64-bit version of LOG2

Ask for help about creating mods and scripts for Grimrock 2 or share your tips, scripts, tools and assets with other modders here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
Skuggasveinn

Re: 64-bit version of LOG2

Post by Skuggasveinn »

If you understand you correctly, save games from custom mods made in the 32bit version wouldn't load in the 64bit version? but new save games in custom mods on the 64bit version would work, so if people are in the middle of a mod they needed to start over ?, you have already made the main campaign saves compatible ?

If that's the case, I would vote (not that this is democracy, AH rules supreme here :D ) for breaking the save game compatibility between the versions, and go full 64bit, going with option B and limiting the memory available seems to me so counter intuitive to bringing the application to 64bit in the first place.

not to mention you will have to go pure 64bit at some point for LoG3 8-)

kind regards.
Skuggasveinn.
Link to all my LoG 2 assets on Nexus.
Link to all my LoG 1 assets on Nexus.
kelly1111

Post by kelly1111 »

Skuggasveinn wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:17 pm If you understand you correctly, save games from custom mods made in the 32bit version wouldn't load in the 64bit version? but new save games in custom mods on the 64bit version would work, so if people are in the middle of a mod they needed to start over ?, you have already made the main campaign saves compatible ?

If that's the case, I would vote (not that this is democracy, AH rules supreme here :D ) for breaking the save game compatibility between the versions, and go full 64bit, going with option B and limiting the memory available seems to me so counter intuitive to bringing the application to 64bit in the first place.

not to mention you will have to go pure 64bit at some point for LoG3 8-)

kind regards.
Skuggasveinn.
I second that (that is ,.... if this was a democracy) :D
petri

Post by petri »

Yes, main campaign saves could be made compatible (because I know exactly what Lua code in savegames needs to be patched) but all mod saves would break. If we update 64-bit LOG2 to Steam, that would be automatic update for everybody and could make some people very unhappy if they're in the middle of a mod playthrough...
kelly1111

Post by kelly1111 »

I will take the blame !
JohnWordsworth

Post by JohnWordsworth »

I feel like you could always throw up an error when loading these save games, and perhaps just stash the current 32-bit build in a public Steam branch and say "sorry for the inconvenience, but we've upgraded to 64-bit but this means that your save games in custom dungeons are incompatible with the current build. However, you can switch to the public beta branch X to get the old version and they will work fine until you finish your run." (I presume other platforms like GOG offer something somewhat similar).

Not ideal, but I feel like if you can make the main campaign work and it only affects active saves in custom dungeons, it's likely only a handful of people it will affect and they will have a roll-back solution.

(Easy for me to say of course, when you end up having to do a bunch of work due to a random idea you have over XMas :p).
My Grimrock Projects Page with links to the Grimrock Model Toolkit, GrimFBX, Atlas Toolkit, QuickBar, NoteBook and the Oriental Weapons Pack.
Pompidom

Post by Pompidom »

Petri,

If all else fails,

Would you consider releasing an update to steam and GoG where legend of grimrock 2 is simply prepatched with the windows NT core patch?
https://ntcore.com/?page_id=371

This basically doubles the allowed memory allocation without breaking anything.

I jammed every single publicly available asset and texture I could find in my unfinished blood Moon mod and i can't even break 3.5 GB of memory allocation.