MASTER QUEST HELP: puzzles, clues, SECRETS, WALKTHROUGH

Talk about creating Grimrock 1 levels and mods here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
Dr.Disaster

Re: MASTER QUEST HELP: puzzles, clues, SECRETS, WALKTHROUGH

Post by Dr.Disaster »

Yohoho199 wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:33 am I made a lot of attempts trying to beat "the dance room" in order to get last remaining secret on level 7 behind the iron door.
I finally managed to catch all shots (I'm pretty sure I didn't miss any) but for some reason I was teleported behind the iron grate as usual, and iron door didn't open. It was kind of frustrating... Could it be some kind of glitch? The missed shots counder didn't reset properly between quicksaves or something.

Yes, maybe it wasn't exactly fair on my part to try and ease things a bit by quicksaving and quickloading in the middle of the dance, but after iron door didn't open either, I made only "fair" attempts, performed in one go. The last fair and successful attempt was the one I described in the first paragraph.

I'm kind of worried the next successful attempt might also be fruitless. My inner perfectionist doesn't allow simply to go and skip this secret :) Can anything be done to solve this predicament?
Who told you to catch them?
Yohoho199

Post by Yohoho199 »

Dr.Disaster wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:12 am Who told you to catch them?
No one told me not to... But you got a point. This gives me a whole different angle to look at this issue. Thanks for the hint :)

P.S: If I really should have dodged it from the beginning, it would be a stunt... This couln't get any more stupid... :oops:
Komag

Post by Komag »

I seem to recall at least one time where two come at the same time, such that it's basically impossible to catch them all, but my memory is a bit rusty on it! I'm pretty sure I also included those handy audio clicks which are usually a good sign of something mechanically progressing.
Finished Dungeons - complete mods to play
Yohoho199

Post by Yohoho199 »

Komag wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:01 pm I seem to recall at least one time where two come at the same time, such that it's basically impossible to catch them all, but my memory is a bit rusty on it!
Two shots at a time are fired at least four times during the sequence, and its actually possible to catch a dual-shot since the charges always fly in the near tiles. The trick is in catching the right moment to strafe when the coming shot in front of you just about to hit. This way front shot hits you when you're already moving towards the adjacent tile, where you hit another shot with your side.
Komag

Post by Komag »

In that case maybe I should have included some sort of bonus double secret reward for crazy talented folks who manage to do what you accomplished! :D
scmnz

Post by scmnz »

I'm stuck at the maze of madness, probably fairly near the start.
SpoilerShow
I've gotten the scroll which says "your madness has only just begun" by pulling the lever and walking backwards, but can't figure out what on earth to do from there. I've looked for buttons, and tried walking in each direction, so I know that's not it. maybe something to do with the teleporters in the room next door, but that doesn't seem to help
What am i missing?
Komag

Post by Komag »

IIRC, a button or lever in the teleporter room (in the NE corner I think) will change something in the hallway. But it's been a while and I might be wrong somehow. I think my walkthrough covers that part.
Komag

Post by Komag »

Yes, here is that part:

MAIN CAVERN, MAZE OF MADNESS
- step on plate, run quickly either NE or SW to escape spidery death, close portcullis behind, fight spiders one at a time
- return to main cavern, fight ogre
(SECRET 6-1-45)
- go NE, far N, then W into snail room, fight snails, eat!
- proceed W into Maze of Madness
- in this room, step into the NE teleporter - it will simply turn you W if you were not already facing that way
- turn E and push "noisy control" button (there is an extra loud click), turning off a certain teleporter SW
- step in the SE teleporter, placing you in the center of the room facing E
- step W into the teleporter, which places you in the center W of the room, facing E
- step N into the teleporter, which places you further to the S of the room
- step around to the alcove in the SW corner, get the first round key there
(SECRET 6-2-46)
- return to hallway and get trapped by the true "madness"
- toggle lever that doesn't open wall, step E two steps, DON'T step S, but step back W two steps to lever, toggle again to open wall
- back in teleporters room, step in NE teleporter again and push "noisy control" again, turning off hallway trap
- return to slime room and back into hall E of it
- OPTIONAL: one round key is enough to reach the crystal - head far SE, fight two crabs beyond portcullis, W to locked door, use key, crystal in side room behind door
(PEREL 4)
Cave wizard

Post by Cave wizard »

I just finished the mod. Since I played the original game years ago and lost my save files, but still wanted to play with an appropriately leveled party, I cheated a bit. I made a new party, leveled them up through the console until they all hit 50 in their main skill, and then imported them into a new file. Maybe that's why, since I missed out on any bonus tomes and such, but the mod was surprisingly challenging even on normal difficulty.

Anyway, I've got a question since I remember almost nothing about the base game. Which are the two new bosses? I got all the secrets and treasures but never encountered a boss that I clearly recognized as new. I think the king that ranks you is new, but I never had a proper fight with it, only one where it tests you while you're stuck at the bottom of a pit with no ability to move.
Kirill

Post by Kirill »

Cave wizard wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 6:26 pm but the mod was surprisingly challenging even on normal difficulty.
While I found this mod very easy even on hardest difficulty, I have played a lot of similar mods over the years, I notice others like you saying this mod was way too hard for them so I guess everyone has a different perspective!