MASTER QUEST HELP: puzzles, clues, SECRETS, WALKTHROUGH

Talk about creating Grimrock 1 levels and mods here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
Dr.Disaster

Re: MASTER QUEST HELP: puzzles, clues, SECRETS, WALKTHROUGH

Post by Dr.Disaster »

Kirill wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:42 am
Cave wizard wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 6:26 pm but the mod was surprisingly challenging even on normal difficulty.
While I found this mod very easy even on hardest difficulty, I have played a lot of similar mods over the years, I notice others like you saying this mod was way too hard for them so I guess everyone has a different perspective!
Combat difficulty in MQ depends on the party you bring.
A new party won't see much of a difference until close to the end.
A party that has completed the main campaign once will notice that monsters are tougher then usual.
A party that has completed a lot of custom mods or finished MQ several times will face same serious opposition up to monsters being almost impossible to hit in melee (watched lvl 35 Toorum Flurry of Slashes triple-miss lots of times) while being able to deal one-hit-kills.
Komag

Post by Komag »

Cave wizard wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 6:26 pm Which are the two new bosses? I got all the secrets and treasures but never encountered a boss that I clearly recognized as new. I think the king that ranks you is new, but I never had a proper fight with it, only one where it tests you while you're stuck at the bottom of a pit with no ability to move.
Yes, that snail king fight in the pit is one of them, and the other is the multi-uggardian in the tomb
Finished Dungeons - complete mods to play
Cave wizard

Post by Cave wizard »

Dr.Disaster wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:56 am Combat difficulty in MQ depends on the party you bring.
A new party won't see much of a difference until close to the end.
A party that has completed the main campaign once will notice that monsters are tougher then usual.
A party that has completed a lot of custom mods or finished MQ several times will face same serious opposition up to monsters being almost impossible to hit in melee (watched lvl 35 Toorum Flurry of Slashes triple-miss lots of times) while being able to deal one-hit-kills.
Funny how that works. I had a suspicion that level-scaled enemies were more dangerous once you're past the beginning snails, because they were putting up more of a fight than most things I can think of in vanilla Grimrocks.
Komag wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:35 am Yes, that snail king fight in the pit is one of them, and the other is the multi-uggardian in the tomb
Thanks for clarifying. I did think the uggardian could have been new, but I wasn't certain.
wagtunes

Post by wagtunes »

I finally bit the bullet and made a short video.

https://youtu.be/iAgPZ8c7JOE

What am I doing wrong? I have watched countless videos and am doing the exact same thing.
Dr.Disaster

Post by Dr.Disaster »

wagtunes wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:27 am I finally bit the bullet and made a short video.

What am I doing wrong? I have watched countless videos and am doing the exact same thing.
I vagely remember a similar road block with those walls not opening, either during the beta test or an early release version. I also remember that Komag figured out the problem - had to do with the quakes preventing stuff from happening - created a fix and a new release of the mod.

So the only idea i got is: are you using the latest release of MQ?

This and the secret area you missed beside the last switch.
wagtunes

Post by wagtunes »

Dr.Disaster wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:26 pm
wagtunes wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:27 am I finally bit the bullet and made a short video.

I vagely remember a similar road block with those walls not opening, either during the beta test or an early release version. I also remember that Komag figured out the problem - had to do with the quakes preventing stuff from happening - created a fix and a new release of the mod.

So the only idea i got is: are you using the latest release of MQ?

This and the secret area you missed beside the last switch.
These are the releases notes of the version I have.

LEGEND OF GRIMROCK - MASTER QUEST
v1.0 MARCH 16, 2013
v1.1 MARCH 21, 2013
v1.2 MARCH 29, 2013
v1.3 APRIL 23, 2013
v1.4 OCTOBER 31, 2013

Does that secret area contain a pressure plate that triggers the script? If not, it won't matter.

** EDIT ** I just walked through it again and hit every area. Still doesn't work. I looked at the script. With the counter set to 3 and checking every instance where the counter is decremented, there is no way this should work. Two of the plates that trigger the script are on the other side of the wall. Only one plate is in an area that is accessible.
Dr.Disaster

Post by Dr.Disaster »

err .. just to make sure: you have been at the other 2 places and got the items there, right?
wagtunes

Post by wagtunes »

Dr.Disaster wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:55 am err .. just to make sure: you have been at the other 2 places and got the items there, right?
I'm not sure what other 2 places you're referring to.
wagtunes

Post by wagtunes »

Okay, if you're referring to the 2 plates on the other side of the wall, you can't get to them because there is a locked door blocking them. The door only opens from the side I'm trying to get through that I can't because the walls don't open in order to get to that door.

For what it's worth, the puzzle works perfectly in the original game so something is broken.
Dr.Disaster

Post by Dr.Disaster »

wagtunes wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:28 am Okay, if you're referring to the 2 plates on the other side of the wall, you can't get to them because there is a locked door blocking them. The door only opens from the side I'm trying to get through that I can't because the walls don't open in order to get to that door.

For what it's worth, the puzzle works perfectly in the original game so something is broken.
Sorry, but here you are wrong. There is nothing broken here. Both doors can be opened, you just need to look for the mechanisms.