
Sealbreaker doesn't have an original model or a good item icon.
Achievements are neither announced in a reasonable way, nor viewable after obtaining them.
Room completion status is not visible.
Probably more issues I missed.

[...]
  • Abandoned Town Cemetery: several bugs on the tracker, and obviously unfinished
  • Die Bruder Grimm: several bugs on the tracker
  • AdrTru's Room: several bugs on the tracker + others I've informed the author of
  • One Room Around Robin Hood: the force field to hold the party in place doesn't work, permanently locks you out of a square, extreme sound clipping problems
  • Xanathar's Digs and Bogs co.: several bugs on the tracker
  • Ascension: severe problems with models, crow, seems to be unfinished (there was a gold key with no lock, etc.)
  • The Wizard's Enclave: appears to be finished without obvious bugs
  • Tower of Babble: shite performance, ruins performance of other rooms on the level, music timing is bad if FPS is not divisible by 12, creates enormous amounts of Lua garbage, guardian cone/lightning blast animation can clip into wall models
  • Hall of Queens: appears to be finished without obvious bugs
  • The Rat Laboratory: several bugs on the tracker
  • Potion Labs: spider door bug
  • Mirror Universe: several bugs on the tracker
  • Thelonius's Hermitage: easily rendered impossible to complete, permanently breaks your savegame in multiple places unless you abide by an extremely specific and unlikely set of actions that includes bypassing multiple puzzles
  • TheCube's Room: bugs on the tracker, also the number base puzzle sometimes generates extremely long solutions that do not correspond to the shown number and are impossible to input
  • Enchanted Tower: appears to be finished without obvious bugs
  • The Lost Archives: Gower's Ring doesn't work and also crashes on save, extreme music volume is not only ethically irresponsible (you can literally damage people's ears by doing this, that's just scummy and not funny) but also virtually guarantees clipping
  • The Colour of Magic: performance problems even when outside the room, bogus camera warning on save, wall target colors are almost invisible in the top-down view with low rendering quality
Plus:
- the mod lacks appropriate ambient tracks for the levels
- AndakRainor and Duncan are both redefining the water_surface_calm material, and of course one definition is overwriting the other one. These need to be unified into a single definition that uses an onUpdate hook to change the waveAmplitude value according to which level the player is on:

Code: Select all

defineMaterial{
  name = "water_surface_calm",
  shader = "ocean_water",
  diffuseMap = "assets/textures/env/ocean_foam_dif.tga",
  normalMap = "assets/textures/env/ocean_normal.tga",
  displacementMap = "assets/textures/env/ocean_disp.tga",
  doubleSided = false,
  lighting = true,
  alphaTest = false,
  blendMode = "Translucent",
  textureAddressMode = "Wrap",
  glossiness = 80,
  depthBias = 0,
  texOffset = 0,
  foamOffset = 0,
  foamAmount = 0,
  -- HACK: heightmap does not take elevation into account => water depth is close to zero => displacement is scaled down by shader
  -- compensate this by increasing wave amplitude to unrealistic value...
  waveAmplitude = 2,
  onUpdate = function(self, time)
    if party and dc_duel_script and party.level == dc_duel_script.level then
      self:setParam("waveAmplitude",0.25)
    else
      self:setParam("waveAmplitude",2)
    end
    self:setParam("texOffset", time*0.15)
  end,
}
Probably best to just remove the ratlings in the Abandoned Town since AFAIK all the people who can animate are gone.

Unfortunately the performance problems with The Colour of Magic can only be fixed by moving its playfield to another level. I did not anticipate that another room on the same level would use reflections (occlusion culling is disabled when rendering reflections). I can easily move it to the Experiment Chamber level if nobody objects. The camera warning has already been fixed.
I've also discovered that the room doesn't play nicely with the OpenGL renderer due to its unlit shaders ignoring emissive color, but I can't think of any way to actually fix that.
Grimrock 1 dungeon
Grimrock 2 resources
I no longer answer scripting questions in private messages. Please ask in a forum topic or this Discord server.