[Mod] Remake of Dungeon Master

Talk about creating Grimrock 1 levels and mods here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
germanny

Re: [Mod] Remake of Dungeon Master

Post by germanny »

Grimfan wrote:I've been unable to finish this mod unfortunately. The respawning pairs of beholders on level 11:6 are just way too tough for my 7th lvl party and by the time I've killed a couple of groups three more seem to take their place and I end up dying horribly, which is funny in an irritating kind of way because whatever you used in your previous version didn't give me this heartache. :(
I think I'm going to have to use my high-level party to get through it. :roll:
Yes, those beasts are disturbing^^ In original DM, they dont make noise unless they attack you.
SpoilerShow
What i can tell is that these wizard eyes and skeletons there are spawned. If you enter the room you can avoid spawning of wizeyes OR skeletons. You need skeletons!
Dungeon Master Resource Pack worker and passionated Beer drinker
Grimfan

Post by Grimfan »

Yeah I know. I opened the gate by mistake, killed a couple of them and then went away to rest stupidly forgetting about the spawn mechanic. By the time I returned there were like 5-6 pairs of them and they were completely blocking my way forward. Another problem is that the beholders (I call them beholders because they have mouths) appear in pairs, which I don't think happened in the original game (I could be wrong there). Two hits in succession is enough to kill off one or two party members, which is pretty much endgame really, and while the horn of evil helps it doesn't recharge quickly enough to be really viable. :(

I really hate spawning/respawning enemies. It's my biggest complaint in video games.

By the way, aside from this the game has been excellent. Your attention to detail and clever scripting (such as of the water gauge) is great comscript and your assets look fantastic germanny. :D
comscript

Post by comscript »

@Grimfan
I know some parts are difficult but if you used magical boxes blue(7s freeze life) and green(20s freeze life), horn of fear (2s-7s), rabbit's foot and the Staff of claws (With confuse spell 20s) it is able to get rid of those difficult moments. You can also prepare several heal potions before difficult places. You should make different saves each time you enter a new level.
(rabbits foot have to be put into the inventory, and not by clicking the portrait.)
In DM, Beholders (Wizard's Eyes) can appear in pairs.

It is true that Germanny made a wonderful work here. :)

Sorry if I don't often answer you, it is because I always need to find someone who can translate my texts. :)
GrimRockGeorge

Post by GrimRockGeorge »

Great Mod !! I am a fan of good old Dungeon Master and Chaos strikes back.

I am just playing this, so i am not there yet, but here is my question:

Is the famous ""When a rock is not a rock"" also in there ? And if it is, how did you manage that in the editor?

regards,

:)
Last edited by GrimRockGeorge on Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hustin

Post by Hustin »

germanny wrote:
Grimfan wrote:I've been unable to finish this mod unfortunately. The respawning pairs of beholders on level 11:6 are just way too tough for my 7th lvl party and by the time I've killed a couple of groups three more seem to take their place and I end up dying horribly, which is funny in an irritating kind of way because whatever you used in your previous version didn't give me this heartache. :(
I think I'm going to have to use my high-level party to get through it. :roll:
Yes, those beasts are disturbing^^ In original DM, they dont make noise unless they attack you.
SpoilerShow
What i can tell is that these wizard eyes and skeletons there are spawned. If you enter the room you can avoid spawning of wizeyes OR skeletons. You need skeletons!
Those beholders are brutal. I play using a USB numpad with the left hand and a mouse with the right; this lets me stay one step ahead of them.
LordGarth

Post by LordGarth »

If you want to put the DM music into your remake.

http://dmweb.free.fr/?q=node/620

Scroll down to the bottom of the page and they are in mp3 format which can be easily converted to ogg.

Thx,

LordGarth
Dungeon Master and DOOM will live forever.
thejabberingcorpse

Post by thejabberingcorpse »

thanks!! i finished it in one take..
but i played the original game so many times that i can dream off every corner.and in this version is everthing the same!!
i have 1 point, the gigglers are not so humouristic as in the original game..
i started now with the chaos strikes back..
Dr.Disaster

Post by Dr.Disaster »

LordGarth wrote:If you want to put the DM music into your remake.

http://dmweb.free.fr/?q=node/620

Scroll down to the bottom of the page and they are in mp3 format which can be easily converted to ogg.
Well i got the DM soundtrack CD so i must say this "music" is Yuck!
bongobeat

Post by bongobeat »

thanks for this link, it may be helpful :D
My asset pack: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=9320

Log1 mod : Toorum Manor: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=5505
Dr.Disaster

Post by Dr.Disaster »

After i've seen that you added more/better daggers to your CSB remake i'd like to ask if that would be possible for your DM remake too. It would make sense since daggers are required to make full use of the Assassination skill.

Also another thing dawned on me during the last few hours while checking thru the Hall of Champions. To be frank i can't decide on which heros to go with and after a while i knew why: DM heros are basically jack of all trades. Back in the days it was great fun to do solo runs. Starting with pure Fighters like Hulk or Stamm were prolly the hardest to start out with but once a few +Mana items were found it was only a matter of training to teach them magic.

Yet with LoG classes that's not possible. The closest thing LoG has to offer here is the Ranger class so why not start out with Toorum and fill up the party? Easy answer: all choosen heros join dead and stay dead. I know i can use the console and resurrect them but then i could even customize the whole party to my personal liking but that somehow feels wrong.

So since i can't tell if that was a thought on mod creation here is my suggestion:
how about changing the class of some of the 24 heros from pure fighter or mage to ranger?
There are several which qualify i.e. i could imagine Sonja, Syra or Elija to go ranger.