[MOD] Eye of the Dragon

Talk about creating Grimrock 1 levels and mods here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
wagtunes

Re: [MOD] Eye of the Dragon

Post by wagtunes »

While I am impressed at the amount of work that's gone into this (played all 3 EOB games in the 90s) I have gone as far as I can go with this mod. There is hard and then there is just ridiculous. I have keys that don't fit any of the doors I've run into at this point. The keys I need, I don't have. I am now basically going around in circles between the outside of the castle and whatever level I made it up to. Can't keep track of them all. I am literally stuck. Worst part is, no light spell scroll. So once I run out of torches (I can't believe it but that's eventually going to happen) I'll be walking around in the dark. That's where I draw the line.

This is the first mod that I won't be able to finish unless I just hack the console and cheat my way through. Kind of pointless.

Anyway, great job but I'm done.
maneus

Post by maneus »

A scroll of light can be found inside the mines (reachable from the forest at the beginning) in room with an alcove.
Inside this alcove there is a scroll of light, a normal scroll, a rotten pitroot bread and a throwing knive. 8-)
It´s south east of level 11, in the right room of the 3 rooms with all the beds inside.
wagtunes

Post by wagtunes »

How do you get past the room with the healing crystal where you start walking towards the crystal and just die?

I can't even begin to tell you how much I despise this mod. Some of these puzzles are ridiculous.
Zo Kath Ra

Post by Zo Kath Ra »

wagtunes wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:55 am How do you get past the room with the healing crystal where you start walking towards the crystal and just die?

I can't even begin to tell you how much I despise this mod. Some of these puzzles are ridiculous.
Just wait until you see
ORRR3
Dr.Disaster

Post by Dr.Disaster »

wagtunes wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:55 am How do you get past the room with the healing crystal where you start walking towards the crystal and just die?

It's been 6 years since i played this mod yet some things are hard to forget .. is this "Listen to the Dead"?
wagtunes

Post by wagtunes »

Dr.Disaster wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:05 pm

It's been 6 years since i played this mod yet some things are hard to forget .. is this "Listen to the Dead"?
Yes, why?
wagtunes

Post by wagtunes »

Okay, I figured it out.

Since when is there going to be an ORR 3?
wagtunes

Post by wagtunes »

Okay, I'm done. Multiple bolders? seriously? So I guess I have to figure out the walking pattern in order to avoid them all.

Thanks but no thanks. Have pretty much had enough of this one.
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

wagtunes wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:19 pm Since when is there going to be an ORR 3?
Since 2015 :oops:
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=9863

*I have it on reasonable authority that it is very close to completion. ;) —but it's not done yet.
wagtunes

Post by wagtunes »

** MAJOR RANT COMING **

Sometimes I wish I wasn't so stubborn. I decided to try to go on. First, some info on how I actually went into playing this mod. Started with party at level 52. If you're wondering how that's even possible, play Bloodwych. You move up a level at the beginning for getting past the test. Just do it enough times. Additionally, at the point where the puzzles became ridiculous, I ditched the keys and just hacked the doors through the console. So, technically, with a party at a level that virtually takes no damage and no door I can't get through, it should be just a matter of making it to the final level.

Except that became impossible one I reached the Astral Plane. I think it's level 31 or 32. Don't remember. I managed to sideswipe the bolders going across until finally reaching a literal dead end. The only thing in front of me is a pit which, if I drop down, ends the game with a "Lost" message. You can't go back because the bolders going through that square are going so fast that there is physically no way possible to get between two of them and go back. So I am stuck. My only option, at this point, is to hack the console and teleport my party to another level and location. Problem is, it's been so long since I've done that, I don't remember the command. Plus, I don't even know where I would teleport to with so many levels.

So this absolutely has to be where I put this mod away. A shame because ironically, it's the most fascinating mod visually and story wise of any I've played. But, and here comes the major rant, when you have to resort to levels of this difficulty, you are simply an ass. I will never play another one of your mods ever again. Burn me once, shame on you. Burn me twice, shame on me.

Maybe one day when I'm bored I'll see if I can remember how to teleport my party someplace else and continue with this train wreck. But honestly, I don't see the point. I can only imagine what stupidity is coming next and, quite honestly, I'm not in the mood for it.

At least not now.

Maybe one day you'll learn how to make a mod that is challenging without being just plain stupid.

And with that, I am done.