Custom dungeon - selling on STEAM

Have trouble running Legend of Grimrock 2 or do you have questions about the purchasing options? Look for help here.
tantalan

Custom dungeon - selling on STEAM

Post by tantalan »

Hi folks, I have been browsing through STEAM and have found a game called A TAVERN OF MONKEY or something similar. It was a clone of Legend of Grimroc game and it was sold for 10 EUR. Is it legal to create own game in dungeon editor and than sell it on STEAM? How about some rights from Almost Human? If it is possible to sell such a game, can you give an advice how to do it?

Regards Tantalan
minmay

Re: Custom dungeon - selling on STEAM

Post by minmay »

tantalan wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:22 pmIs it legal to create own game in dungeon editor and than sell it on STEAM?
No.
Grimrock 1 dungeon
Grimrock 2 resources
I no longer answer scripting questions in private messages. Please ask in a forum topic or this Discord server.
Komag

Post by Komag »

What he said.
Finished Dungeons - complete mods to play
Zo Kath Ra

Post by Zo Kath Ra »

tantalan wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:22 pm Hi folks, I have been browsing through STEAM and have found a game called A TAVERN OF MONKEY or something similar. It was a clone of Legend of Grimroc game and it was sold for 10 EUR. Is it legal to create own game in dungeon editor and than sell it on STEAM? How about some rights from Almost Human? If it is possible to sell such a game, can you give an advice how to do it?

Regards Tantalan
https://store.steampowered.com/app/4925 ... ey_Tavern/
It does look suspiciously like Grimrock :-/

As for selling your mod, the "Modding and Asset Usage Terms" say no:
http://www.grimrock.net/modding_log1/mo ... age-terms/
"You cannot charge money for your mod. Using voluntary donations or advertisements in moderation are acceptable on the websites used for distributing the mod but not within the mod itself."

If you really want to sell a LoG2 mod, you could ask Almost Human if they'll license the engine to you.
But I suspect that won't come cheap...
tantalan

Post by tantalan »

Thanks to all who have responded, you have just confirmed what I have thought.
Sir Tawmis

Post by Sir Tawmis »

As the others said - you can not sell Grimrock mods. However, there are games that barely a striking resemblance to Grimrock - down to the very foundation, that look like they're Grimrock mods, but apparently not. Vaporum is an example of that.
Define ... 'Lost.' Neverending Nights - The Neverwinter Machinima that WILL make you laugh!
Also read: Legend of Grimrock: Destiny's Chance here on the forum! Check out the site I made for Legend of Grimrock: Destiny's Chance.